• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am heading to Jack the Horse Lake this weekend, and was wondering what depths to look for for walleyes? Any spots would be nice, but I am not expecting this. The DNR website said that the deepest weed growth was 18ft, is this about right? We are also going for bass, but I am more confident in my abilities to find bass than walleyes. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Ben Marx

Ben I have only fished for crappies on the lake but you might be surprised at how many Walleyes will hit a bass bait. I have a couple of spots that I like to fish that are kinda thick cabbage and we do pretty good with a jig and leech. We first go in and find them and then back off and anchor and start casting at them and once you catch a couple they will move and then you have to relocate them and do it all over.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to get out there this winter, or do pay access at the resort at some point...great lake, little development, and tullibees to grow big fish!

Well we never tried to fish for walleyes, but did well with bass. They were feeding on craws just off the pads. We got about 20 bass that were 17" or better, and the best was 20 on the dot. It was a fun few days and a beautiful lake.

• 2 years later...

Anyone ever ice fished Jack in the Horse? My uncle recently bought a place on the lake and I am going up to help learn how to use his snowmobile. I was up this past fall and had some mild success with the crappies but I have no idea on where to start during hard water and he and his family are rookies at best.

Is there any place I should avoid due to bad ice?

Crappie and Walleye are my main targets so mostly crappie from the looks of the surveys may be a tip p for bass or pike.

There are 4 sections of the lake are any better than others?

Any depth range or structure to look for?

Any favorite colors or lures?

If you like feel free to PM.

I fished tip ups out there last year and had 4 flags, neat lake to fish. Wasn't fishing walleyes, can't help you there.

But I did talk to a few folks, a couple holes are crappie magnets, I guess that doesn't' help you much as most people would be checking them anyways. Let us know if you do any good.

Thanks da_chise31. Did you run into any spots that the ice was thinner? I have my sled and otter lodge I am planning on taking? I have heard it has springs so I am a little worried about stopping in the wrong area.

Dang Jeff, sorry to hear that. I saw a bunch of people in the ditch this weekend, tough conditions in a few spots around the state. Saw a wrecker pull a guy outta the ditch on a big curve on Hwy 38 near Marcell...lucky guy didn't hit a single tree or have any damage.

I never noticed any ice thickness differences. I walked out to fish, traveled with a jet sled and tip ups. The other folks I spoke with last year took sleds. You could call the resort about the ice, not sure if they operate in the winter but they might have some knowledge about the springs.

stayed in a rental cabin here last year did not have much luck fishing the lake, we did try big and little Dick lakes with some "small" success