• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boats sunk at the Brule?

Here is an article that our local newspaper did on the story. This is the only reporter I sat down with to tell my whole story. As best as I could remember it. Again thanks to all that helped out on this day that I will never forget!

Escape from tragedy on Rainy Lake

Chuck Kajer, Managing Editor

A camping trip on Rainy Lake, along the US-Canadian border, nearly ended in tragedy for a New Prague family.

Brothers Doug and Phil Chromy, along with six of their children, their father Stan, nephews and several friends spent four nights camping on an island in the lake and were heading back to shore in four boats Sunday, Aug. 15, when large waves capsized two of the boats and swamped a third.

Doug Chromy, piloting an 18-foot Alumacraft Tournament Pro, was leading the way. High winds meant waves were running between three to five feet.

"All of a sudden, a couple big waves, about 8-feet high came," Doug said.

His boat managed to get through the waves, but another boat holding his nephew Joe Chromy and a friend, Todd Krenik, was swamped by the second wave and began sinking. Doug, Phil and nephew Kevin Nickolay turned their boats around and pulled the two from the water. Phil, who had his four children in the boat, Ian, 13, Maddie, 10, Hannah, 8, and Ethan 6, pulled Joe Chromy into the boat and Doug got Krenik onto his boat. Phil saw his brother pull Krenik onto the boat and resumed the trip to shore.

But before Doug could get going, another large wave, estimated between 8 to 10 feet, struck, swamping Doug Chromy's boat as well as Nickolay's. Phil was unaware the other boats were in trouble and continued on.

In Doug's boat were his children, Caden, 9, and Kylee, 7. Nickolay's boat also included his son Brandon, along with Stan Chromy and Brad Trowbridge.

Fortunately, Doug's boat was designed not to sink, Some of the group were able to get back onto the boat, which was floating six to 10 inches beneath the surface, while others in the group were able to hang on to one of the capsized boats. However Stan Chromy was not able to maneuver back to any of the boats.

"I quit trying to swim," Stan said. "I never swam before in my life. Fortunately I was wearing a life jacket. I always questioned whether it would hold me up, but it did its job. Fortunately, everyone had one on."

Doug Chromy used a marine radio to call for help. Officials from Voyageurs National Park heard the Mayday call around 10 a.m. and sent help. However Doug never heard their answer. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed 9-1-1. His call was answered on the Canadian side of the border and they also dispatched assistance.

Between 10 and 15 minutes after the three boats were swamped, another group of campers came by and got most of the group onto their boats. One person was pulled in by Park Service employees who arrived in another boat.

The group was taken to shore. Only Stan Chromy required medical attention. He was treated for hypothermia by EMTs at the visitor's center, but was not hospitalized.

"The EMT asked me how long I'd been in water," Stan said. "I said 'an eternity,' but it must have been about 15 or 20 minutes. I don't know if I could have held on much longer."

He said one thing that saved him was that the water was much warmer than it has been in several years - about 75 degrees. "The water was warmer than the air itself," he said.

This was Stan's third trip to Rainy Lake, but Doug has been going there one or two times a year for the past 10 years.

"When I started taking my kids, about five years ago, my wife bought the marine radio. Sunday was the first time I'd ever used it."

The group had to fill out a series of reports when they got back to the visitor's center, and Doug contacted a salvage company to search for his boat. He said they found the boat, and he will be heading back to the area this week to see what can be saved.

Jim Hummel, chief ranger for the park, said the group was fortunate that help came quickly.

"The fact they were all wearing life jackets when they went in made this a successful rescue, and not a body recovery," he told the Duluth News-Tribune.

Stan Chromy agreed.

"Without those life jackets, we wouldn't have lasted five minutes. The waves were hitting us hard."

Doug I was glad you called into Garage Logic yesterday. I sent them an email with a link to the story and they called me. I knew I wouldn't give the story justice but I wanted it to get out there. I'm glad Stan is doing well. We were pretty worried when we were getting him from the boat to the dock. He wasn't moving at first. When we got him into the chair, your kids were dropped off. Your daughter went running after him and gave him a huge hug. It almost put five men into tears. Doug I also want to tell you how calm and collected your kids were. They handle the situation great. They were listening to instructions and patiently waiting for you to get to the dock. I'm just glad that 2 of the guys in my party are medically trained first responders. They were in the right place at the right time. I'm glad all is well.

Hi npsmokefan,

If you do not mind I would like to send your account to the local Fort Frances Times newspaper. I do not know if they will publish it, but it's a great story. If I happen to find any items while I'm fishing I will send you a you a post to get them returned.

This might be the boat in John's pic. It's an 18' Crestliner recovered near the East/South end of the Brule on Thurs after the winds the previous Sun and Mon. The owner has a cabin or home on the lake.

P8200704.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rosemount2Rainy and Scottz,

Sorry I did not reply after Garage Logic. I have been very busy trying to get caught back up with work after dealing with this and the insurance company. I was surprised to hear the story on GL. I cannot thank your groups enough for helping out. As I assumed, my boat is a total loss. Waiting for insurance now so I can purchase a new one. I am happy to report this past weekend we went to our cabin, and both the kids got into my brothers boat and were tubing and swimming. So I don't think this has scared them for life. Rosemount2Rainy, I guess it was your group that someone knows Matt L. that I fished with on Rainy in June.

Thanks again and Good Luck!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Great to find out that in terms of people's lives this was a happy ending. I have not been on the forums in a while and leaned about this event when up there last week. Didn't expect to find first-person accounts here. Thanks, truly, for posting. Heard about the three boats but not about people. Was told a boat went down and two more while attempting rescues.

I've been going to our Red Gut Bay property for more than 30 years and I've never seen 12 footers. Remember one of my trips last year and one of my guests said the lake was "really rough" with 4-footers. I told him that was just a chop; he would not want to be on the lake when it was "rough" and followed that up telling him that our Sportfish 1750 wasn't enough boat when the lake is "rough." I've been encouraged to stay put several times, and in July I had family extend their stay by a day to let the lake settle down.

Again, glad to hear everyone is OK.