• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 6 "BEARD TRIMMERS"

Jim916

Going out Friday to set up trail camera hope to get a big tom in the picture before I shoot him. Been practicing my bow for the taking. Can't wait.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• mknolls

• duckhuntr21

• Borch

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips guys. Congrats on the trip donbo. I have always wondered if the vendors at sportshows and the contests that they have at Gander, FF, and Cabelas for hunting trips actually have winners. Are there any general areas that we should try in the BH or is everywhere just as good.

So yesterday I checked out this new 120 acre piece of property I just received permission to hunt. All I can say is WOW, what a beautiful chunk of land. It's only about 10 minutes from my home here in the metro and just a few miles from the spot I've been hunting for a couple years now. I'll be out early tomorrow morning listening for any toms that might be sounding off-then we'll know how good it really is.

Good luck to all you guys who get to start next week! Hope you get a chance for some last minute scouting this weekend. Let us all know how it goes.

I have had the calls out and I am not usually one to pat myself on the back, but I am petty sure that I screwed up my should pattin' away - I am sounding good. Pretty sure I had one trying to get in my basment.

A few more days and off we go!

Good Luck and a safe hunt to all!!!

DL

Woody, not sure it's sporting, shooting one in your basement. grin

Good luck Wednesday!

Sat on my new spot this morning. At least two different toms sounding off from my property and two other not too far away. Sure was good to hear some gobbling again! smile Nine more days for me.

Sat on another of my new properties this morning. Had three of them gobbling from right on top of me. smile Snuck out of there before they flew down so they wouldn't be able to bust me.

Eight days and counting...

Busted three Gobblers Fri morning at 6:30. Didn't see them at first light but by noon had them in my view at a 100 yards from my set up Wednesday morning.

Heading back up tomorrow and putting them to bed. Signs sure look good for the opener.

Good luck team.

Guys, don't forget to bring your camera and this form. Read the rules and print out this form before going afield. If anyone needs help posting photos, let me know.

Good luck!!!

Turkey Contest 2010

Complete this form with your turkey’s measurements. Include photos of your turkey’s spurs and beard with a ruler or tape measure. Include in one of the photos your turkeys filled out tag or slip of paper with the date of the harvest. The turkey’s weight must be witnessed and signed by you and the witness below on this form.

Forum Member:____________________ Date:_____________

Team Name: _________________________________

Youth Hunter(17 or younger):Yes _______ No ________

Turkey Subspecies: _____________________

State/Province Bird was Harvested In: ____________________

Turkey’s Stats

Beard Length ____________inches

Spur Length ® _________inches (L)_________inches

Weight ___________ pounds

The certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: ________________________ Date:_________

Witness: _____________________________ Date:_________

What do you do with the completed form. That is if I have anything to put on it?

There will be a submission thread going. Just post it there with the pix.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Either take a pic of it or scan it and then post it in the submission thread along with the other pics.

Was sure hopeing to hear from Woody or Mknolls by now. They've both got this first season. Come on boys, get us on the board!

Hey Guys,

Jim, when are you headed to your turkey ground? I am heading down Tuesday afternoon after work. I am hoping to hunt or at least try and put birds to bed. I will have buddies in the woods starting Sunday night.

I am really excited. I am introducing turkey hunting to a buddy of mine that I whitetail hunt with. I hope we get our birds. We had planned on bowhunting them but I believe we are going to grab the shotguns right out of the gate. For me two birds is a tall order in 3.25 days of hunting. I would really like to be fairly moble.

I am a little conserned that woody ande mcknolls haven't checked in yet. Hopefully they are slow playing a couple of big tommy's that are in turkey fryer.

Jim if you want to swap info when we are down ther e-mail me your number at [email protected] We have a land line at the farm that I can use (cell doesn't work down there,thank god). If I don't hear from you good luck and shoot him in the face.

I plan on hunting Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I am hoping I just need Monday. I too am bringing a newbie for his first hunt.3 of the last 4 years we have had a bird the first hour and a half of our first day, so I am hoping for the same this year.

Musky456 I will send an email. my cell is spotty down there also.

Good luck guys and have a safe hunt and looking forward to some stories!!

Leaving for the Black Hills in the AM!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope to be posting an entry next weekend. Good luck everybody.

Sorry Fellas - Gobblers were all henned up for us!

I did manage to get my nephew his first jake though!

Woody

You're done now Woody? Oh well...hope you had a good time.

Great job with your nephew! His first? How old is he?

I sat at my #1 spot again early this morning. Two toms gobbling right from where they're supposed to be. Three others on the neighboring property-close, and a boatload of others sounding off in the not to far distance. Set a blind in a hay field just 100 yards from the roost this afternoon. Two more get-ups and I'm hunting. smile

Planning on carrying my bow at least the first morning, then we'll see how it goes.

Ever notice how much easier it is to get up at 4:30 in the morning for turkey or deer hunting rather than for work?

Hmmm....

I wonder why? wink

Good Luck Don!

No luck this morning. Saw two big toms, but they didn't like my decoy set-up. I'll shake it up some tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to work so much this week....not that I'm complaining about haveing work.

I saw 1 tom as I was walking. He saw me as I saw him and he ran away.

I did have 2 toms hang up about a 100 yards away. They would not cross the gulley. That will teach me for second guessing my set up.

I did have a hen come up to my decoys and she fanned out for a few seconds. Has anyone ever seen this before?

I will be out again Thursday and Friday.

I've had hens strut, fan and all sorts of weird behavior. Sure is neat isn't it.

I wish to apologize to the team. Dam, I failed. I was not as on top of my game plan opening morning. Two Toms and three Jake's showed up at ten thirty. Yes I did carry a shot gun with me and for a brief moment I may of had a shot at the Toms that hung out at forty yards, as the wise Toms they where they sent the Jake's over to check out my decoys. With bow in hand and with Jake's at eight to ten yards, I struggled to find any kind of beards on them. I would have been happy to take my first turkey with my bow even if they were Jake's. If you love hunting with a bow a lot you will understand. Yes I may have been able to knock down one of the toms if I would have been quick enough to grab my gun rather then thinking they may come closer, or if the Jake's at my door step had a beard. Witch I strained to find. They all got a little spooked and moved away. Far enough that I felt it wouldn't be a clean kill. I have a video of my experience as my second year of turkey hunting. I still have to load it to my computer. I'll put it out to you tube and put a link on here for those of you how want to ridicule me. I will have to figure that out. Nothing the rest of the week that even came close enough to see but only hear. Brother had a chance to sneak up to one that roosted early evening, sixty five yards from his blind. Got a nice branch to wall mount for his effort. Another guy hunting same property took nice tom twenty four pounds. Eight to nine inch beard. Don't think it was the same one I got on video because I heard the two of them the next day talking about me, from a distance of course. Still had the time of my life for the turkey opener. I should mention I hunted four days, first two days with out leaving blind. Fri morning, Saturday a no show for me and all day Sunday in blind with a little scouting. I can only hope you all have better luck then Me. Up to the rest of ya to get er done. Hope your excuse is as good as mine. YA

Wanted to shout out to woody for taking a youngster out, WAY TO GO. Glad to see he had good luck. And Don hope you have a better report then me. Hope your aim is true. GOOD LUCK