• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coon rapids dam?

carpmanjake

hows the fishing around the area? ill be heading up there next weekend for a few days. hoping to catch some carp, sucker, redhorse, etc.

any tips? suggestions? species i could possibly catch?

I would key on the east side.

You got rip rap, a huge eddy area and a backwater area to try all within a 1/4 mile stretch.

With all the rain we have gotten the water is really ripping through there right now so the Eddy and backwater would be my own starting point.

I have seen your posts and you know how to rig up for those fish so you should do good. Don't throw anything out there that you don't mind loosing as there is a ton of snags. I usually either throw light jigs hoping it will sweep over the snags or run a simple drop shot setup with heavy split shots so you only loose weights when you snag. If you want carp, corn works great. Otherwise leeches or worms will keep you buisy with all sorts of assorted species.

My personal best Redhorse, carp, buffalo, quillback and sheepshead have all been caught up by the dam so there is some big stuff in there too.

Oh yeah, there is a sweet little bass (I mean trout;) ) pond over there too. It can be worth your while to take a couple casts in there if you got a trout stamp. Sometimes the bass are really aggressive there. Sometimes they are not. Its worth a cast or two since its right there.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

My personal best buffalo, quillback have all been caught up by the dam so there is some big stuff in there too.

exactly what i needed to hear! 2 species i need to add to my lifelist!

What else is on your list lol? There is a lot of other species there too. I am sure that just about everything in MN is in this stretch.

Depending on when your in the area there is a creek that drops in the river in the area too. If you are there after a good rain it would also be worth hitting up.

White bass are swimming in there. I haven't ever caught them in quantity but some random ones while fishing for smallies or eyes. They have all been really nice fish when I have gotten them but its just one here or one there. It always seems like they are up against the rip rap by the dam.

Has anyone caught any Flathead's by the CR dam? Just wondering if one or some made it past all of the locks. I know there are Flatheads by the Stone Arch bridge. Hmm

i need shovelnose sturgeon, white bass, greater redhorse, all species of carpsucker, buffalo, mooneye, saugeye, sauger (ive caught them but i never took a picture, and need some pictures), flathead cats, and.... not much else other than lake sturgeon and paddle fish (which are illegal to fish now anyway. (and paddle fish are always illegal i think...))

they are very very rare you will catch channels maybe once in a blue moon you might catch one of the very few that got up river but i really doubt it

Some one caught a HUGE Blue catfish several years ago down there..even made the papers.

How high is the river right now at the dam? I was thinking of heading up there this evening.

Some one caught a HUGE Blue catfish several years ago down there..even made the papers.

I hate to tell you this but there is no blue catfish in minnesota(except for the few that the dnr tried to stock in the st croix back in the 70's, no record of them making it). It was just a large Channel Cat. Was it ever confirmed by the dnr.

The mooneye (I got one that was a monster), carpsuckers, white bass, redhorse, sauger, are in there for sure. I have caught all of those. I even caught a few madtoms too (that's a real random catch)

Flatheads and sturgeon are supposedly there but I have yet to see them. I also don't really try for either of those. There is also gar in there too I haven't caught one. Most of the time I fish the fast water so that knocks my chances of getting them down.

Blue cats are highly unlikely to show up in this neck of the woods but I guess I wouldn't be too shocked to see one caught. Stranger things have happened. The CRD would be the end of the line for a fish travelling north....

The water is definitely up as the rockpiles by home here in bc are covered up. Usually there is at least a couple dry rocks out there (its at the perfect level right now to destroy some props).

It has been a while since I have been up at the dam so maybe I will head up there and give it a shot in the next couple days. Its always worth a shot.

I agree, I was kinda shocked by it..maybe I'm wrong, but I could have swore they said it was a "Blue"...over the years I've caught a ton of kittys north of 694...chicken liver or frogs. They also get the occasional Musky at the dam. Have done fairly well late in the fall casting for Wallys at the spill way on the CR side before they turn it off also.

yeah, thats a good question..maybe try a exotic pet shop? or shop around bait shops"?..I normally just tried to find my own which can be pretty tough.

I know I saw them at Vados at one time. They didn't have any the last time I was there but that doesn't mean they don't got them or can't get the either.

If I had to pick a stellar live bait for the river it would be crayfish. They are a little tougher to get a hold of but it is worth it for sure. They are a primary food source for just about everything there.

There are also some good sized bowfins swimming around in that backwater area.

That one ya gotta prove to me. Ain't none here and a big one would have a lot of locks to go through to get to CR. No pic's, didn't happen. I found a dead Cat about 10 pounds many years ago that wasn't a Channel, always thought it was a Flathead and have heard there are Flats here in small numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i just started fishing a little at the cr dam, and was wondering if you have any tips for me? I really dont care what im catching, I am just looking for any tips you guys could give me, where do you usually fish by the dam? i dont have a boat, so i'd be fishing from shore. Any help would be appreciated, thanx!

e1teen93 - get some no roll sinkers in 2-4oz, some big swivels, circle hooks and some crawlers. Toss that into an eddy and hold on. You'll catch some carp, sheepies, catfish, walleye, smallies and maybe a crappie. Try both sides, but be prepared to loose a lot of tackle. It's really rocky.

You can also try under the 694 bridge, there's a boat ramp there and miles of public shore to fish.

Please take a pic if you catch a Flathead or Blue cat. smile

Hey thanx for the tips, but when u use that rig, do u just cast it into the eddies and let it sit there? also when fishing at the dam, where do u usually fish? north of the island, by the parking lot of the visitor center? or south of the island? btw if i do catch any of those, i'll def post some pics.

Yup let it sit for a few mins and if no bites reel up and check to see if you have any bait on. I haven't been there in years but the main river (longer bridge) on either side. I think I like the CR side better than the BP side.

You want to cast in an eddy that's next to some ripping current. Fish use that seam between the fast and slow water. Heck now that the water is warm they could be in the fast current. In any case experiment on bait (crawlers, corn, leeches, cut sucker minnow, shrimp, or live bait) and explore the shoreline as the river levels are always changing making or taking away cover.

You could bring another rod and have a spinner or crankbait on it and toss for smallies if you just like to cast cast cast like I do.

ok sweet, ya i went today and fished the smaller area of the dam, on a little peninsula and caught a decent sized cat on a bobber and a worm. and when u cast for smallies, where do u fish? and thanx for the tips. Ok and anyway where do u think is the best shore fishing place in the metro area? i dont have a boat and would still like to catch some fish, (sorry about getting off topic.)

Smallies like rocks and places to ambush like a pile of logs will ususally have a smallie or few under it, behind it, or in front of it. They like to hug the shore during high water, but can be found anywhere (sometimes no where) when it's this warm.

When shorefishing is your only option the river is where to be. Check out the 694 area, check out North Mississippi Regional Park (Camden area), check out the Rum/Sippi confuence in Anoka/Champlin, check out Pool 2 in the Hidden Falls park (miles of shoreline and both sides of the river where the Minnehaha dumps in) Check out any boat ramp on the sippi and wade around.

As far as lakes Calhoun and Harriet are open to the public, so that's an option to. Probably really weedy though

The best place to shorefish is where you're catching them, and the best time to go is when you can.

The Coon Rapids Dam is one of the best shore fishing spots close to the twin cities. I’ve fished this spot for many years, and know where all the good spots are. However, water levels dictate if certain spots are good or not. Personally, I prefer the lower water levels. The Coon Rapids Dam has lots smallmouth bass, walleye, pike, crappie and channel catfish. If you are into catching rough fish, it also has a lot of carp, red horse suckers, buffalo, and sheepshead. Once in awhile you might pull up largemouth bass, white bass, or a bowfin, but those species are far from few in that spot. I have not seen nor caught any gar up in that spot.

It seems like populations of certain fish species fluctuate each year. In 2008, there were a lot of big walleyes. In 2009, there were a lot of big smallmouth bass. As for this year, I’m gona say it’s the year of the pike because I’ve never caught so many pike before from that spot. I’ve already caught over 6 pike 32”+. Biggest pike was 37-incher. I wonder if there is a 40’+ in there?

The only thing bad about that spot is, it gets pounded hard. The fishing pressure is VERY HIGH. Worst of all, most of the people (98% of the people) I see over there KEEP everything they catch. I mean everything! Even carps, sheepsheads, redhorse suckers, and buffalo’s are kept. So you bet they are also keeping all the game fish too. This year, I caught a lot of big smallies too, but I suspect most of the big smallmouth bass (17-22 inchers) are probably all wiped out by those meat fishermen. I’m pretty sure there are still some big walleyes and pike swimming down there because they are harder to catch.

When I’m hitting Coon Rapids Dam, I’m usually targeting smallmouths, walleyes, and pike or whatever wants to hit my lures (I‘ve caught carp, buffalo, and catfish on my jerk baits). I ONLY use artificial lures; live bait is a thing of the past. Most of the time I’m throwing jerkbaits and topwaters. Sometimes I’ll throw a spinnerbait. Most people I see there are fishing off the bottom, and they usually just catch rough fish, catfish and lots of snags. Also, I’m a catch-and-release guy and I release all my fishes. So those big pike are still swimming around in there.

For the amount of fishing pressure it gets, I’m still amazed that this spot still holds some very big fish . This year, I was lucky enough to catch a 45-inch musky from the Coon Rapids Dam. That is the first musky I have ever seen at the Coon Rapids Dam. She’s still swimming in there! I just hope those meat fishermen don’t catch her.

I’ll be going back there soon!

ok would you have any tips for me to try and catch some pike? i would love to fight some 30 inch pike. Where do u fish? and what lure do u prefer?

and help would be nice thanx.

All the pike I have caught at Coon Rapids Dam this year were on jerkbaits and topwaters. Most of the 30-inch and under pike were caught with jerkbaits. All the big 32’+ pike were caught with topwater walk-the-dog lures. Early morning right before/after sunrise is a good time for topwater. I also prefer cloudy days. Spinnerbaits works just as well. Just remember to use a steel leader to prevent bite offs.

All of the big pike were caught on the small side of the dam (coon rapids side). The water on the big side (main channel) is a bit rough at the moment to work any lures effectively. The big side is usually good for walleyes and smallmouths, and not so much for pike, though it is possible to catch one on that side.

So for now, if you want some nice pike, just hit up the small side below the dam. The end of the fishing platform is a good spot. Just cast into the current edge where the fast water meets the calm water. Then fan cast around that spot. Also, go on the exposed island in the middle (the peninsula) and walk out to the end. Then cast a top water (or spinner bait) back up that area. That’s probably the best spot right now for pike. Next, go to the big wall on the small side. Cast jerkabits/spinner baits along the wall and out into that current edge and bring it back. Oh, do NOT use any lures that sink fast or dive deep in that area. It has a shallow rocky bottom, and anything that hits the bottom has a 90% snag rate. Another option is walk down the river on the small side, and cast topwaters/spinnerbaits. Look for any structure that can hold fish (logs, rocks, weeds). But lately, fishing down the river has slowed down a lot since the water is getting lower. However, you might be able to pull out an average 20-25-inch pike or two. I would assume most of the bigger pike have moved upstream directly below the dam for deeper water.

If you don’t like using lures, there are some people who catch some pike using sucker minnows with slip bobbers. They usually fish off the platform on the small side. Sometimes I see crappie fishermen accidentally catch pike using minnows from the platform.

As the water levels get lower, don’t be afraid to put on shorts/sandals and wade out into the water to explore new spots. Each time the water level goes up or down, new spots are created, old spot are ruined. The fish are there, you just gotta find them again. All those islands you see out there? I’ve been on all of them. Some of them are good spots!