• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lac Qui Parle WMA

While driving by LQP WMA I noticed signs that say "WMA Open to Public Hunting" but then next to it another sign saying "Controlled Hunting Zone". I was curious what it is legal to shoot and what is not inside of the WMA. Also does anyone know if a guy can waterfowl hunt on Marsh Lake or the MN River along the LQP WMA? Thanks for the help!

Marsh Lake and river outside of controlled hunting zone or refuge is open. Inside controlled hunting zone is a No-no until after the Goose season is shut down. Then Deer and small game(non waterfowl) are allowed.

Since the western goose zone has been abolished, the LQP managment area season is the same as the rest of the state. The goose season will remain open until Christmas, so that will cut down on a bunch of the other hunting. I'm not sure whether they plan on changing any of their regs because of this. Their info number is 320-734-4451. Give them a buzz.

Since the western goose zone has been abolished, the LQP managment area season is the same as the rest of the state. The goose season will remain open until Christmas, so that will cut down on a bunch of the other hunting. I'm not sure whether they plan on changing any of their regs because of this. Their info number is 320-734-4451. Give them a buzz.

Thats a good point. I know a lot of guys that like to pheasant hunt after the goose season would close. It will be interesting to see how they address this for the coming season.

I talked to Dave Trauba about this a few weeks ago. The west central zone is gone, but the controlled zone will still be active. Remeber the West Central zone was much larger than just the area around the refuge.

Its going to keep you out of the sanctuary, plus a little more mostly on the east side of the refuge. I guess the easiest way to put it is any land adjacent to the refuge that is state owned will be off limits from Oct 2 - Dec 25. unless you are hunting a state blind for geese. No pheasant or duck hunting would be allowed in that area.

The controlled zone is still going to stretch from hwy 40 to the north (randall's bait and tackle, big blue bridge) to cty 13 to the south (Mitlyings bait). Pheasant hunters will not be nearly as ecstatic as I am about the new season.