• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Kind Of Fish Is This???

Solocam Hunter

I know one of the fishes is a buffalo, but what are the 2 fishes on the left?

IMG_6359.jpg

Looks like something that came out of a fish tank...seem like it could be a invasive species...

I hope that was caught waaayyy south of minnesota.

If it was caught in MN I would contact the DNR asap...

What the freak?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!

Two of them are freaking tilapia!!!!!!! Where did you catch that? Like fly2day said, contact MN Dnr ASAP if you caught that in Minnesota.

I caught them at the mississippi river in Minneapolis while fishing for rough fish.

I already contacted a friend that is a state trooper which is already informing the DNR about the situation. And yes, they are from the river not the store.

to catch 2 & being the possible only 2 that someone may have released is some pretty big odds if you ask me. my first thought is that theres a population in there. but their a warm water species, so did they move up the river from the south?

How big were they? It is possible that they were released fairly recently, and just didn't travel anywhere and easily fell prey to your bait. At least that's what I'm hoping is the case. Tilapia are tropical, so they would've been dead by november.

They both were between 13-15 inches long. The thing is that these fish were swimming together like in a school. I spotted 3, but I was only able to catch 2 and I'm thinking that there may be more than 3. They were swimming in very shallow water so It was easy to tell that the fishes were of the same species. I was hoping to get all 3 since I know the DNR wants any exotic fish caught to be killed so they can't reproduce and destroy the environment. Hopefully there were only 3 out there, but from some articles I've found I am not the only one that has caught or seen a Tilapia in Minnesota waters...

I don't think they'd be able to live this far up North. Similarly with cichlids, they need warm water to survive. There are "wild" populations of tilapia down in towards the Southern states, just like oscars and peacock bass.

That's kind of disturbing. I glad you kept them and got the dnr investigating. I also doubt that they would make it through the winter here but you never know for sure.

wow! What! that is insane! they are good eating too, but they should not be here in MN!

I don't think they'd be able to live this far up North. Similarly with cichlids, they need warm water to survive. There are "wild" populations of tilapia down in towards the Southern states, just like oscars and peacock bass.

tswedim is right, those things don't have a chance here in winter. They are usually raised in about 80 degree F water. I would guess either someone's dinner or pet was released.

Imagine if they would be able to invade the southern Minnesota lakes and blue water replaced green as the common color in the summer.

I know Tilapia farming up here was discussed at one time.

Raymond Mn just south of Willmar,Local Tilapia farm booming bussisness!!

Imagine if they would be able to invade the southern Minnesota lakes and blue water replaced green as the common color in the summer. [/quote

They taste a lot better than Carp!!!!!!

Are there any warm water outlets, like at Prairie Island, where some warmer water exotics could winter?

All I have to say is "wow", fish can adapt pretty good. I have seen even gold fishes that were pushing 14+ inches in the Mississippi, and those fish are not suppose to survive in the winter also. I hope the dnr let you keep those fish, because I bet you they are even tastier fresh.

Goldfish can live this far north, I've caught a few in Crystal lake in Robbinsdale. They are actually cold water fish. They look just like carp when they get bigger, but they don't have barbells around their mouth.

If Tilapia are not a Native fish to Minnesota waters but since you caught them in the river does this mean you hold the Minnesota state record for Tilapia grin