• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coon rapids dam?

carpmanjake

hey thanx for all your help man, and when your talkin about the "walk-the-dog" topwater, are they just the long tube like topwater lures? just to clarify, and also what kind of jerkbaits do you use? Also what would the end of the fishing platform be? are you talking about the little concrete walkway connected the dam, like 15 ft above the water? cuz that seems like it would be kinda wierd fishing w/ a lure off that. and when ur talking about the other spot on the isolated island, or peninsula, are you talking about the big island separating the coon rapids and brooklyn park sides of the dam? and the "big wall" are you talking about the big wall of the dam next to the spot where all the water flows through the dam? Oh and one more Q i was just curious, when you go on average, how many do you think you catch in a day? jw

A big zara spook would do exactly what he's explaining. Big slug-go's work pretty good as well as big spinnerbaits.

You would probably do really well casting from down on the little peninsula. The last time I was there it seemed to me like the spot to be. I would go early morning to avoid the crowds though, it gets to be kind of crowded in the evening. I watched a pretty good sized slimmer eating sunnies right in the fast current. He would slash at them until they were crippled and then eat them when they were floating up.

The advice about doing a little wading is good too. Try downstream and work your way all the way down to the end of the backwater area. Don't be afraid to switch stuff up too. There are a few ski's in there too so if you get one don't be too surprised. Try a few casts on the fastwater side in the big eddy. The really big fish like the fast water so sometimes its worth spending a little time casting there too.

oh alright those sound like some good ideas, have u caught any pike there lately? also you said you saw a pike attacking sunnies there?? that would be a site to see. lol.

Yeah I seem to get one or two each time I'm there. I target smallies mostly but slimmers are always willing to bite little stuff too. The last one I got was on a tiny t spinnerbait I was casting for bass. They really like to steal my rapalas too so there's another option for ya to try, just be careful with all the snags.

It was pretty cool to watch that northern going after sunnies like that. I have seen them do that at the peltier lake dam but never at crd. She was pretty good sized I'm betting mid 30's or better. I wasn't really in a spot where I could cast for it but it was neat to see.

oh sweet, so you were fishing from that tiny peninsula below the smaller part of the dam? and are their some good fish above that dam in peltier lake? where do u usually catch ur smallies?

I was on the other side from that peninsula and then I worked my way downstream from there. If someone hadn't been out there that's where I would have gone though.

The smallies you can get anywhere, if you look in the pool 1 thread (read through that thread, there's a ton of good info for a shore fisherman in there) I usually fish downstream from the dam quite a ways for them. At the dam I like the backwater side since I can use topwater baits effectively. Otherwise out in the main flow I find current breaks and fish those. I usually like the anoka co. side but I think you might do good for bass on the Brooklyn park side with all the islands and stuff there. It would probably be decent on a hot day to wade around the islands and check that out. Be careful if you do that of course, its fast current and the rocks are slick so bring a friend and don't go if you can't swim.

Peltier is another story. I used to fish under the dam and did pretty good. However, since they did the road work and rebuilt the bridge it has been very poor. The water level is so low that there isn't much in there. Above the dam might be OK for wading but IMO peltier is kind of nasty. Lots and lots of algae. I don't spend much time there anymore.

oh alright cool, so when you say backwater, is that the water above the dam? or what? im not sure what that is.. sorry. but anyway when u fish for them, do u usually use topwaters to keep from snagging? thats probly what i would do.

The area downstream from the little secondary spillway on the anoka county side is what I'm referring to when I say backwater. It does have some current going through there now but not like the main channel. When the river gets lower sometimes there is no water flowing there at all.

I do like topwaters for bass because when they do hit it is very exciting. Most of the time for me they tend to produce fewer (but sometimes bigger) fish. When/where I am able to use topwaters effectively I like to give it a shot since its exciting.

If you want to produce lots of smallies, a shallow running crankbait, a smaller sized spinnerbait (tiny t/baby boyahh)and a drop shot rig with a senko are going to be your best bets and keep you from getting snagged too much. Jigs of all varieties work well but get snagged easily if your not careful.

I think the area that Deadeye refers to as the "backwater" area is what I refer to as the "small side". This side is a lot better for topwater because the water is a bit slower. This is also the area that is best for pike fishing. The exposed fishing peninsula is directly below the dam. I’m trying to upload a picture from my PC, but I can’t seem to get it to work. Seems like I can only link to an image that is already hosted on a different website? Anyways, the fishing platform is connected to the dam. I guess you can say it is 15 feet above the water. At first it might be weird using lures from it, but you will get used to it. Its actually fun using lures from a raised area because it makes my jerkbaits run shallower. So most of my attacks, I can see whatever it is, come out of the water to smash my lures. It’s very fun and scary to witness. That area were the fast water meets the calm water is the best spot. I usually attack it from the platform. Then go out on the peninsula and cast back into that area.

The island that separates the small side from the big side can be fished all the way down the river to the intersection. If you go to the Brooklyn Park side, there are a lot more islands on that side. You can easily wade out to those islands. Just be careful and only cross at shallow areas. Deepest I would wade and feel safe would be up to my knees. Anything deeper then I won’t risk it.

As for lures I’m using? Hmmm, I guess I don’t use the typical lures since they are a bit more expensive. For jerk baits, I throw Lucky Craft Pointer 100’s, Jackall Squad Minnow 115, Yo-Zuri Crystal and Pin’s minnows. For top waters, I throw Lucky Craft Gunfish 95/115’s and Sammy 100‘s, Jackall Bowstick, and Megabass Giant Dog-X. As for spinner baits, I’m throwing Terminator T-1 ½-ounce spinner baits tipped with a 4-inch Mister Twister curly tail grub. I guess you can use Rapala Husky jerk-baits or x-raps for jerbaits. As for top water, you could use a Zara Super Spook. I don’t use in-line spinners anymore (Mepps Aglia used to be my favorite) because they cause too much line twist. I don’t use spoons at Coon Rapids because it has a high chance of snagging.

Here is my Musky. If you look closely, you can see the dam behind me and that should give you an idea where exactly I caught that musky!

phanasyfishingmuskie.jpg

Some pictures the big pike I caught at the dam.

phanasyfishingpike.jpg

Now that you know what I look like, if you see me up there, come say HI. I’ll show you guys some good spots up there.

• Thumbs Up 1

You are right on the spots I like to go phantasy fishing, and I guess you could say that backwater would be the small side.

Those are some nice fish. I got to admit I have terrible luck with landing muskies. I have hooked quite a few in that area but they always seem to get off the hook. I don't really target them or Pike much so my gear really isn't right for them either.

Phantasy, I edited your post to take out the external link, if you want to add more images from those links just add them directly to the site, please do not link to outside sites, as it is not allowed. I added the photos in your post through my photobucket account, because those fish need to be seen! Very nice fish!!

River Rat316, thanks for helping upload those pictures. I didn't know how too, so I guess I need a photobucket account to post pictures?

Phantasy,

Here is a tutorial on how to post pics, its pretty easy (has to be for me to handle it) you upload your photos to photobucket or any web hosting service, then copy the %7Boption%7D photolink at the bottom of your photos on photobucket to this webpage and you pictures appear.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...s_h#Post1219014

oh thanx for the tips guys, hopefully when i go out there next, ill be able to catch some pike! and ya so when you fish, how many pike do you think you catch in a day? just curious. also, those fish are sweet! how long were they? also, does it seem like some time of the day has been the best for you catching your fish? i would guess early morning and evening? Ya thanx for all the help! and good luck fishin!

I bet if you targeted them you could catch double digits. That would be a long day with lots of moving. Not targeting them I still manage to get a couple each time I go.

Obviously its fishing so sometimes you will strike out. However, the more ya go the better feel you will get for what's happening there. I have found fishing the river to be consistently more productive than lakes for almost all species. As you spend spend a lot of time there you will figure out patterns and be able to get consistent good days.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

nice fishies but I'd really like to see one of those 22 inch smallies. grin

Ya catchin double digits pike in a day would be a blast! ya when u fish for smallies, how many can u usually catch in a few hours?

I don't know about the CR dam area cause I tend to stay away from the crowds but smallie catch rates can go through the roof if the conditions are right, they can be overly aggressive and really fun! Right now would be the time to be out with a storm moving in and relatively stable weather for the couple days before, but I have ribs and a brisket on the smoker so its a no go for me right now!!..... but I will be eating like royalty in a couple hours!!

It would be hard to catch double digit numbers of pike at the dam now. The first few weeks after the walleye/pike opener would be a yes. For now, the pike numbers are slowly dropping due to those meat fishermen. I would expect and be happy if I caught 1-3 pike on an outing. Sometimes you won’t catch any. That’s just how fishing is. I like fishing early in the morning because of less people, and the water is usually calmer in the water. Nothing beats throwing top waters on glass clam water. I also prefer cloudy days. The big pike was caught exactly at 8:50 AM after a storm. I had to wait (took a nap) in my car for 3 hours for a rainstorm to past. When it was over, I went out there and connected on the first cast along the shoreline of that peninsula. The musky was caught at 10:49 AM with a storm fast approaching. Bad weather is actually good for big fish. My favorite times to fish are the calm before the storm and the calm after the storm. However, use common sense. If the storm is severe and dangerous, I wouldn’t be out there. I hate fishing on clear bluebird days. The only thing you are gonad catch is nasty sunburn.

As for smallmouth bass fishing, you can really catch a lot of them, IF they are there. Most of the smallies (the big ones) are probably gone due to the meat fishermen. It’s getting harder to catch them under the dam on both sides. If you go to the Brooklyn Park side, and wade into the water, you can still catch a lot of smallmouths, but they are small (but fun). I do not have a picture of a 22-inch smallie because I was fishing alone and did not have a buddy to take a pix. Also, I had other fishermen there hounding me to see if they can keep it. Nope, after I unhooked/measured it, I threw it back.

Walleye fishing has been slow on both sides.

Smallies it depends on the day. I have had days in the boat with 100+ fish. Average of 3 hours I would be pleased with 10-15 fish though. My last report on the pool 1 thread I had a good day and gotten around 20 bass in 2 hours before I started fishing for cats. I mostly fish downstream, quite a ways from the dam and usually I do better than when I'm right at the dam. I like peace, quiet and solitude so I like spots where I'm not going to be crossing lines and rubbing elbows with people.

Ya i went out tonight for about 3hrs or so, but was skunked frown. I fished below the smaller part of the dam, off of the tiny peninsula, casting topwaters, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits. and ya Deadeye, when u are catchin all these smallies, what r u casting mostly? i'll try fishing downstream more, it seems like all the fishing is better downstream of the dam, would u guys agree?

Yeah sometimes the better fishing is downstream. Especially this time of the year. Early on and late in the season it can be hot though.

Dont spend more than 25 min in a spot. If they aren't there keep it moving. Even going just 50 yards can make or break your day especially at the dam. I have had days where I have covered a mile or more of shoreline. Those fish right at the dam get a lot of hardware thrown at them. People are lazy and don't like to go further than they have to to wet a line. If you move around and go where the crowds don't you will do much better.

I change what im throwing depending on what they are asking for LOL. If I know there is fish in the area I will throw the store at them to find what they want. Start off with a aggressive lure like a spoon or spinner and work down the line to a crank, then go to jigs or plastics. If all else fails livebait is always good.

Ya ok, ill try that tonight, when u fish downstream do u fish all the way past where the two parts of the river connect? like past the island? and ya that sounds good.

oh ya one more thing, do u usually fish just wading in the bigger part of the river? i havent tried that yet, maybe ill do that next time.

Try walking the perimeter of the island. Its a good way to see lots of water and cover several types of structure.

The last time I was there I waded on both sides. If your planning on wading you might want to give the BP side a shot. There is all those islands and smaller channels that it would be easy to break it down and cover water thoroughly.

ya well tonight i went out again for a few hrs trying to get some pike, or maybe even smallies, and dint get a thing, one little bite, but lost it. i fished the smaller part of the dam, and waded along the north side, not the island, i casted spinnerbaits, topwaters, and jerkbaits again, but didnt get a thing. ya and maybe i will try wading along the bigger river next time, have u gone lately at all? I'm just wondering whats wrong, cuz im not catchin a thing which sucks, anyway next time, ill try wading along the island or bigger side of the river. btw when u wade, do u usually just wear ur shorts and barefoot? or do u use special waders?

When I plan on wading i wear Teva sandals and whatever grungy clothes I'm wearing for fishing. Some sort of footwear is a good idea since there is tons of rusty hooks, sharp rocks, clam shells, and other assorted stuff that will make you yelp when you cut your foot on it. Most of the time I'm wearing flip flops so I sometimes rock those when I have a unexpected walk into the water.

I was up at the dam last weekend myself and it was a bit slow but steady. I have been fishing by home here in BC lately though. Keep your head up and keep plugging away and you will get into them.

Oh nice, what did ya catch last weekend? ya do ya got any tips for me to catch some smallies or pike, cuz idk i havent been catchin anything! and ya where are ya fishing in bc? just on the big side? and what r u usually fishing w/? thanx for the help man, i really appreciate it! and good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have done a ton of wading in the sippi and I use wading shoes with the felt bottoms for 3 years now. 35 bucks or so and worth every penny! with sandals you get small rocks and sand and the same with tennis shoes plus they can be slippery. Sometimes very small rocks can get into the wading shoes but I wish I would have bought a pair years ago.

I got a couple bass and some roughfish. It was slow like I had mentioned and why I haven't been back up there. I have been not wanting to spend money on gas/parking and with the river 3 blocks from home I have been walking down there and getting good results without spending money. Plus, I like getting out in the boat too and the landing is right across the river from me.

If you look at the previous posts here and in the pool 1 thread you will see what I have been using, where I have been and how I go about my fishing. I switch up presentations and move as many times as it takes to get fish biting so there is usually not one strict thing I will use. Don't forget that downsizing presentations can be a key as well, I usually scoff at stuff for largemouth and pike when I'm after smallies.

Look back into both this thread and the pool 1 thread and you will see some really good advice from several sources as to where to fish. I read through both threads myself and Ebass specifically had some really good advice. Phantasy Fishing even had pics up of a couple goods spots and also gave good advice. There were several posts from others with great info as well. You could pretty much write a how to guide on river fishing with these couple threads.

I can't really give out a hot spot or anything because its the river and it changes every single day. I can slam them one day on a rockpile and not get a fish there in the next month. Current breaks, seams, eddies, rockpiles, timber ect, ect. A spot doesn't have to be big to produce fish either, there could be a eddy thats 10'x5' within feet of shore full of fish. Just keep trying and key on the structure everyone has mentioned and you will do good.