• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm not a muskie fisherman, but I had a couple of young fellows in the store on Thursday. They caught 4 wish the night before and said they had never seen as many fish in one outing. Of course they wouldn't tell me where they were fishing because it's been said I have a big mouth. I'm hearing pretty consistent reports of people having follows and hooking a few. This along with the walleye bite has just started to heat up from the reports I'm getting. So 53 is like me, should have been here last week or should have stayed one more week. I'm just reporting what I've heard!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• delcecchi

• urban cowboy

• Silver Scale

• Esox_Magnum

I am starting to wonder if there is some other lake with a "hot bite" going since I am seeing almost no one fishing muskies on the west end, compared to previous years.

Have not posted for awhile but thought I would chime in. Fishing for the wife and I has been the worst I have had in a long time. We have the no fish blues going on the last three weeks. I am not just talking about Muskies here, I am saying I have very few walleyes to show for in the last few weeks (let's just say less than 5, don't want to embaress myself to bad), no northerns (even when we are targeting them), and yesterday I got skunked on the panfish. Was entertained by the musky locals at the dock though this weekend. We now have 4 of them laying around the boat lift and the dock. Darn things chased all my walleyes and bass out to the rock pile. Go ahead and cast for them, I can pretty much guaratee they wont bite or even chase. (I tried all weekend at different times of the day and night with no luck. I think Ace gave them my address and trained them to [PoorWordUsage] me off. Did move one upper 40"er on the other side of the point. Chased the bait twice than gave me the fin before she left. Seems like the fish are getting more and more rude to me. What did I ever do to them? (LOL). Any way got to try again this weekend with a new plan. Wife and I are going to lay the lake map out on the lawn and throw a lawn dart at it. Where it lands is the area we fish. Figure maybe the musky gods will direct the dart to a good spot. Does this sound a little desperate to you?

Forgot one thing. Did a canonball off the dock right above a low 30"er. Never landed on it but scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of it. I never seen it but my folks said that when I hit the water one of the muskies came flying out of the water. Can't catch them but sure can scare them. LOL.

It is unfortunate to hear of the tough bite for many folks. It is in stark contrast to what I'm getting from over there, with it being hard to not virtually stumble into a muskie right now. Fish are showing themselves everywhere, rocks, weeds, open water. If you are not catching and only fishing daytime, change, or at least be fishing at peak times like moonrise/moonset if appropriate, and low light (not the same as no light) conditions. Find an area where you are seeing numbers of fish and go back during those prime times (with after dark being best lately if you are into that) and you will get some fish to bite.

Blades have really turned on. Topwater is still getting some good action. And the last report I got from my brother included a 52 caught trolling a very shallow running bait over the massive schools of forage out there (hint - structure "nearby" is ok, but honestly find the bait, regardless of whether its over the deep blue sea or near structure it doesn't matter right now, big fish ARE out there with the food).

ps. I don't mean scattered bait when trolling, when you find the good stuff it will be quite obvious on the sonar. Another hint - watch the surface and see where the bait is actually working the top of the water column.

Fished the west end for about 5 days straight....saw only about 6 or 7 fish, not very active, both rocks and reeds were raising fish, but i was expecting more action with the warmer weather, got some nice bass on the muskie baits smile

I'll be on the West end all next week. I'll be in a 17' Sylvan pro select with a 130 Evinrude on back. Staying at White Eagle Resort. It's a family trip so my muskie fishing will typically be before everyone is up, or after the kids are in bed. Stop me and say hello if you see me. I'd be happy to swap notes with anyone - provided either of us has anything worth sharing smile

This week has been tough for me the past few years with water temps all over the place and it usually hitting in the middle of the transition from weeds to rocks. This year I've tied up a ton of my own bucktails and spinner baits and I'm just looking forward to an entire week to test them out!

I will be up all of next week. Going out with Borovski the first couple days so hopefully we will get on some fish early. With the reports thrax is sharing I am also excited to do some trolling, and relax. We will be out on the water everyday/all day, morning, day, night... we have had luck in years past so we are crossing our fingers. Weather looks consistent as well. At this point we are just looking forward to putting in the time and hoping for the best. Good luck to all.

Bonefish or UC,

Would either of you be willing to let me know how you do or just some general tips? I'll be going up to the west end for the first time in 2 weeks. I've been looking up old posts trying to get an idea what to expect and pretty much have come away with if it looks good fish it...But I'd appreciate any reports if you're willing to share them. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Zelmsdawg

From ice out fish are on rocks an in weeds....finding eaters is yer trouble.

Make it fun.....think...FOOD.

Swen could do better but he is trying to hard an tnking to much....just do it.

Cannon balls are the spice of life also.

KABOOM!

If ya know what the fish eats during a certin time period an where that food lives you will up yer odds during the day on this lake.

doing what you always done only works once in a while...you bought $2000 worth of lures...learn how to use them an when they will help you best ups yer odds also.

Simple junk will help you boat an photo up more fish.

Making things hard is silly.

Learn a few things about the lake an your inlike Homer J. on a Pork Chop Bar..

Long ago I said it is no trouble finding the fish during the day...if ya know a few tings...and remember where it all comes together......but most give ya the FIN during the day unless it is windy an overcast unless you do your homework...simple and fun.

but if ya find the food they gobble you up yer odds.

It simply is not that tuff to find these fish on this lake....getting eaters is when you fine tune yer presentations an timing.

Speed, action all that happy [PoorWordUsage] no one cars about but people online.

Go have fun an enjoy the outdoors.

No reward in the end for big fish or small fish but you creat memories by having fun hunting them up an trying to fisgure them out.

Hiring a guide is one way but kind of lame...heck I told more people than I know I would never hire me...no fun in that except I'm ever so handsome an fish find me, not me finding them.

grin

Lots of good info on boards, but some [PoorWordUsage] also...lots of [PoorWordUsage]..but you find that anweed thru is you may be able to use it on any given day.

but you learn way more finding things out yerself.

From finger tip to brain..most of it sticks.

then again I have fished with many people that use this board an others..became friends with most an can say 100% fact they will never ever catch a fish unless the lure they are throwing falls directly on the fishes head on end of cast!

shocked

Almost sure they could not get a fish if it was in the local pool an not eaten in a week.

grin

No matter they still try an have fun doing it.

Getting so serious is ok for some but silly in a way....knowing where an when fish eat is a key...moon rise moon set, two for one at the buffet...all just junk for the online junkies.

grin

People write so much n type a good game but then you fish with them an go...Hooly [PoorWordUsage]..you really suck at this.

LOL x 1000000

I seen I done it....but we is still frineds.....I never blow ones cover by nameing names...but you would be surprised at some of them....they do stink..but wrtie nice hints, tips an directions for you to read.

grin

Go fish, if it looks fishy..FISH IT.

Have fun....hire a guide if you must but learning on yer own is truly a gas.

Weeds rocks open water...deep shallow find the food have some fun.

Night fishen don't count either really unless your women...D'OH!

Anyone..I mean anyone can find a rock or weed fish they saw early in day an go back an have truly a high percentage to get it or her sister up for a cheeessy photo...no trick to that.

Plus big fish feed at nght..if that is what is around that is what you get...thanks to the DNr an catch n release by most...big fish abound on this lake.

No skill what so ever to night fishing except not burying three deep inyer buddie throat.

cool

So don't post phootos of night fish...they simply impress no one but yer mom , sister an guide who took yer cash for doing little or nothing but fish all night an he knows it.

laugh

Its on in the book...look for it...read it an enjoy it.....life goes by pretty fast.....an is sposed to be a fun ride...we for sure try to get the most out of our tickets.

WOW....Bla, bla, bla.......Time for some dinner.

Go have some fun, be safe...RIP SOME LIPS.

Keep on rocken.

Tommy

you musky fisherman are goofy

i tend to agree with most of this stuff.. i fished musky 6 times last year and boated 4 fish... just went to the obvious spots.. bait/wind and threw a lure or 2 that 1000000000000000000 other people DONT throw... do you like eating beans every single day?

lots of benifit to a guide tho in my opinion.. just gotta do your homework

A good time and a boatride guarenteed!

I am know for the BEST boat rides nation wide....so far everyone has come back only a lighter shade of BLUE!!!!

LOL 10000000000000

laughsick

The Fishing Vermilion kid hits it on the head...sweet an simple.

Thanks Fishen Vermilion dude.

See ya in the fall online again...maybe.

If yas get a chance to see Ringo an his all Star Band..jump on it.

cool

Cancer sucks...get on the wagon ...we is going to kill the stuff.

grin

Keep on Rocken.

T

I've seen a bunch of muskies in shallow sunning themselves off my dock and around others near me. I think I chucked every bait I had at that fish off the island across from mine and muskieswens place. He/she wanted no part of anything. Even decided to toss on a floating jighead with a crawler, put it right in front of the fish's nose...but to no avail.

The walleye AND smallmouth fishing is so bad that I have been reduced to chasing muskies for the first time. I've got the heavier gear for them, but not the baits. Apparently they don't like what I use for smallmouth and pike. I almost did the same cannonball you did swen, although from previous close run ins with the freshwater jaws, I walked to the end of the dock first, looked down, and said "there is no way I am jumping in there with that man eater sitting a few feet from the dock" Is it odd for them to be moving in pairs and triples? A few times I've seen up to 3 different fish within a few minutes of each other.

There is alot more to muskie fishing and fishing in general than just catching fish and taking fish pics.. Make sure you stop and smell the roses, watch the eagles, etc....

Alot of folks try to hard and have TV, internet information overload about muskies. Keep it simple and just fish it and have fun and the rewards will come.

Have fun is right!

Things happen if ya loosen up an have fun...cast the bait...keep in water...KABOOM.

grin

Just having fun about guides in case you all don't know me.

Guides provide great service in many ways...not just getting you on fish...well most do I know.

Butt Some suck.

grin

Now go get some fish....we is having Ribeyes tonight.

T

Muskie Tom and Jim,

Very good responses ;)How do you (old guy's wink ) handle the heat like we have had recently up there? I am approaching middle age grin and the sun and heat just beat the heck out of me. I am definitly changing my approach to how and when I put in my time. Over the 4th much of my time was not on the water but in it grin I definitly like the early and late much better than middle of the day- I will hit the middle of the day peak times as much as possible but then it is back to the shade with a cool one in hand grin

Good Luck up there in the comming weeks -- Think Big

Steve

Fishing vermilion for the first few times without a guide is like fishing with a blindfold on. You can cut a couple years off the learning curve by hiring a guide for one day.

We were up on the lake 7/1-7/5, fished a total of 8hrs over the weekend, had a trip of a lifetime going until the rain came. Boated a 36", (2) 44", 51" , and a 53". Saw a ton of other fish as well. We boated four of the five fish in aobut an 5hr span, CRAZY!

Island hopper - Great job! Which rain? I forget the day(a very good vacation) wink that it started raining around 1:00 AM and pounded until morning. I had more rain in my boat than I ever have since 2004. It took a long time to drain out the bilge. Gotta love when your new on board charger ends up 1/2 submerged smirk

Stable weather will crank things up again soon.

Later

Steve

Tommy,

How yah been? Your making me look bad with all the trying to hard and the thinking part. So when did I have a brain that could actually think too much? LOL. I am thinking about getting my muskie canonballing as a sanctioned event in the next summer olympics. Points will be awarded by form, splash size and size of muskie. The bigger the fish the less points you get. It is alot harder to canonball those 30"ers than it is a 50"er. So Tommy, you kick that C word and get practicing on your form. See you on the water.

Zelmsdawg,

Will this be your first time on the lake?

Yep, we're going to stay at V for 3 or 4 days then going up to Kabetogama for another 3 or 4 days with at least one of those being spent hopefully hiking up to shoepack. The thought was 3 days should be enough that there'll be one nice day weather wise.

Zelmsdawg

Gotta disagree with you on the PM fishing Tom, nothing wrong with it or pics of it. Lots of things in life are best done at certain times and can be done at other times, but they just won't be as good. When fishing, why not fish for the top/most elusive predator in the lake when they are most likely to partake in an offering? You're right it is easier, but remember its still muskie fishing and never a gimme, ever.

Nothing wrong with daytime hunting either, but why sweat all day, catch a sunburn, and see very often 50+ muskies that don't have one speck of interest in anything, any size, any color, any variety when you can go try them in the evening? Now don't get me wrong, I still do all mentioned in this paragraph also, and like to mix it up with stuff like trolling when the majority of shallow fish are laying around like dead logs.The food factor you mentioned is a good one, the fish out with all the bait are there cause they want to eat somethin! Just my opinion like you have yours of course, but nothing wrong with doing something at the best possible times for doing it.

This is for anyone.... Took a ride this evening, and saw several boatloads of musky fisherfolk out practically in the middle of wakemup narrows, pretty much straight out from the Dayton place. They were just sitting there, casting away in the blazing, setting sun.

Does anyone have a clue what drew them to that particular location? Besides random hope of catching a fish of course.

Fished for a few hours on Tuesday. Pretty warm and fairly windy. Hit the rocks pretty hard and didnt move a fish. Granted we werent able to hit the prime times but was hoping the guys in my boat could have at least seen a lazy follow. Got some time this upcoming week, hopefully will be able to hit some early morning/late evening time on the water. Beginning to wonder if I am fishing a different lake from some of these reports I'm reading.

This is for anyone.... Took a ride this evening, and saw several boatloads of musky fisherfolk out practically in the middle of wakemup narrows, pretty much straight out from the Dayton place. They were just sitting there, casting away in the blazing, setting sun.

Someone must have seen that 60 incher out there.... grin

Someone must have seen that 60 incher out there.... grin

Probably one of those bass guys with all the writing on his shirt. crygrinwink