• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Lida Fishing Reports

Can't wait to return to the Great North Country! I hope that during the trip, I can still hook up with Rohweller, Cicada, Cliffy and Jeff "B" and have a great time. Above all, I want to thank everyone for tolerating my request for assistance and sending me emails. Once again, you have lived up to your reputations. Sincerely - THANKS! [email protected]

Hi Kelly, I haven't been around the computor much lately. I've either been busy at the lake working on projects or busy farming. Just about have my projects finished up. The brick on the lower level is done, the deck is done except for steps on the lake side and some of the rail. I was starting to get nervous for a while, but things are starting to shape up and I'm about caught up on my farming so I'm going back to the lake tomorrow to finish the deck and clean up my my construction mess. Looking forward to seeing you, your brother and Dad. I even found time to fish a little this evening and picked up three slot fish in about an hours time.

Jeff - I am so grateful for the work that you have put in trying to get the place ready. I hope you don't regret making the decision that you did. I am so excited about seeing the place and re-living the very emotional attachment that I have for Lida. What a big part of my life it has played with vacation and being a dockboy at Oak Lodge for several years. I have spoken with many people from the Pelican area that I made friends with over the years and am looking forward to seeing them. We are going to surprise my father with a few that he hasn't seen in 25 years. The Martins, Ericksons, Nelsons and Lunquists will hopefully come by and shock the [PoorWordUsage] out of my father. I can't wait. We might find time to fish while we are there - lol! Thanks again for all that you have done.

Hey Ibfishin- Just wondering who you are talking about with the Nelson family? I have a bunch of relatives up in that area and have a cabin right next to maple beach resort. Probably some people I know. What a small world.

Greg Nelson and his wife. He was a dockboy at Oak Lodge for a year in the 70's when my family used to vacation there. His family is from Pelican. Just a super individual.

What a small world. I know them as well. His wifes name is robyn. I am also distantly related to all of the nelson boys and have a lot of other family members up there.

Will be seeing Greg and Robyn on tuesday night for dinner. It is a small world. They are wonderful people.

Yes they are wonderful people. Are you Jack Chick brother? My girlfriends parents are Burce and Kay Nelson. Bruce is Greg's brother. Bruce and Kay know Jack and Demi from Silver Lake, when they owned their lake place up there.

Kelly is with out internet service for the week, but yes he is Jack Chicks brother. Jack Sr., Jack, and Kelly are at my cabin on South Lida for the week. I know they plan on getting togather with several old friends from the area during the week.

Does anyone know if Maple Beach serves burgers during the week? How about the hours?

Maple Beach Resort Lida Lake burger times are from Teusday Through Sunday 11:00-2:00 and 5:00-8:00.

JeffB, I would like to get ahold of Kelly. I searched for his phone number and the Nelson's and came up blank. If poosible, could you call him and give him my numbers? I will be working for my brother Tuesday and would like to meet him there. Home 218-846-3464 Brother's place 218-842-5588.

Hey Cicada, I just read your message so I will give Kelly your # in the morning. The Chicks are leaving early Sat. morning so tomorrow is their last day of fishing. Sounds like they have done well fishing, but struggled a little with the eyes. I've been somewhat watching for you on the water to see if I recognize you sometime cicada, but I probably fish 70% south Lida and 30% on North Lida. From your posts I think you probably hit N. Lida more. Maybe one of these days we'll be working the same spot.

I ran into Kelly, his dad and brother last Sat on Lida. Very nice guys. I wish I would have had sometime off this week to spend more time on the water with them. They were looking to get into some walleyes...but I didn't have much to offer...having a hard time locating them myself.

The week was great! Never did find the eye's, but found many more good spots. Hard work and lots of time on the water paid off! To Jeff B. - Thanks for EVERYTHING! Cicada - I got your number on the last day and I felt it was not worth the effort to bother you. We caught lots of bass, smallmouth, largemouth, and crappie. My father had the time of his life and that is what I wanted.

We bucked the system- crappies were caught on jigs only once we found them, verticle and casting, while largemouth were caught on buzz baits and spinners. Smallmouth were caught on our secret baits in 6-10 ft of water off of 30 ft drop offs. (Those of you that know the lake should know where I am talking about). The night bite gave us nothing more than rock bass, bluegill and a catfish.

I heard somewhere that everyone is two people away from knowing everyone else. Reading this thread brought this to mind as I grew up with the Nelson clan at Pelican.His wife is my ex-wifes little sister. I still have Christmas,Easter & Thanksgiving dinner at their house.I also ice fish with his youngest son Tate quite a bit. He has taught me a trick or two and put me on some crappies last winter on South Lida.It would be tough to find a nicer more easygoing guy than Greg.

It really is a small world.

Greg and Robyn showed up and boy, let me tell you that Robyn can whip up a great desert dish and Greg kept us in stitches when he got going. No finer people than them. In the 25 years or so that we have been coming to the area, the have kept us close to their hearts. My father laughed so much at Gregs stories that his side hurt for a day afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Lida last Thursday (July 8). 3 of us in the boat, we caught about 25 fish over 4 hours. Quite a mixed bag...2 eyes, 3 crappie, 4 northern, 5 gills, 3 baby perch, 5 rock bass, 2 large mouth and a smallie... if I remember correctly.

Both eyes got off right at the boat and appeared to be about 16inches and 13inches. Wouldve made nice eaters! All other fish were small except the 3 crappie which were all a hair over 11inches. Kept the crappies plus one northern. Fished a couple of weedbeds on the north side, and then the Island down south. Some fish were in 28feet some were right in the weeds. The rain chased us off the lake around 3:45 PM. I swear the only place it was raining was Lida, once we left it was sunny skies!

• 3 weeks later...

Had some good fishing this weekend and even managed to pick up a 28 inch eye. Its been a while since I've gotten one that big so I was pumped. That was the only eye I boated that wasn't in the slot, but he's still swimming. Just as fun as the 28 incher was helping my 4 year old land a 20" eye. It was a blast watching him try to hold the rod and reel. Fish were caught in 20-24 ft of water on crawlers and leaches.

Congrats Jeff. I would have loved to see the look on his face. I sure wish I could have found them while I was there but I won't complain. I cut and pasted your post and sent it to my brother just so he could read about your success. Wishing you and the family well my friend and hope the house work isn't taking up to much of your time. Shoot me off an email and give me an update.

Clobbered the crappies Monday, got at least 40 of them in about 5 hours of fishing. Got them in 14-17 fow above the real thick coontail moss in 3 different spots. Half over 11" other half between 9-11 inches. All but 3 on 2.5" gulp minnow and a 1/16 oz jig, the 3 came on a hair jig and fathead.

Fisher dog,

Have you ever tryed Rush lake?If you like Slab mongers,they"ve been biting good out there the last 2 weeks.

Main Lake or the south Lake fisherdog? (Secret????)

Sure do miss being there and catching the slabs. My brother, dad and I caught at least 100 during our stay (last full week of June) with most coming from 8-10 ft out of the thick grass and above a sunken tree on the south lake. We kept 15 nice ones for frying up and put the rest back for others to enjoy. We caught our share of little ones but boated many in the 11-13 inch range and a couple were 14+. I can't get over the size and health of the fish up there. I live on a hot water lake in Central Illinois where the growing season is naturally much longer and the main forage is shad and 90% of our fish are < 10 inches. I would think we should see bigger fish over time. The main difference in the 2 lakes are year around water temp, no weeds, just trees, and water clarity (stained verses clear).

Been on Rush once about 5 years ago before I had a good boat. I've heard there's some nice ones in there but It's a big lake and when I don't have much time to fish, I go to where I know there are fish instead of searching. It's on my list of lakes to try.

Fished the main lake. Went out to Lida yesterday and it was much slower, tried S Lida cause I got a tip from a buddy on a brush pile next to a patch of reeds but couldn't find the brush pile, maybe the same one you're talking about. We didn't search long since the weather was moving in so we beat it back to N Lida to finish the day. Nice crappies in Lida, found 3 new spots that hold crappies and I'm sure there are many more.

Fished on Lida on Sat. from about 5:30-10 AM couldn't find the fish, but it was a very nice morning to be on the water. Till next time I guess. I can't believe how high the water is getting, if it gets much higher I won't be able to get into N. Lida. Should raise the dock again, but I'm hoping it won't go up much more.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out to Lida this evening w/ the good weather, wish I could find some jumbo leeches somewhere! By the sounds of it they are quite difficult to find in the late summer. I rarely have fished w/ minnows but might give crawlers and them a shot tonight. Are shiner minnows the best this time of year?

Went out last week one day and fished a few diff spots, depths from 6' to 35' using lindy rigs and spinners. Caught one 16" eye in 6' of water! This was basically a frustration/trial pass. Was seeing lots of fish on the finder but couldn't seem to get any bites, even the northern and rockies were light to bite (caught around 5 or so of each).

Does the crappie bite start to pick up this time of year?

Try the bait store in Erhard last time I was in there they had some Jumbo leaches. At least they were labeled jumbo. They seemed a little small for jumbos, but not to bad. They catch thier own bait and supply many of the other local stores, so they can ussually keep the best stuff back to sell out of their own bait store.

My high school classmate stopped in Lake Park and they had some leeches. They weren't true jumbos, but not bad for this time of year. is just tough to find them once the water gets this warm.

• 10 months later...

Been out several times in July....trolling, drifting, jiggin'....day and night...but still no crappies. Pulled up a couple nice walleyes and a few northern/sunnies/rock bass from midlake weedbeds and southside shoreline breaks. But, the question is....is anyone catching crappies? I'm pretty sure their not where they were this winter....so what now?