• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big ten hockey

cbrooks

] I am not going to be cheering for a bunch of canadians and out of State players. Might as well be a Sioux fan, if I am going to cheer just to cheer.

Heyyy,Keep the punches above the belt please. All I can say about Minnesota recruiting is the last time they won the NCAA they had a goalie from Colorado, a german hobey baker winner, canucks and oh yeah a few kids from my town. They had great players from Minnesota along with these players. I just don't think having a straight minnesotan team is a winner approach anymore.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda agree with Chris here. What's the point in recruiting all Minnesota kids if it doesn't work? I believe the Wooger put together some fantastic Minnesota only teams, but they came up short in the end. If it was my team, I'd recruit the best players not the best Minnesotans. It was that Austrian kid that put you over the top the last time, he was unstoppable that year.

Too many colleges cherry picking top minnesota talent. Its funny just about all UND recruits were chosing between Denver, Michigan,Wisconsin but hardly ever was it a recruit going to Minnesota.

I think the teams with the most success lately has to be Boston College and Miami OH. I don't know what Jerry York does that gets the job done but one year his team won't even contend and the next year he takes it. I have to say Jerry York is the man in college. I think part of the secret is getting 4 year players. That can make recruiting tricky. You go for the stud or the other guy who doesn't have size but still can crack the lineup in a couple of years. How do you do it?

]I wonder what the gopher alumni would think about what Blais would do to the Gopher program. Maybe we dont want him? Maybe we dont want his type of game. I really dont think the school, the alumni nor the fans want a bunch of Canadians. That is something that could really hinder our chances of getting Blais. There could be strings attached and of course politics that wouldnt let Blais coach and recruit how he wants to. Say Maturi says, <no more then 3 Canadians< etc etc.

I want Blais more then anyone, but to be honest with you, I am not willing to hire him if in return I have to throw away what the Maroon and Gold stands for. I am not going to be cheering for a bunch of canadians and out of State players. Might as well be a Sioux fan, if I am going to cheer just to cheer.

Come on [pleasebecomeasponsor], lets get past this. No one was complaining when we were winning with Austrians and North Dakotans or even god forbid a Wisconsin native on the team. The Minnesota Pride on Ice thing is great and I am sure we will always be a mostly MN team but to pass on Blais because he might recruit a little differently is crazy. To compete at the top level we need the best players available, most of time I think those guys will be from MN but not always.

Too many colleges cherry picking top minnesota talent. Its funny just about all UND recruits were chosing between Denver, Michigan,Wisconsin but hardly ever was it a recruit going to Minnesota.

I'm not really too worried about our recruiting, it's impossible to get all the best MN kids and it's even more of a [PoorWordUsage] shoot on who is going to develop into a big time player. The past few years we have brought in plenty of talented recruits but its pretty clear the coaching and progress the recruits have made over the past 3 year is lacking big time.

I will however say that this little run we have been on and the ??? about our coaching situation is probably starting to affect some of our recruiting and could turn some top players away.

As said earlier, Wooger put together some great teams. The problem was they were 18 and 19 year olds player against 22-24 year olds. They played and competed quite nicely I thought.

Where is Butters coaching?

I thought Hastings replaced Guentzel?

2001-02, 1 north Dakotan, the rest MN natives.

2002-03, 1 Canadian who didnt play, 1 north dakotan, 1 Austrian.

Id say the boys from MN did pretty well. Minnesota players can definitely win titles. Im just saying I dont want too many non native MN players. I think right now we have a good mix.

Bottom line is our coaches are not developing the players they get.

I believe hastings replaced Motzko here.

I guess the gophs found their scoring touch this weekend, we might have to score 9 goals a game with our D.

Ya saw that too, sucks big time, he and Cepis and Condon were starting to show some chemistry there. We do have decent forward depth for once this year but it still hurts.

Ouch, that hurts. What happened there?

Not sure on the details but a lot of students ride mopeds to get around at the U, must have been a pretty bad accident to get that banged up.

"Moped accident"? What happened? Did somebody drop one on him out their dorm window? How else can you get hurt on one of these things?

You can pretty much get hurt doing anything. I remember Sam Jacobson, who played on the U basketball team, had a back injury from playing Nintendo all night smile

Just when you thought things were starting to turn around with a sweep last weekend. Burdish gets hurt on a moped.

No doubt, he was actually starting to be a high impact player, 3rd or 4th best forward. Really good in the corners and protecting the puck.

Aparently private $$$ has paid for athletes to ride these things around campass.

This injury is a joke, he should be embarrased. He had stitches over his eye too. I dont think I could blow my knee out on a moped if I tried. How do you even go fast enough to do it....on campus.