• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Fishing Reports

You can launch at the Matoska Park landing off Lake just north of the bridge to Manitou Island. It's a 3 wide launch although you may have to go and search to park a few blocks away if the lot is full. You have to buy a yearly pass $20-30 at the license place inside White Bear City Hall during business hours. Do not try to launch there and not have the sticker-they will get you as they have volunteer old guys just waiting to ticket you as well as WBL police.

Another spot is down by Kowalski's in Commercial Bay next to Admiral D's $14-18 per launch and I haven't seen it used in a long time so maybe it isn't even being used anymore.

Good luck, hopefully they haven't sprayed the millfoil this week.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• tip_upclyma

• IBFishin2

• MN BassFisher

I know of the county park launch, is there another public launch on White Bear..? I have a tourney this weekend and I'm not using the county launch, was out there last Sunday, got off the lake around 1:00 and it was a nightmare. There was probably 12-15 vehicles waiting to launch boats, by the time we beached the boat and got it loaded was 45 minutes. Looking for a different launch option for this weekend.

Sounds like typical WBL launch to me. Sucks

Or any public launch on any metro lake, bald eagle is just as bad. In fact I have witnessed and heard of more rude and nasty boaters at many launches in the area this year.

The Launch on 96 is usually really crowded. Last night around 530 was a 40mn wait with people coming off or on. I can attest to the rude people for sure. That launch is only dredged out enough for 1 boat even though it has 2 lanes (Unless you have 2 small boats side by side). Some guys were barking at people for not using both lanes. I am assuming they haven't been there before or they would know its nearly impossible to load back up unless you are dead center on that ramp. Otherwise half your trailer is tilted if you use one side or the other. People gotta chill out a bit.

They need a better set-up that is for sure.

They do not need a better set-up, they need about two or three feet more water in the lake. The ramp is great when the lake is closer to normal level.

The ramp always sands in from the sides unless the waterlevel is really high. I wonder why they didn't put the concrete pads down further into the water when they redid it a few years ago when the lake level was fairly low?

It is a one wide ramp for now and plan on waiting if you go at typical times.

They do not need a better set-up, they need about two or three feet more water in the lake. The ramp is great when the lake is closer to normal level.

Looks like the city thinks it needs a better set-up. Quite a bit easier than figuring out the lake level problem. Now I just wish those impatient people at the launch a few weeks back would be able to see this. It's a perfect example of why you keep your mouth shut at the launch or anytime if you don't quite know whats going on. Had someone been there with a hot temper, I could have seen a fight breaking out. These "Kids" were slinging insults at any driver going 1 at a time. Sometimes I wish I had the guts (and muscles) to tell em to zip it.

City Clears out Launch

Yep it's two wide now until it sands in from the sides the end of this year or next year. If I see those kids I will give them an earful. Those youngins need to know their place.

Yea that launch gets tense at times. I very politely asked some guy to move the boat he was holding perpindicular to the dock and blocking the ramps there once. (all it would have taken was for him to walk the bow further out on the dock) The guy starts cussing and threatening me. I just chuckled and waded my boat around him. I waved at him and wished him good luck as he turned red in the face. I knew he wasn't letting go of his boat to come after me.

• 1 month later...

An FYI on millfoil weed treatment that took place July 11 on White Bear Lake.

Many more treatments to come this year frown

I will post when available.

Hope this helps someone with choices of fishing spots.

Here is a link some may find useful as it is where I copied the image from. WBLCD

Also, please feel free to let them know how you feel.

full-40472-22271-lake_treatment_1.jpg

• 5 months later...

I drove to the bellair park access yesterday and was amazed at the amount of people fishing out there!...I counted all the vehicles parked on the beach and to my surprise, parked on the ice, and counted 112 vehicles!!!..I wonder what everyone is catching?..Any of you boys and girls been out there yet?..Catch any?..I will be giving it a try in a week or so..Good luck all and be safe!

Went out onto WBL sunday with the kids. One crappie and a couple of bites. About 6 Inches of ice. I did see the massive amount of people on the ice on Saturday. There were so many cars at bellair park that people were parking on the ice... Yep, four of them broke through..

people have been parking on the ice for a few weeks, i mesured the ice monday and i had 8 inches atvs on both the white top ice and the clear

I was out on Saturday and there was about 7" solid ice, great for skating (took my daughters just to skate Sunday). Nice crappie luck from 5 pm-7 pm then it cooled off (figuratively and literally).

Everyone was smart and walked out....and then, I see a full size truck driving out. Mind you this is at night as well. At least this person had the decency to drive well away from everyone. But a truck? At night on 7"? Wow, talk about silly risks.

Has anyone gone out on the Mahtomedi side of the lake yet? Wanted to get an ice thickness report without having to drive over there. I'm assuming it is probably good for walking by now with the cold temps. Planning to get out there within the next day or two.

Had 11 inch tonight in my hole off bellaire. I did see a truck to the east which looked like it was out on the lake but I'm thinking it is a sand bar they were on top of. It is a safe bet someone will drive out before the weekend CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

ya every one saying they have seen trucks on the ice its a sand bar to the right of the beach you can just drive the shore and park over there if you are going to that part of the lake

Hi there!

Got the day off with my daughters- is the ice still smooth and "skateable"? Not alot of snow? If so that buys me about 1 hour more of fishing time.......

Didnt check the thickness this weekend but there was a truck and some cars out off of bellaire. Not a good idea in my book.

I joined the crowed in front of Bellaire beach this evening around 4pm Set up in about 11 feet of water. Caught a small snotrocket a handfull of crappies around 5-5:30pm the largest being 10 inches. There were many vehicles, skid shacks, portables and one 16' ice cabin on the ice. I measured 11 1/2" of ice. I would assume the whole lake is safe to walk out except for maybe under the bridge but I don't know the lake very well. I asked one of the two sheriffs parked on Bellaire beach if there were any spots to watch out for but he couldn't think of any. It sounded like today was the first day the were gonna be out on the ice this season.

North end southeast of the rock pile there are springs and a truck went in by the tip of the island last year.

bump...with as many people that I have seen on this lake...the lack of reports are one of two things IMO...either the bite is so amazing that no one wants to blab...or two, the White Bear Lake Blues strikes again! wink

I was out last Saturday from 3-6pm on the North side. 13"s of ice...and I drove my F150 reg cab out to our spot. Fished 16 FOW....lots of small perch was all we got.

I have decided next time out...I am going shallow, shallow, shallow. 8-10 FOW to see if I can find some bucket fish.

We have been out 5 times or so. We stay away from the Bellaire shanty town most times, although have heard they are getting some real good size crappies if you sort through some dinks. Same as every year.

We fish for walleyes and have done decent. Nothing huge but 10-15 eaters in our 5 trips. Then a few smaller 8-12" fish as well. Had a pike or two on tip-ups for good measure but nothing of significant size.

Some nights are good, others no marks at all. Other times its marks and no bites. We'll just keep trying I guess until we get into some bigger fish. I'm after big guys for some good CPR.

Nice report Hagigun...thanks! I know there are piggies in there (i have a WBL 29"er on my wall wink

10-15 eaters in 5 trips is doing pretty well on the WB (IMO)...so whatever pattern you are on right now is working!

So I am planning on leaving work early today to get out for a sundown-evening fish....was anyone out last night? How was the standing water?

@ stpaulslouch...yo, sorry I missed your message from a couple of days ago (i barely know how to log on wink Your crappie pattern is spot on for what I have experienced in the past....tonight I am gonna go to a smaller 13-15' hole surrounded by thick weeds...I have had good luck there with crappies in the past

Ice Report 12-16 inches on West end Bellaire Area

12 inches off east end out to 18 ft line then 10.5 inches.

Please be careful in Deep main basin areas, in the gap between Manitou Island and the peninsula, by the islands/ordways bar on the north end, and under the bridge to Manitou island.

Good luck!

@ stpaulslouch...yo, sorry I missed your message from a couple of days ago (i barely know how to log on wink Your crappie pattern is spot on for what I have experienced in the past....tonight I am gonna go to a smaller 13-15' hole surrounded by thick weeds...I have had good luck there with crappies in the past

I tried this theory a week ago on White Bear on the north side by the rock bar. went out early afternoon...tiny perch ALL AFTERNOON!! But half an hour before sun set they went away and the larger marks started to appear. Lost a hog and my glow red Chubby Darter.

Best of lucks guys.