• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Fishing Reports

Anyone find the crappies this past weekend? water levels are low but not worse than last year at this time(at least by the north launch). went to my spawn/postspawn spot and nothing but bass and perch. i might just be a tad early for that area to hold the crappies.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• tip_upclyma

• IBFishin2

• MN BassFisher

Was there yesterday and kept 15. biggest was 11 smallest was nine that we kept. went out at about 6:30 am and stayed till about 1. All the ones that were kept were males except for one.

ndshafer is my absolute hero today smile let those mama pigs that are in the lake stay there. i had very similar fish number/size (actually some bigger ones) results my past few trips but i didn't keep anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Was out on WBL last summer and I remembering it being the lowest ive ever seen it. Well, heading back to MN in a week, on leave from the Army, just wondering if the water levels have improved at all or if it is still low? Thanks

Chris

I was looking at the water level for White Bear on the DNR Lake Finder yesturday. White Bear is within .32 feet of the lowest it has ever been since 1924.

Lake name: White Bear County: Washington

Last 10 years of data, click to enlarge.

Water Level Data

Period of record: 01/01/1924 to 03/01/2010

# of readings: 5851

Highest recorded: 926.7 ft (06/20/1943)

Lowest recorded: 919.89 ft (02/06/1991)

Recorded range: 6.81 ft

Last reading: 920.21 ft (03/01/2010)

Ordinary High Water Level (OHW) elevation: 924.89 ft

Yup, still really low. But it recovered after the 91 level so it will recover again eventually. Gonna be a few more years though.

Dang... I can't even fish down here in Kentucky because the Coat Guard closed all the resevoirs due to the flooding. Hopefully WBL bounces back.... the twins game was rained out tonight, thats a good start i guess

Bald Eagle is fine. Looked a bit higher than normal to me, but I don't hit it in spring much, so hard to say for sure. I was out there testing boat for a bit last Friday.

Bald Eagle is up about a foot higher than it was and the end of the season last year and that was before the rain we've had in the past 3-4 days. We had a bit of wetness putting the docks in 12 days ago.

Has anyone had any luck on White Bear Lake since the opener? I was out all night on the opener and again on Sunday morning with little luck.

I've been wondering how the weather has been affecting everyone's fishing.

When I went out on opener for 4 hours of fishing in the morning, we had warm weather and bluebird skies.

The fish seemed pretty inactive though we boated a few nice ones. In total we raised 4 (2 LMB and 2 pike) and boated 3. All 4 fish were attracted to different lures, at different times (each about an hour from one another), and at different locations of the lake.

Are the pike as confused about what they should be doing this time of year as I am? Is anyone having good success, or is it more a "one here, one there" type of day when you've been out?

My gameplan is pretty simple, hit the weedline, fishing inside a bit and outside a bit if the weedline doesn't produce and see if moving a bit shallower or moving a bit deeper works, until I find some kind of pattern.

ive been doin good... its all about trial and error and finding those patterns. Had the same issue last week threw everything at them- BUT found that magic combo finally... stayin on the outside weed edge 10 fow adjacent to deep water white jig head + half a worm = MONEY

IMG_1063.jpg

Went out yesterday and had great success between where the weeds are too thick to fish to the end of the weed edge, pike were pretty ferocious and were obviously turned on.

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow. We'll see if today's cold weather followed by tomorrow's extreme warmup does anything weird to the fish.

Fished from 11 AM to 8 PM tonight. Took a while to figure out the pattern, but once I did they were absolutely on fire.

• 7 months later...

Since someone started a Bald Eagle only section, I figured I'd do the same for WB.

Has anyone ever tried fishing for walleyes in shallow water here? I've been thinking about hitting the rocks in between 5-10 feet of water for an overnighter.

I tried the rockpile last night out from Ramsey with no luck. We found a sharp break in countour, I hooked a fish with a shiner on my deadstick, hopeful it was a walleye. Got it to the hole to realize it was a snake northern. Then we caught a 9" crappie and that was it. Man do I dislike fishing that lake. Some of my worst days have come on that lake and none of my best.

I tried the rockpile last night out from Ramsey with no luck. We found a sharp break in countour, I hooked a fish with a shiner on my deadstick, hopeful it was a walleye. Got it to the hole to realize it was a snake northern. Then we caught a 9" crappie and that was it. Man do I dislike fishing that lake. Some of my worst days have come on that lake and none of my best.

it looks like you are getting out quite often mitch... even enough to start complaining about it!

Haha I've been out 10 times. Don't get me wrong, it's always fun. I just always seem to get lured out on WBL by a buddy and we never catch anything.

I just got a house in Birchwood on the south east corner of the lake. It looks like it has some good structure and edges near that shore. Has anyone fished that side of the lake with any luck? I have never fished the lake but am looking forward to exploring that area come Jan.

saw this on the news last night (you can find it on KSTP website)

"Usually by this time of year, Minnesota's lakes are packed with anglers, but right now, Minnesota's DNR and area water patrols are urging ice anglers to be wary of the ice depth on Twin Cities' lakes.

Ramsey County's Water Patrol says heavy snow has insulated the ice on area lakes, especially on White Bear Lake, which means it takes longer for the ice to get thick.

Even though some ice anglers are venturing out on the lakes already, the Water Patrol says it's safer to wait at least one more week before you should even think about going on the ice.

The Water Patrol says White Bear Lake may not even be safe for animals right now."

not safe for animals??? last time i checked, i know brave souls who have ventured out on 2 inches of ice and not fallen through to catch a few fish. and i have seen some retrievers get ducks off on an inch of ice. now i know ice is never 100% safe, but i would bet to guess that the whole lake is almost all 4 inches (dnr safety suggestion)i know people who have been out there reprting up to 14 inches in some spots, but never less than 8-9 inches

I went out on the 11th and there was eight inches everywhere I drilled, allthough I did'nt move but two times due to the blizzard that day and all. Has the snow insulated the ice enough to actually start loosing some ice? The DNR, Sheriff, and the local cops never ever say that the ice is good, they will not use the word "safe" and neither will I, but for the most part to a seasoned ice fisherman you can get out catch your fish and still go home and tuck in the kids.

Last week I tried the night bite by the Rockpile (out from Ramsey beach) but I didn't have much luck. One snake northern and one crappie.

Any newes on how the fishing has been out on White Bear? I thought with this warm weather it may have gotten better. I havnt been out on white bear yet but plan on heading out next week.

I have been out 2 times and the ice was not so good. It was thick but the slush layer was a pain. The landing on bellair is [PoorWordUsage] it is one big rutt like last year.

Hope to be out saturday.

I was out there on the 29th, and Caught a 5lb Northern on a tip-up with a sucker minnow. went off the Ramsey county Boat launch, parked on the shore, and walked out, we went out about 200-300ft, and we caught a bass, and the rest were sunfish. and we were out from 10am-4pm