• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boats sunk at the Brule?

Just got a text that three boats out of party of four went down in high winds over the weekend?

Dont know much other than that.

Guess they should have stuck it out for a few more hours or learned to run the back channels.

Hi Swampbuck,

I have not heard about it but Rainy can really get rocking when it gets windy, and it becomes dangerous. That is what is nice when you live here, there is always tommorow. When your here on vacation, then you have only a short time & you have to depend on the weather, makes it tough. Hope everyone is allright!

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It sure was rocking yesterday. We jumped into one of the bays to get out of the wind and the way the wind funnels through the narrow areas sometimes it was worse than being out in thr open. My wife was pretty "excited" when it came to our boat ride. We were not dry when we got back to the truck but took it slow and safe.

A great time even with the wind.

Thats a brutal area to come out if if the winds are coming from the northwest. Nowhere good to hide from it for almost 10 miles either if you're heading back to the west.

I witnessed it... it was between the Brule and the back channel (closer to the back channel). We estimated the waves to be around 12 feet high (I grew up on Lake of the Woods and have been to Rainy for the last 16 years and have never seen anything like these waves). When we got to the point where the boats were sinking, no one was in the water but one guy was still in his sinking boat that had about 3 inches of boat left above water. There were a couple of boats helping out and when we slowed down to help one of our boats (20 ft Ranger) took a wave over the front and we decided to keep going before we started sinking our boats as well. Once we got in the back channel a Park Ranger was there and we told him what was going on he busted out there to help out. He ended up bringing in the guy that was standing in his sinking boat. When we got to Sha Sha I told the bar maid and she said that she saw them towing in another one about a half hour before we got there that must have sunk earlier that day.

There were six of us in three boats and we arrived about a half hour after the first boat went under. We came through the narrows and started seeing coolers and bags floating in the water. A little further up we saw the first boat. A little further and we saw the first of 8 people that were in the group. One of our boats picked up the first of the guys, a young boy and a man. The next boat picked up two older gentlemen, one of which was sinking and probably would not have lasted another minute. He was 75 years old. My brother and I went to the last boat and pulled out a little girl and her brother. Then we got their dad into our boat. That only left one young man in the submerged boat. While we were trying to figure out how to get to him, the park Ranger came through the islands and picked him up. Another minute later and it would have been a much more tragic ending. The smallest boat in their group took a wave and went under and the other two went down trying to get the first ones out of the water. SCARY! I'll never forget it....The looks on the kid's faces and the little girl giving her Grampa a hug on the dock after we got them to shore. I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Hi there. I was the captain of the first boat to go down. I try climbing a wave around 8-10 feet high but my boat was had to much weight with our camping gear etc. So we didnt make it up and over the we came back down and water filled the back end and killed my motor. At this point the motor was 2 feet under me and my buddy (who cant swim well) stayed in the boat til it started turning so we jumped out. I tried to grab him but the waves pull us apart. My uncle who was in a boat behind me picked me up after a few attempts and taking water. On his boat we had 4 little ones. We got the boat straight with the waves again, I looked back and all i saw was half of my boat a bunch of debris, My uncle who picked up my buddy and his 2 kids they tried punching it to the shore but the motor killed. Thats when they started taking water and the boat submerged. they were waving for the other boat which I couldnt see, but after talking to my cousin (the captain) he said he turned around trying to get my buddy and he took too much water, and capsize, with my grandpa of 75 years trapped underneath the boat. My cousin went under and pulled him out. Mean while the boat i climbing with the 4 little ones and my uncle we kept going we wanted to turn around to help but we knew we'd be next. I saw my uncle put up his marine radio attena and radio for help, also dialed 911. At this point I didn't know that the other 2 boats went down, till we got back, which I don't know how we got back alive. We met the park rangers looking for us about 1.5miles out form the center, they follow us in. Thats when we found out that all other boats were gone. only 1 out 4 boats made it. 14 out of 14 people made it. Were all thankful to be alive and were all thankful to the ones that stopped helped out, gave us warm clothes, and the ones that didn't stop too for radioing in, I don't blame you for not stopping, you probably would have been next to us in the water. We especially want to thank the park rangers who helped out too. I just like to say thanks all around and when in doubt dont risk it.

-Joe

Very glad to hear you are all safe! Rainy can be very nasty the mile in front of the Brule has shown me the biggest waves I have ever witnessed in a boat!

Hope you can recover most of your gear. Just glad to hear everyone is alright!

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Boats and gear are replaceable but lives are not. Glad to hear others were willing to help in one way or another.

Scott-z

I was the one in the boat you helped with my 2 kids and my nephews friend that we pulled out of the water. I cannot Thank You enough for helping out! For the things that went wrong yesterday, there was a lot of things that went right for us to make it out of this ok. One of the biggest was your party of 3 boats that were not far behind and able to help. Boats and personal items can be replaced, but lives cannot. I did not know if the rangers had gotten my call for help until they arrived on the seen, which seemed like forever but was probably only 15-20 minutes. I felt helpless for my dad and other family members in the other boat that capsized about the same time we had a wave roll into our boat and swamped us. Thankfully my boat did not flip and we were able to stay on the boat even though it was under the surface. I cannot be more proud of my kids on how they handled it. They did exactly what I told them to do and did not panic like I would have expected them to do. We all made it back ok and everyone is doing good.

I have been going to Rainy Lake for 10 years now and have ridden out many days like yesterday. Like the other guys said, never have seen just a few waves twice the sizes as the rest that ended up getting my nephew. I wanted to turn around but did not think he could make a turn around in those waves in his boat. If we had made it 500 more yards or so we would have made it to the start of the channel by harber island.

I would also like to say Thank you to the other fisherman that were at the dock of the cabin that gave us dry clothes and snacks for my kids. If you guys are out there, Thank you! Also a Thank you to the park rangers for all their help! For what happened, it could not have turned better.

Sincerely,

Doug

Amazing story. Glad everyone made it out. With waves that big it must have taken a real gut check for fishermen and park rangers to go out in this stuff trying to help. I'm glad the world is still full of real action hero's when people are in need. Hate to even ask this question, but I'm new to the lake and would like to learn more. How big were the boats involved? Epecially the park rangers boats?

Hey Scott, are you one of the guides I've met at the Thunderbird Lodge over the past few years?

HTB

npsmokefan

I am glad we got there when we did. We had considered staying another day but decided to head in. We never really talked about it amongst ourselves, we all just kind of went too people and started pulling them out of the water. We could not just go by without trying to help. How is your dad feeling? He was the one we were most concerned about. The kids were scared but did very well. Just think of the story they will have to tell!

fishhound

We had two 17.5' Alumacrafts and one 16.5' Alumacraft. The Park Ranger had large steel hulled boat with twin engines, I am not sure what size they were.

hitthebricks

No, I am not a guide. Just a weekend visitor to the area.

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear everyone safe and alive. Coming out of the Brule can be one of the nastiest areas on Rainy.

Saw two sunk boats today. One at south end of Brule Narrows. The other on the north end and a mile to the west. Caught some bass thanks to Jeff and Rich.

Rainy2010-8-17.jpg

I'm glad everyone was ok. I'll be at Rainy Lake on Thursday, 8/26 and fishing for the following 4 days. I don't know of any back channels around the Brule Narrows. Can someone provide me information if one exist. Thanks in advance.

Steve "Fish" Haller

Hi Steve,

The inside channel runs thru dove bay & thru cranberry bay. When traveling American waters you must go thru the brule to get to the east end of the lake.

Rainy can be very dangerous in heavy wind & its better to just wait it out. Better to be late for work or late to set up camp then to chance it. Were all thankful to the 14 folks who all made it safely back to shore. Like I said in a previous post, most folks who come up here for a vacation, have a short stay so they want to make the most of it, its sad when the weather doesn't allow them to have a truly great experience on Rainy as it is really a excellent way to spend a quality vacation.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

Scott-z

My Dad is doing good. Still a little sore and shaken up over the whole thing. My kids are doing way better then I would expect. They recovered my boat today and I am heading back up tomorrow morning to get it. Thanks again for all the help!

Doug

Again glad your all ok, boats and gear can be replaced thats what insurance is for! Like I said the worst waves Ive experienced where in the mile outside the Brule, I was on the way back with Laurel Berger from the Falls paper while pre fishing for the Fort Fances event. I took two waves over the bow of my Crestliner Tournament series which is very bow light! I managed to spin around and drain it over the transom and actually surfed the waves back into the Brule sat at the campsite with 6 other boats for about 4 hours. when we left it still took an hour to get to the back channel. (should have waited longer) While sitting there we saw a houseboat try to get out of the markers a wave blew out the front door and washed through the boat looked like something off deadliest catch. I have a newfound respect for the way the wind can come up on Rainy. I beleive the Brule gets some of the nastiest waves anywhere because of the way it necks down.

What a story. Thank God all are o.k. We were on Rainy on a Houseboat last week, left town Friday night. I guess we missed the bad winds, thank God. I have gained a new respect for Mother Nature after reading this post. I think it is an eye opener for many of us who fish Rainy. I must ask Doug, how did they retrieve your boat and who did it? glad all are safe.

Mama Norts

Just got back home from getting my boat. Looks like the rocks on shore beat the boat up pretty hard. I expect it to be a total loss. Rainy Lake Barge Company got my boat. On his barge he has a crane that just picks it up out of the water.

He also has been nice enough to go around and pick up any of our gear that has washed to shore.

Doug

Hey Scott-z,

My brother just informed me tonight one of you are good friends with Matt L. I was up fishing with him on Rainy in June. What a small world.

Doug

Here's the account from the local paper:

High winds cause trouble on waters, By LAUREL BEAGER, Editor

“If they wouldn’t have had life jackets on, it would have been a recovery not a rescue.”

That’s how Voyageurs National Park Chief Ranger Jim Hummel described the scene Sunday as 10 people ages 8-80 bobbed in the water, fighting 4-6-foot chops driven by high winds on Rainy Lake.

District Ranger Dave Little heard a mayday call for help at about 10 a.m. Sunday, when three of four boats traveling together swamped and capsized west of the Brule Narrows near Harbor Island.

Hummel said the boats were attempting to travel west from Rainy Lake’s Brule Narrows, known for creating big waves in west winds where the channel narrows.

While the lead boat was OK, a second boat following was swamped and capsized tossing its people and contents into the churning water. Other boats, witnessing the trouble, attempted to turn to help and were swamped and capsized.

Wearing life jackets kept the weekend from turning tragic, said Hummel.

Tom Dougherty of Rainy Lake Houseboats, who happened to be in the area at the time of the distress call, and VNP staff pulled the boaters from the water and brought them to the shore.

I talked with a couple of the other guys and they are not sure who Matt L. is but who knows. I listened to Garage Logic today, That was interesting. I also read the newspaper clip from the local paper....I would say that this article is not totally accurate. Tom Dougherty from Rainy Lake Houseboats didn't pull anyone from the water and the Park Ranger pulled one in. My party of 6 pulled the other 7 out of the water.