• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big ten hockey

cbrooks

Good point Bear. The Sioux do suck in the begining of the season. We might have this bet one by week 5 or 6.

He ended up going no where. He and another player signed scholarships with UND and then went out to celebrate while in Bismack or somewhere. To celebrate they and a group took a boat out for a cruise on the river and ended up slamming into a dock slip or something. Cops came and all that jazz, so they ended up either getting their offers yanked or suspended for a year. I cant remember. Underage drinking, property damage and whatever else went with it. he ended up breaking his back at Sioux city and couldnt cut it anymore.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah man, back injuries are the worse. He must have been pretty good to have a D1 school looking at him. I wonder if he ended up playing for the Sioux how you(being the hater you are) would ever cheer for your brothers team. You would go flipping nuts during UND Minnesota series.

Brooks I will agree Hak is a good coach, just not a great coach. He's done some nice things but he alwasy seems to come up just short when it counts. I've compared him may times to Wooger, a very good but not great coach.

I can't argrue with that bear. He'll need a couple of NCAA championship until he can be compared with the best IMO. He'll get there sooner or later as long as he stays with UND and doesn't get an big offer to go somewhere else.

Eh, look at how Minnesota won their championships 8 years ago. They started off slow too. With all of the parity today, I don't think it's possible to dominate the WCHA regular season from beginning to end and then be able to carry it on through another 5 or 6 games in the playoffs. If that's true, the best thing to do is start off a little slower and gather steam.

Hak has gotten them to the F4 so many times, it's only a matter of time before he wins it. Just hope this is not their year!

I agree sobles, tons of parity these days and there are a lot of teams that can actually pull of a National Championship, well I guess 16 for sure but not too long ago you could probably pick 4 or 5 teams that had a realistic shot, now its almost wide open. I would even say there are teams left out of the 16 team NCAA field who have the skills the make a run if they were in it.

Heck even my lowly gophers could have a turn around year and make a run at the right time to win the NC. A good but not great Michigan State did that a few years back.

Hmmm maybe we should just let everyone in and have a mega tournament. Sadly we don't have enough teams to fill out a 64 team field but he top seeds could get a bye and play at home until we are paired down to some regionals and the frozen four. Think of all the upsets!

In the WCHA it seriously looks like the teams try harder and would rather win the final 5 at the xcel then go the distance to the frozen 4. I know it cant be true. But the players play with way more emotion during the inter-league tourny.

I still have mixed feelings about Hak. He needs to win or people are going to get restless up there. Who cares if you make the 4 and loose every year. (by the way I would love for that to have happened to the gophs the last 5 years). I dont know what pushes a team over the top to be champions any more. I really dont think the best team wins anymore. I havent been impressed with the tourny for the last 5 or 6 years. Bear, Michigan State, id put them at mediocre that year.

Brooks, id still hate the Sioux. They just arn't a team that I would like. I am such a homer too. I cant stand all the Canadian players that go there. I like what the U of M is built on. Guys from MN, playing for their college and representing their state. Giving MN hockey players something to be proud.

When I think of the Siuox I think... "well I went to UND. they have a hockey team. I might as well cheer for them. Its warmer in this ice arena than it is outside, I might as well watch hockey then. The players are from all over Canada with a few MN's slipped in. so I guess that is exotic, cool, Go Sioux"

I wish I could add an accent to my parity there.

]

When I think of the Siuox I think... "well I went to UND. they have a hockey team. I might as well cheer for them. Its warmer in this ice arena than it is outside, I might as well watch hockey then. The players are from all over Canada with a few MN's slipped in. so I guess that is exotic, cool, Go Sioux"

I wish I could add an accent to my parity there.

laugh. Pretty funny Scott. Ever since they got the new Ralph the hockey games became more of a scene. Some might not like my opinion but in away I miss the old Ralph. It had more of a hockey game feel to it and the fans seem different too. They were more hockey smart back then. People came to watch hockey then. Not to be scene. I'm not the first person to have said that either. I may have [PoorWordUsage] off a few UND fans but there's a few that will agree.

Scott you can't do a Nordakota accent? I have a brother from Portland that says I have the thickest accent. I've been called out on my accent a few times. I'll try to put it on all my hockey post from now on smile

]In the WCHA it seriously looks like the teams try harder and would rather win the final 5 at the xcel then go the distance to the frozen 4. I know it cant be true. But the players play with way more emotion during the inter-league tourny.

You know I have thought the same thing before, I think it has to be the atmosphere. I think the guys are going 100% during the entire post season but there just seems everything is kicked up a notch. A lot of times you don't see that those regionals and even in the championship game because the the crowd is so mixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't you can write that in stone just yet, I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about a big ten conference but lets hope common sense prevails.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the text of the Big Ten’s statement in reaction to Penn State’s announcement that it’s adding men’s and women’s hockey:

The Big Ten Conference is excited about Penn State’s recent announcement regarding the establishment of NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey programs set to begin competition in the 2012-13 academic year. Our institutions have longstanding relationships with Division I, Division II, and Division III college hockey programs that have benefitted both our institutions and the entire national hockey community.

For many years, we have had five institutions sponsoring Division I men’s ice hockey programs – Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Big Ten rules allow for a championship whenever there are six institutions sponsoring a program in any given sport. This leads to the presumption that there will be a Big Ten Men’s Ice Hockey Championship at some point in the future. A decision of that nature, however, cannot be made without a significant amount of discussion both internally with conference chancellors, presidents, administrators and coaches, and externally with the hockey community as a whole. Whatever we do, we will communicate in a respectful and responsible way as we endeavor to balance all of the unique interests in play.

We congratulate Penn State and wish them well as they continue to provide the most broad-based opportunities possible for their student-athletes.

Well at least it sounds like they are going to put some serious thought into this. It pretty clear college hockey is in its own little world outside many other college athletics and should be treated differently.

• 1 month later...

Alright Bear and Scott here's the bet so no one can weasel(rodent fans) there way out of this. UND has to go unswept by a WCHA team in order for me to win. Out of conference games don't count.

WOW, good thing you put in that disclaimer, eh?

UMD is looking great, but they haven't played anyone good yet so I really have nothing to be excited about. We play our first real opponent this weekend in Bemidji. They always play the Dogs really tough.

Ya I remembered that little disclaimer, but the Sioux playing poor early is certainly a good sign that they could dump a series here or there. GO EVERYONE BUT UND!!!

Ah, man I didnt even see that stupid disclaimer. [PoorWordUsage], I was pumped too. Well at least the Sioux still lost 2 games.

I love it. Everybodies a hater now. I'm alittle worried that they got swept a east team. I wasn't able to watch the game Saturday I was in Green Bay. It was a tough weekend on all my teams this weekend.

How did them Gophers do grin

Don't worry about those gophers, the are consistently playing inconsistent with poor defensive coverage just like the previous 3 years. If they keep this pattern we should have a new coach next year.

If they keep this pattern we should have a new coach next year.

I agree, but Mr Blais seems to be doing just fine at UNO. Lots of other great candidates out there though.

Now that my fishing is done, it's time to start watching hockey.

UNO has too good of a coaching staff right now, heck maybe the best in all of college hockey. I think I would take any one of them over Lucia right now.

I could see Scott Sandelin becoming the coach for the Gophs. Look at what he's done with UMD.

Boo on you!! They can't have him.

Well I'm sure they could, but there are lots of good candidates out there. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them go after some of the big names out there.

Cbrooks,

You and I must have some kind of weird thing going on that you don't know about. I watched the UND/Maine game on Friday too; not impressed by our lack of effort. Then I was at Green Bay for the Pack/Vikes game for the weekend too, is that why you were there????? crazy

I grew up in Minto, ND.

Man, what are the odds. Yeah I left early Saturday, pick up the RV in the cities and tailgated right by the cambrige hotel(I think thats the name). The best part was I was seating two seats away from Joe Nathan. That was my first football I ever went to. I might make it a yearly thing to watch the Packers/Vikings game at Lambeau. It was alot of fun. How was your seats? You ever make it back to Minto for deer opener? I will be deer hunting in that unit.

Try not to hi-jack this post too much, but....my cousin has season tickets to the Packers and I used their seats. Packers sideline @ the goal line 40 rows up opposite end of the tunnel....I live near Duluth and hunt here now. Most of my family lives and hunts there yet of course. I was gonna go to the Dogs/Sioux game at the Ralph until I realized it was the Deer opener.

Just south of Minto on HWY 81 the large farm on the south side of the road with all the John Deeres is theirs.

YOu say that UNO has the best coaching staff in college hockey, well it is the Gophers staff of 3 years ago if you swap out the head coach. We used to have both Guenztl and Hastings, obviously.

Oh, and by the way. Those 2 will be the co-head coaches next year after we sign Blais.

I dont see Sandelin ever becoming a Gopher coach. A lot of people dislike him and besides he is a stinking Sioux Alum, maybe he will take over for Hack once UNd is tired of coming up short.

Who are all the good candidates out there? I know we talked about this before, but didnt have much besides Blais, Guentzl etc.

Don't worry about high-jacking the post no one really cares in the hockey forum. Glad to hear you had fun at Green Bay. I usually hunt over by forest river right by the hood-r-rights(sp) colony. Hunting Duluth from North Dakota are two totally different stlyes. Well, good luck and hopefully you get that big monster.

UND has its work cut out for the next month, Denver this weekend UMD next. You never get a break playing in the WCHA. You think I put my foot in my mouth with them not being swept within the division. You know these guys are gonna be rubbing nose in it. Go Sioux

]Who are all the good candidates out there? I know we talked about this before, but didnt have much besides Blais, Guentzl etc.

The two B's are still tops. Blais makes the most sense because he is both an awesome coach and he's an alum. Overall their best hope, but I'm not sure he wants to return to a big city. You know he'd bring the program right up to the top again, and it wouldn't take long. As a Dog fan, this would make me very nervous:)

Blasi has to be #2. He did just sign a big contract through 2017, but money and prestige talk. He could have both if he took over the Gopher program. He's also young enough to re-energize that program. But he's not an alum, so I'm not sure if that disqualifies him or not. I could see the Goph's going to the F4 on a consistent basis with either of the big B's.

There are plenty of other high profile coaches out there that would probably take the step in pay and prestige, but are maybe not a great fit for the program for various reasons. Gwoz seems to put out good team after good team, but he's probably not a fan favorite around here. Cromley out in Michigan state has had great success with multiple programs, but he's probably not young enough. Sandelin has the talent and vigor, but has probably not had the requisite success so far.

And then there are the alum's that are lower profile but still may have a chance. Guentzel is an obvious candidate everyone talks about, plus he seems to be highly regarded by fans and alums alike. Kevin Hartzell is a great coach for Sioux Falls USHL team and played as a Gopher in late 70's/early 80's. Probably other alum's out there that are flying under the radar. Although they have an affiliation with the program, it's a pretty big move for these guys.

"]YOu say that UNO has the best coaching staff in college hockey, well it is the Gophers staff of 3 years ago if you swap out the head coach. We used to have both Guenztl and Hastings, obviously.

Yep I am sadly aware of that, its getting hard not to look just about anywhere and not see better coaching. I am also not saying Lucia is a terrible coach but its pretty obvious now he needs help and Hill and Potulny are no where near the level of Guentzel, Motzko, or Hastings.

I think Solbes pretty much nailed the coaching candidates. There still might be a tiny glimmer of hope for Lucia to save his job but when things turn out like the previous years I hope Maturi is ready and willing to make the necessary moves.

I wonder what the gopher alumni would think about what Blais would do to the Gopher program. Maybe we dont want him? Maybe we dont want his type of game. I really dont think the school, the alumni nor the fans want a bunch of Canadians. That is something that could really hinder our chances of getting Blais. There could be strings attached and of course politics that wouldnt let Blais coach and recruit how he wants to. Say Maturi says, <no more then 3 Canadians< etc etc.

I want Blais more then anyone, but to be honest with you, I am not willing to hire him if in return I have to throw away what the Maroon and Gold stands for. I am not going to be cheering for a bunch of canadians and out of State players. Might as well be a Sioux fan, if I am going to cheer just to cheer.