• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Decoys

JigginGopher

I've been bowhunting for 2 seasons now and would like to try using a decoy this season. I have no experience using them and no one I hunt with has used one before. I think it would be fun watching the deer respond to it so i would like to give it a try. Do you think i should get a doe or buck decoy? I was thinking either the Flambeau boss buck or boss babe decoy. Anybody use those decoys specifically? Most of my hunts are during the first couple weeks of the season and then again the first couple weeks of November if that makes any difference. I only hunt a few stands during October. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Great question! I would also be interested to hear any product brand people have had good luck with. Looking for one that's easy to carry in and set up. Thanks.

As far as choosing a decoy, I would consider one that can be a buck or doe. If it has removable antlers and its not so imposing it will be more likely to attract more deer than repel them.

I've never tried one, but I'm considering it this year.

My scare face bobble head cost me a 160"+ 12 lastyear on Nov 2nd it was not the decoys whole fault ut if I didn't have it out he was on a trail at 23 yards that would have put him at 5 if he didn't spot the decoy and hang up with that one tree branch I didn't see. I still see that arrow sailing over his back in my nightmares, but he will be bigger this year. Just remember set them in the open mine was a little brushy only could spot it from 50 yards I think in the fields would be better.

I have a Carry-lite decoy that I've shot 3 deer using it. Gary Clancy has an excellent book on decoying. He goes over a variety of set ups. It is always entertaining watching how deer react to the decoy! I haven't had any attack it yet but I look forward to that experience. I modified my carry-lite by putting real glass eyes in it, a pair of VanDykes earliners on it, and a real tail on it. I put it out at about 15 yds where it can be seen from a distance.

Decoys do exactly what you want them to do. They draw the attention of the deer away from you.

I have shot 3 bucks over a decoy. One came to rattling and saw the decoy giving me a shot. One locked up 10 yards from the decoy giving me a 10 yard shot.

I have had deer that I could not shoot but I don't blame the decoy. They just hung up out of range, not the decoy's fault. It still held their attention plenty long enough to shoot.

One time had a 120 inch 10 pointer circle the decoy for 30 minutes. Could have shot him 100 times.

One thing I have learned is that a buck will most often come in downwind of the decoy and quite often hang up 20-30 yards from the decoy. If you can't get the decoy up wind of you, this could result in a hang up out of range. I have had better luck with a buck decoy. Now I try to face the buck decoy toward me up wind and about 30 yards out.

I wish I would use them more, but getting the decoy in and out of the woods can be an issue.

Sturg - How is the carry-lite decoy in terms of ease of assembly and sturdiness? Would you recommend it or do you wish you would have tried a different model?

Crappie Rage - What type of decoy do you use? Also, you mentioned you face the decoy toward you (and i have heard this from others as well) but i'm confused how this provides a good shot since most say a buck will approach a buck decoy head on. Does this provide a nice quartering away shot prior to the deer meeting the decoy head on???

I have a Carry-lite decoy I would sell you for a reasonable price. I had some fun times using that decoy, but don't bowhunt anymore. email me at [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Also check out the free HSO Classifieds. Thank you.] if interested.

Jiggin. My decoy is a Flambeau hard plastic doe decoy. I have modified it to hold plastic antlers. I only use the decoy on a field and you never know which way a buck will come in. They are so in tuned to the decoy that you could do backflips in your stand and they won't see you. Plus they usually slow down and are very cautious of the decoy. Usually, at some point, they will give you a shot.

Well we got my new decoy last week, kinda hard to keep the antlers on duct tape works the best but it pulls the hair out and she don't like that. Also hard to keep it in one spot.

I think the kid would get mad at me if she got away though. Might just have to pick her up and rub her on my camo before every hunt grin

0712101939.jpg

Yep and she nows how to use that cuteness to her advantage. Tonight she was practicing her shotgun skills future state champ right there just like her dad was.

ry.jpg

Little girl with a shotgun??? Looks like daddy is raising her right! I'll have to have my little nephew track her down in about 14 years for a date! smile

• 2 weeks later...

ive used a decoy for a few years now, both with and with out antlers, and havent really noticed a difference. the only thing that i have noticed is like said before it takes the attention off of you. all though i did have a buck decoy out once and i came out to my stand and the head was riped off and there were holes in it and the ground around it was alled pawed up. needless to say i got all fired up!

Ok I dug out the decoy my father in-law gave me this spring and set it up. Here's my questions the ears are moveable what position do I want them in relaxed or aggresive? The tail is also adjustable do I use it in the up down or in the middle position ? thanx for the help guys

It depends on the time of the year early I would put them half forward. Once the pre rut and rut kick off put the antlers on and pin the ears back.

thats what I figured but having never used one before I just wanted to make sure. I am looking forward to trying this out new things are always fun.

i have used them a few times my buddy has one never any luck but i dont think i have used them a the proper times either, i would like to get one sometime

One more reccomendation, I would put a large strip of blaze orange duck tape on each side of the decoy unless you're somewhere in the outback. You never know what moron poacher or long range gun hunter during November might take a crack at it. Even if you're on private land, trespassers are always on the prowl. I've done this on our own private land as we're near township roads and its never made a difference with the deer. They must just assume it some type of coloring on the fur.

• 10 years later...