• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big ten hockey

cbrooks

Read an article from pennlive.com "Penn Staters meet with donor". In short the article talk about the possiblity of Penn St D1 hockey program and starting a big ten conference in hockey. Meaning Wisconsin and Minnesota would break off from the WCHA.

A couple of years ago Wisconsin athletic director(Barry Alvarez) kick around the idea of starting the big ten hockey conference. Minnesota at the time didn't sound too interested. As a UND fan I don't like this but as a college hockey fan this could be a good thing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it at all. Look at the rivalries you have in the WCHA. I'm sorry, I just don't see a big rivalry with Penn State. I can't hop in the car and drive up for the Gophers/Penn State game over the weekend. With the WCHA, you can do that with many teams.

Going to watch the Gophers in enemy territory is a blast. I don't really want to lose that. I can't imagine this would go over well with any of the WCHA teams.

I don't like it, but of course I am biased. Losing MN and WI would hurt the remaining and especially the smaller schools in the WCHA.

I guess seeing MN, WI, Mich, and MSU play each other would be kinda cool. Then again they already do for one weekend. But Penn State, Ohio State, etc --> Who Cares? The best midwest hockey schools are not at all the same as the best football/basketball schools, so it doesn't really make sense to me.

People have been talking about Penn going D1 for a long time. It would be pointless to pursue this Big 10 conference mumbo jumbo. No body is going to care about the U playing Penn. And by the way, if you are Penn state and you are going D1, do you really want anything to do with getting worked every weekend by Big 10 schools.

I pass too, big 10 hockey is a dumb idea. Throw Penn out East somewhere and schedule them for a butt whooping from time to time.

I guess the general consensus on this site is NO. It wouldn't be the same WCHA without Minnesota or Wisconsin. The final five is just too good and without Minnesota it just wouldn't be as fun to watch.

I have the same opinion. I don't want to lose the rilvary. I really do think that the big ten hockey is very possible and could happen like it or not. You hear talk of big ten hockey more and more every year.

College hockey has too much tradition and a great mix of little and big regional schools who play very competitive hockey. No reason to mess with a good thing, like mentioned earlier there already is the college hockey showcase with MN, WI, MI, & State. Why not just have a big ten tournament and throw in Penn and Ohio State and crown a champion. Two round robin groups of 3 and then line up the seeds top to bottom. Winner gets a big 10 "special trophy" they can throw in some display case somewhere because we only hand banners for real conference championships.

Why not just have a big ten tournament and throw in Penn and Ohio State and crown a champion. Two round robin groups of 3 and then line up the seeds top to bottom. Winner gets a big 10 "special trophy" they can throw in some display case somewhere because we only hand banners for real conference championships.

I like the idea of a Big Ten tourament. I really like your last line smile

• 2 weeks later...

Some clever chatter on here, I got some good smirks.

Someone mentioned rivalries in the WCHA. I can hardly wait the, what, 56 days now to the opening of our new arena here in Bemidji. As of July 1 we're WCHA, and we open in a two-game weekend with my old school, UND. I can't wait for the ribbing and NOISE!

Couple months Bear and there will be trash talking. I would put a bet on UND not getting swept by a WCHA team next year.

Would hate to see this happen, but it will. Too much money from the Big Ten network. These days in college sports, money talks. I'm sure when the Big Ten schools see the amount of money they will recieve, they'll jump at a new conference.

Not good for college hockey, but it will happen.

Couple months Bear and there will be trash talking. I would put a bet on UND not getting swept by a WCHA team next year.

You just set me up for an easy payday. I don't think there are too many teams out there, at least in the last 20 years, that have made it through a WCHA season without getting swept once. It usually happens when you least expect it too.

UND will be swept.....Ill take your bet Brooks. If not swept will UND lose 2 consecutive games this year?

Looks like I have a couple of takers on the bet. I will post the only five Gophers championship years for my signature box if I lose. If I win you have to post all seven UND championship seasons in your signature avator. Have them there for I don't know a month maybe. How does this sound?

OK, I accept. I will even wear a Sioux sweatshirt out musky fishing. I always boat a fish when I am out. so I will then have a muskie pic while wearing Sioux gear. I just really hope it isnt a state record or anything.

]

OK, I accept. I will even wear a Sioux sweatshirt out musky fishing. I always boat a fish when I am out. so I will then have a muskie pic while wearing Sioux gear. I just really hope it isnt a state record or anything.

Cool man its on. Scott, I'm surprise you have a UND sweetshirt. You must have lost another bet some other time to a UND fan grin

The fishing is still good up here as well. I was reluctant to go catfishing(first time catfishing) up in Cananda leaving such a hot bite up here in northern Minnesota but glad I did. Any big ones lately?

Alright Bear and Scott here's the bet so no one can weasel(rodent fans) there way out of this. UND has to go unswept by a WCHA team in order for me to win. Out of conference games don't count.

I'm game.

Just a little historical perspective, the Sioux have managed to make it through a WCHA regular season schedule without getting swept twice in the past ten years.

Ill take it. I dont think it will be that hard of a stretch for em. I bet they do a loss and tie type a thing, but they just might not get swept.

Obviously I hope they get swept.

I have an old sweatshirt, hat and t-shirt. I think I got them once upon a time during a recruiting visit. I cant remember. My brother had actually signed to play for the Sioux in the late 90's too. BUt ended up not going. So they might be from that.

Stinking Sioux, I cant believe I havent burnt that junk. My wife got one of those license plate covers, she didnt even get one screw in before I took care of that.

Bear, you can make that three times in the last 11 years grin I know its a long shot but what the heck, I'm pump for some college hockey.

Scott, you had a brother who almost played for the Sioux. You must have talk him out of going. I'm just curious where did he end up playing?

WI, St Cloud seem to sweep the Sioux early in the year so look for them or a surprise from Alaska, Tech, or Mankato because its happened before. You also have those two new wild card Bemidji and Omaha teams to think about, like I said before easy money, or easy sig.

It would be all that much sweeter if the Gophs pulled off a sweep of the Sioux but who I am kidding, those odds are slim to none.

Bear, you can make that three times in the last 11 years grin I know its a long shot but what the heck, I'm pump for some college hockey.

Actually that is ok, that probably means two of those season were under Blais and Hakstol has only pulled it off once.

If your thinking Hack isn't a good enough coach I'll disagree there. The only drawback with his teams, they start off slow and after christmas break they will get on a roll that carries them into the final five where they peak and then fizzle. Hackstal has to show that his team can win in the NCAA playoffs. I think this year is gonna be different from his other teams. Hack got alot to prove this coming year it will be interesting.

This bet is just to get some interest going. Hockey season is sneaking up on us. I seriously beleive UND will have there best shot at winning the big one finally. The only team in the WCHA that could take out UND is UMD. They a have alot of good players on that team. I guess SCSU is pretty good too, other wise the other teams lost alot of underclassman. Look at Denver and Wisconsin.