• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Borch

Patterning Info, Results and Questions.

engfish

+1 on Federal 3". I shoot it out of my Mossberg 535 with a stock full choke and have had excellent results.

Fishman11

A TIP: Try aiming at the neck area instead of at the head that should take care of the high shots. Worked for me. grin

bluehat28

Plus 1 on the neck shot looks like your tryin for the head.PS I shoot a 20ga Bennelli with The Undertaker and Federal Premium Turkey loads 3in. I have no problem with the patterns @ 35 yrds

Sorgy

When shooting my 870 and sighting down the rib I consistantly hit high. Now I aim for the top of the beard instead of the waddles. My first turkey I got with one piece of shot to the brain- I did not keep my head down. For that reason a red dot or a set of sights that you can adjust would be a big bonus.

Good Luck

Steve

goblueM

I'm taking my dad out turkey hunting this spring for the first time - which means I'll be giving him my 12 gauge and scope

I'll now be hunting with my 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro previously only used for upland. It has a mid-rib bead so I think I should be ok without buying a scope or fiber-optic sights

I got a Cabelas choke with a .575 diameter, rated for lead, hevi shot, and copperplated loads. Any recommendations on shell selection for those that have used 20 ga for turkeys?

bluehat28

Thats the same gun I use, after buying and trying many different loads the Federal 3" Turkey load #5 with the flite control wad is my choice.Hope this helps.

goblueM

great, thanks! I will have to give that a go.

I may have gone just a bit off the deep end and ordered a Double Bull blind, so I suppose I can use my bow hunting out of that smile

Borch

In my daughter's 870 20 gauge Prinos Tightwad with hevishot # 6 or #7 shot has been devastating on turgets to 40 plus yards. Runs a little tighter that your cabelas choke(.570).

Powerstroke

I've also had great luck with the 20ga heavishot. Its expensive at first, but once you know it patterns you only need one shell. They hit hard and fly well from a 20ga.

Musky Buck

Dumb ? I know but why is there a 4 shot or smaller rule on turkeys ? The only thought I have is the shell companies want us buying this turkey load rather than use what many of us already have in goose or duck loads ? Just curious, have never heard why that is.

DonBo

Dumb ? I know but why is there a 4 shot or smaller rule on turkeys ? The only thought I have is the shell companies want us buying this turkey load rather than use what many of us already have in goose or duck loads ? Just curious, have never heard why that is.

Small vital area on a turkey - head and neck only. Shoot your gun at a patterning board and see for yourself. Huge holes in the pattern at 30+ yards, holes that a small turkey head will fit inside of. Smaller shot fills those holes.

The larger shot used on waterfowl is for penetrating deep into meat and breaking bones of flying birds to bring them down. That same shot on a folded up wing of a turkey will likely only cripple.

Musky Buck

Right on thanks Donbo, I'd question penetration by waterfowl loads though, those steel pellets penetrate very poorly, they bounce off geese like crazy, if you don't bust the wing or clip the coconut you get the drift, back in the lead days with a full choke, 30" barrel and the best goose load ever made # 4 buckshot, good night Irene. Now most are upping to a 3.5" 12 or 10 gauge even, those guns were way unneccesary in the lead days. But, I get the turkey thing, you blast like a T shot at a 30 yard target and there could be a hole big enough to fit the turkeys head/neck in when you have those extra pellets in like a number 5 those are on the head of the target because there's more of them, thanks Don for clarifying that. And PS. the Toms were gobbling like mad last night before dark when the sun was just perfect on the woodlines.

Borch

There is also a safety factor as turkey hunters use decoys and do their best to sound like a turkey. One of the reasons that stalking turkeys is often frown upon. Smaller shot results in less retained penetration at longer distances.

Archerysniper

There is also a safety factor as turkey hunters use decoys and do their best to sound like a turkey. One of the reasons that stalking turkeys is often frown upon. Smaller shot results in less retained penetration at longer distances.

+1 you hit the nail on the head. #4 shot and smaller will equal less fatalities for accidental shootings

Neighbor_guy

After getting a last minute invite for the weekend I grabbed my coyote shot gun and some shells to pattern test it with something other than dead coyote T shot or 3" #4 copper buck.

First let me say you hard core turkey guys are nuts! That had to be the most painfull shooting I have ever done, I'm still sore.

So. Mossberg 535 pump 12ga. Carlsons extended range dead coyote choke. Winchester Super X (or something like that) from wanderer's personal stash, federal copper coated #6 +#5 with flight control, and federal buffered lead turkey loads in #4 +#5. 3.5" shells for all parties. 2shots each at 20 and 40yds.

Ended up picking the regular (cheaper) 4shot hardened buffered lead from federal. It was hands down better than the rest at 40yds.

And unless I decide to put a red dot on this gun I am very happy that I don't need to do this again. Made me wish I could've found something for the 20ga instead.

Here's to hoping for first timers luck.

Archerysniper

Nobody believes me when i say that will be the most recoil you have ever felt. You could have used mine 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz of 5's she's a real gem to shoot

11-87

What do you prefer brand wise for a 20g mosseberg.  12yr old daughters  gun? 

Looking for choke info.  

Thanks 

Jerry