• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Agree or Disagree with pulling Slowey with the no hitter going?

mr_jman

I realize its a long season and we're in the pennant race but we have a day off for extra rest and they SHOULD have put him out there till he gets the no no or a hit is gotten off of him.

Would have been fun to see it happen!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• PierBridge

• DTro

• thatoneguy

He was getting pretty high up there in the pitch count...over 100 pitches.

No way he finished that game.

If the game was still 1 to 0 I don't have much of a problem with it. We opened it up to 4 - 0 and you put him out there till he gives up a hit. MANY pitchers throw well over 100 pitches. If it were the Rangers he'd be out there!!!!!!

If we were 4-5 games back let him play but trying to holding a 2 game lead with him missing a turn in the rotation and the tendinitis, yank him.... I think Gardy did the right thing.

You leave him in the game...it's a no brainer. Pitch count is WAY overrated and this is simply about going out and competing to earn a no-hitter. If Slowey was "gassed" or tired...he should check to see if his cup is really protecting anything at all. I don't get it.

Send him out...he gives up a hit...take him out. Pretty f-ing simple.

100 percent agree.

Gardy's the guy you want as a dad or your kids teacher. He puts the Kid or Team first and doesn't hesitate to do the right thing.

Another reason he's the best in the game right now!

It comes down to two things:

1. How does the pitcher feel?

2. Does the manager believe there is a risk to the pitcher?

Seems like the two people that can answer those two don't post here.

I typically do not agree much with what Gardy does with the pitchers but he was dead nuts correct on removing Slowey.

We need him for this final run and he was injured. The season is larger than 1 game.

I typically do not agree much with what Gardy does with the pitchers but he was dead nuts correct on removing Slowey.

We need him for this final run and he was injured. The season is larger than 1 game.

And I rarely agree with harvey grin but he's absolutely right. Slowey just came off an injury and you want to run him out there to maybe agravate it? For what? A personal stat? NO WAY! It's a team game, save your pitcher and let the rest of the team finish it. And that's just what happened. Twins Win!!!! Move on.

Too many pitches to go 2 more innings.....Good move. I believe if he had been through 8 already, with that pitch count, he would have had a chance.

You gotta give a guy a chance. Plain and simple.

Very unfair to Kevin....

Looking at the larger picture, Kevin could have re injured himself and then where would he have been? I am sure Gardy would have left him in if there was no worries of reinjuring his arm.

Not very unfair to Kevin but unfair to the team. It is a team sport.

I would also have liked to see kevin with a shot at a no hitter. But, the coach has to think about the long haul.

Re injure it and maybe Kevin missed 2-4 starts, now that would be BAD.

Leave Kevin in, he gives up a big hit or a HR and momentum swings and then maybe a loss or Slowey hurts himself.

Boy, then Gardy is a real dumba$$. Gardy gets the pay to make the team calls.

Normally I'd say give him the chance to extend himself and go for the no hitter. But when you consider the fact that this is Slowey's first start after having to be pushed back to deal with some elbow tendinitis, then I tend to go with Gardy on this one.

Before the end of the season all arms will need to be healthy to win the big one so protecting a pitcher in a situation like this is probably the best decision for the TEAM.

But like I said given a 100% healthy Slowey, or maybe not being in the hunt for the division then I can see letting him take a shot at it.

In this case, I do believe it should be the choice of the pitcher. If he feels good, give em a chance, especially with a lead like that.

I'm sure there are some incentives in his contract for a no hitter too, and again, unfair to him I think.

Not everything has to be done by the book.

personal gains with the Twins are 2nd to the team. Nearly all players that play for the Twins understand this,, those that don't are usually shown the door. The Twins are held in very high regard across MLB and the fanbase of being this way. Slowey in his post-game talk was totally in agreement. The Twins pitching will be the diff agst the Sux (and maybe in the p-offs) ,, why risk it??--- the hitting will nearly be always there as the Twins are the best in the majors at over a .280 clip. Still only a 3 game lead---- keep the starters as close to prime as possible.

I'm ok with it. Don't think he had enough left in him to go two more innings and doubt he would have kept a no no going. Don't necessarily believe that 100 is the magic number for each and every starter in every case like "the book" says but for slowey that does seem to be about his max that he can pitch.

EXACTLY--- only pitched 3-4 times over 100 pitches all year. Coming off the tender elbow,, have to make the move a thousand time over like gardy said.

If his arm was that big of a concern he shouldn't have even been on the mound for pitch #1. Let alone going 7 complete.

You guys saying "why aren't you in the dugout?" kill me. None of us have ever been offered a job managing a major league club, I know I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered. Until Gardenhire makes it past the first round of the playoffs, he isn't "the best" He does VERY WELL with what he is given, but until he slips a ring on his finger, Tom Kelly WAS and IS the best we've ever had.

zamboni hit it on the head. If the Twins brass was worried about protecting Slowey's arm, they would have limited him to 60-80 pitches. He was obviously feeling fine, and OBVIOUSLY very effective; there was NO reason to pull him other than the execrable and completely arbitrary 100 pitch mark. Which, of course, means nothing. There has never been a study done that shows that pitchers' arms explode after 100 (or 108 or 116) pitches.

Ridiculous managing. Thankfully Crain and Capps came through and kept Gardenhire from looking like an even bigger fool.

I bet Gardy (if he was our manager at the time) wouldn't have let Jack Morris pitch the 10th in the 91 WS.

You gotta give a guy a chance. Plain and simple.

Very unfair to Kevin....

I completely agree with Dtro.... IF SLOWEY said he didn't want to go back out then fine and you annoint him one of the greatest teammates ever. IF they didn't give him the choice, that is pretty poor on their part. And as far as the TEAM aspect.... he didn't give up a hit over 7 innings, I would say his chances are as good as any pitchers on our staff to get the final 6 outs so the winning wouldn't have been in jeopardy. All the guys on the Twins are team first guys and work their tail off for the betterment of the team each and every day. The ONE time you have a chance to give a guy a shot at a once in a lifetime accomplishment, you don't give him a chance???? None of us know exactly how it went, be he deserved a shot if he wanted it..... his elbow at 107 can't be alot different than at 100, yet they left him in....

Sounds to me like there are alot of potential major leaque managers or pitching coaches here.

I would bet its alot tougher when your job is on the line and not simply second guessing a coach.

I also have second guessed Gardy at times but they do win games.

Very easy to pick them apart.

“I was a little disappointed,” Slowey said. “I don’t think it would be possible not to be a little bit disappointed. But I think more than anything I think I was encouraged.

“I was encouraged by the way it was presented to me. I was encouraged by the fact that Gardy and (pitching coach Rick Anderson) care a whole lot about me as a person and as a pitcher in the long term than they do about winning one game or having one accomplishment. I think that says a lot about them, and it says a lot about our organization.”

queue the foghorn...

so he was upset than. I revert back to my first opinion then.

I also don't think BlackJack would've pitched that 10th inning either, and that is why Gardy will never be in the same league as Kelly

Im not gonna second guess the decision, I second guess the people who say he is a good, some great, manager. And yes, I could do his job.

NEVER TAKE A CHANCE FROM A YOUNG BALL PLAYER TO BECOME AN ELITE PLAYER FOR THE DAY.It probably will never happen again in his career.Feel for you Kevin,hope Gardentard at least apologizes to you.We will never know what the outcome would have been,and for you people who think he threw enough pitches if you get the chance to ask him please do.