• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carp Lakes

trappingaddiction

What are some lakes in the metro area that have good populations of carp in them? I know the Mississippi has quite a few, but am wondering on some lakes or smaller rivers.

I've seen quite a few people catch some pretty nice carp out of Crooked Lake in Coon Rapids. idk never tried it myself tho.

The north and south pools of the sunrise river in carlos avery WMA is loaded with carp. And the water is fairly clear, so you can easily sight fish for them. No motors allowed (including electric).

Comfort Lake near Wyoming has them and with decent water clarity, you might be able to sight fish them. Look on the sand flats created by the shoreline owners that pull all the weeds in front of their houses. The carp will roam around there. It's kind of like fishing for bonefish on the flats in the Caribbean, just bring some rum wink

I always do well at Nokomis and Twin Lake up in Brooklyn Center. Most lakes have carp in them, but I usually only catch the little ones on other lakes. I've caught several 33-35" carp in Nokomis and Twin.

This one is one of the 34" ones from Nokomis. If you look at the map, there's a small point on the east side. That's where I have the best luck. Just a hook with corn, swivel about 24" up and a sinker.

BAPkm.jpg

There are so many freaking carp to be found in Nokomis, its ridiculous. I've always seen the most on either side of the bridge, just off to the side around each corner, but there are times I see them roaming in the shallows between the weeds and shore anywhere around the perimeter. The point you're referring to is a great spot, cause there are also the 2 storm sewer runoff pipes that outlet just around the bend. I don't usually target them, but if I were going to I'd just walk a block down the street to Nokomis and do it there for sure.

I have got some nice carp in the Mississippi down town Minneapolis by the stone arch bridge there is a spill over area just south of the lock and dam its calm clear(usually) water and its easy to site fish them. Also caught some catfish there in the main channel.

1+ twin lake in bc. There is a ton of them in there and they are pretty big.

Otherewise any of the lake in the rice creek chain is loaded with carp. Long lake in new Brighton is stacked with them, I was working on a deck at a house on the lake there a month ago and all day they were jumping. Locke lake is just about the same. I bet you could make a heck of a haul if you started at the pelteir lake dam and worked your way down to the sippi.

Martin Lake in northern Anoka county is jam packed with them. At times it's hard to go more than a few minutes without seeing or hearing one jump and although the lake is extremely murky I have pulled up on groups of lily pads and counted more than 12 carp right on the surface just sitting there... The lake needs to be netted badly

Is there a dock or is it just shore fishing for twin lake, BC? I don't seem to find to much info on that lake? what else is in that lake?

Is there a dock or is it just shore fishing for twin lake, BC? I don't seem to find to much info on that lake? what else is in that lake?

There is a bunch of shore to fish on the south lake and up the ne side of the middle lake.

On the nw corner of the middle lake there is a pretty big fishing dock, but I'm not aware of how to get to it. I see a couple people out on it each time I go out in the boat but have yet to bother driving over there to check it out.

NP, let me know how you do. I started off the open water season fishing there like every day and I never did try going after the carp. Every time I was there I saw a handful of pigs swimming around so I bet if you targeted them you would be surprised at how big they are.