• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if anyones fished either one of these lakes? Any tips would be appricated. Thanks

I've fished them both. Perch is a pretty shallow lake. Used to winter fish for northerns in there and get a few. DNR planted walleyes in there for a few years and gave up because it winterkills rather easily. Whisper has had a lot of attention as of recent years. There is a deep hole in the south west corner of the lake that keeps it from winter killing. DNR has stocked it pretty regularly, but the secret of the lake was given up a few years ago and it gets fished quite heavily. I go back there for photography quite a bit, and hardly ever get to Whisper without finding someone in there. Saw a family camped there two years ago from Ohio and I asked them how they found out about that lake and they told me they found it on the internet. It's too small a lake to take much fishing pressure. A few bass and panfish in there as well, but most take out a limit of 8 inch walleyes.

I used to fish Perch lake when you could drive a fourwheeler in there but now the dnr put no fourwheeling signs up and put some rocks on the trails getting in there!!! madmad

I have fished whisper once and only caught two nice ones thats it so decided to go some where else. Thanks for the info though!!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Jetsky
      LOL Skunked, I believe you're probably right.   No Muskies but they caught their limit of eaters and one of them caught a 26 incher.  So a successful trip for them.
    • knoppers
      when I was guiding for Dan Gapen on the river, we kept the smaller smallmouth for shore lunch. they taste like any other fish.
    • leech~~
      Church is tomorrow, you may want to go get that mind cleaned out!🤭
    • CigarGuy
      Leech, let's try to keep this site PG!😂
    • leech~~
      I've never kept and eaten a small mouth and have only kept 2 large mouth my whole life.  One I mounted and the other I eat just to see what they were like.  But that just me. Well, I've never eaten a rock bass or dog fish either! 😆
    • EyeWannabee
      After 15+ yrs going to pike bay lodge every June I have noticed many more bass anglers in the resort.  Also notice many 15-18” smallmouth in the cleaning shack.  I would estimate on a daily average 4 of 5 buckets of entrails are of smallmouths vs walleye or pike.  Not sure how it is at other resorts but if folks are taking the larger fish for fish fry it could explain the smaller average size of smallies being caught.  Just my 2 cents.  Largest smallie brought in my boat this year was 19” but fewer 17-18” fish than past years.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Sounds like it's time to start keeping the smaller smallies for lunch.
    • SkunkedAgain
      With two muskies under my belt, my best advice is to fish for pike and bass and then let a giant muskie come chomp down on said pike/bass as you reel it in. 🙂   Unfortunately I have no other good advice.
    • gimruis
      The guys in that tourney aren't permitted to use live bait though.  That makes a substantial difference.  Clear water and pressure with nothing but artificial lures makes for a difficult bite.   I don't have a theory as to why the average size of smallmouth on Vermilion is declining.  The common explanation would be too many smaller fish are gobbling up resources and there isn't enough for bigger ones, but that doesn't seem like a plausible answer in a big lake like Vermilion.  Certainly people aren't keeping plus sized smallmouth either.  That far north, it takes a bass about 10 years to reach 5 pounds/20 inches in size.
    • Rick G
      St Cloud has a good access at Wilson park,  Sartell has a nice access off NE River Rd,  another access above Blanchard dam on East side off Hilton Rd  and at Lindbergh state park...Little Falls  has a access right above the dam.   Water is pretty high and dirty.  Crayfish colors have been good again this week.  Smallies have been using anything available that breaks the current so finding them most days has been pretty easy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.