• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 6 "BEARD TRIMMERS"

Jim916

We have the teams picked and that means the season is getting closer!

Any ideas for a name? What season is everyone hunting?

I am going 342B. We have had really good luck so I am looking forward to this.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• mknolls

• duckhuntr21

• Borch

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Jim. Here's the roll call:

duckhuntr21 M

DonBo

Woody1975

Mknolls

Jim916

Muskie456

Let's hear from everyone on where/when you'll be hunting and a little bit about yourself.

I'll be hunting in MN April 19-23, metro area, and Wisconsin, zone 4, May 5-9. Been turkey hunting for (jeez, can't believe it) 30 years. I've shot a pile with my bow but mostly use the shotgun these days.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you. Love to talk turkey!!!!

Any name ideas? I'll think about it...

Hey Guys,

I'm hunting 342B as well. I will be taking a couple young guys out the weekend before my season and then home to work for a couple days then I'll be back at camp wed, thurs, fri with my bow. I'll see how it is going the first two days then I may grab my shotgun for the last day. It's much less gear intensive and I can run and gun much easier.

I have been turkey hunting for 8 years now both fall and spring seasons when I can. I have killed a handful of them. I have only killed one with my bow and that was two years ago. Last year I picked up the shotgun and kill one on the last day of my season because I ran short on time. I was helping a young guy in camp get a bird.

I hate to say it but Turkey hunting has almost become more enjoyable to me than chasing whitetails with my bow(been doing that for 25 years). There is something about those spring mornings that I love.

I will try and come up with a suggestion or two for a name. I haven't done this before and I am pretty excited to not let my team down.

Hey here we go!

I'll be hunting the first season in 349 - Southeastern Minnesota here we come. Been 3 years since we got drawn - Gobble Gobble.

Beard Trimmers?????

Wow, 4 of 6 already checked in and we're all hunting the first two seasons. Guess everyone else will just have to play catch up with our tonnage huh? grin

I like "Beard Trimmers", any other ideas?

I like beard trimmers also.

This might be my 7th year hunting, I lost track because I have helped other get bird too(my wife has shot 2). I have a great spot to hunt as we have shot at least 1 bird the last five years in a row.

I am taking my neighbor this year and it will be his first time ever turkey hunting. I bet he will get hooked on it like most of us are.

Musky456 where in 342 will you be hunting? I am about 2 miles SW of Theilman on county rd86.

Good luck to us.

Beard Trimmers good for everyone then???

Good for you guys taking others out. I was an NWTF mentor last year and though my kid didn't shoot one we had a couple pretty close, gobbling like crazy. He thought that was pretty cool. Have other obligations on the mentor weekend this year but do plan on taking a couple other guys and one kid out.

My spot in Wisconsin (several private farms actually) has put out lots of birds the last 10 years or so. Two of us and I think there were only three times where one of us didn't shoot one. My partners have shot one 27 pounder and a 25 pounder! My best is 23 1/2, but I'm hopefull it's my turn for the hog. smile

Jim916,

I know that area really well. That is basically right where our turkey camp is. The cabin I stay at is about 3 mi. NW of Theilman. Are you on private or public ground? If you are on public we should figure out where each of us are going to be at. I have a couple areas that I hunt and if you are going to be at one of them I will avoid it. No offence but I would rather not see you bright and early. Are you hunting the whole season?

Beard trimmers sounds good to me.

Musky456, I am on private land that has a piece of landlocked state land connected to it.

Are you from that area? I grew up in Plainview thats why I go down there. I hunt by the old cemetary out in the field/pasture if you know where that is.

I plan on hunting at least 3 days,maybe more depending on my vacation left to use up.

Beard trimmers sounds good to me. Out of town the last three days. Hunting 225 first weekend. Have not yet taken a turkey for my self. I have assessed my son the very first year we hunted five years ago and he took a nice Jake. Had a few years in there just didn't have the time. Last year missed a nice tom with my bow. Plan on hunting with a bow this year as well. Hunt private property N of Fish lake just west of Harris MN 220 acres private land. My brother has taken a few Jake's over the years but not a big tom yet. Seems the old boys all ways the one to hang up. My plan to put them to bed Tue: night hope for the best. I hunt out a double bull 360 blind Love it. Big enough for two people and a tripod for a video camera. I shoot a Mathews Drenalin bow. Plan on video this year again. Only going to miss one evening out of the week. I do have a question for all. Does any body know if you can carry a shot gun and bow at the same time. I figure if a bird hangs up a long way out of bow reach that I may have a chance with a shot gun but only on the last few days of the hunt. My Plan is to hunt with a bow as that is my favorite way to hunt. But would like to get a bird as well. Thought I would hunt or carry both the last few days. Thanks Good luck to all.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yes it's legal to have both weapons.

Good Luck!

DonBo what you looking to get that lamp back but this time it'll have a turkey instead of quail in it laugh. I'll Tell you what.... laugh

DonBo what you looking to get that lamp back but this time it'll have a turkey instead of quail in it laugh. I'll Tell you what.... laugh

Ha ha, yeah you could probably fit that little baby turkey you're gonna shoot right inside that lamp...no one would know the difference. HA!

Note to my Team #6 teammates. This was just the first of many who will try to hijack our thread. They all know who to be looking up too and they all be jealous. smile

Hijack all you want boyz - Beard Trimmerz are Spur Collectors

NUUK NUUK - GOBBLE GOBBLE - BOOM or ffftt (for those on our squad who are stickin' n stringin'!!!

Originally Posted By: elwood

Ha ha, yeah you could probably fit that little baby turkey you're gonna shoot right inside that lamp...no one would know the difference. HA!

Note to my Team #6 teammates. This was just the first of many who will try to hijack our thread. They all know who to be looking up too and they all be jealous. smile

the only thing that will be put back in that lamp is your empty TAG Don laughlaugh my birds fan will not let you see that lamp grin

So, we've all checked in except duckhunter, and we all start one of the two first seasons. Pretty cool. Good luck guys. Keep us up to date on anything you're doing (scouting, shooting, whatever) leading up to your first season.

I'll put a call out to duckhunter, try to find him and get him to check in.

I am heading down this weekend to shoot my bow and take a walk in the woods. I had a hunting buddy watch 4 toms follow behind 12 hens last weekend. He said those toms were doing thier best to get noticed and those hens were just feeding away from them. I guess they are not quite ready for those old boys.

Jim I'm not from that area but have spent a lot of time down there the last 10 years. I sure enjoy that part of the state.

Happy easter boys and have a good weekend,

Pat

Hi guys, just snoopin on the competition. grin You planning on missing a lot with a name like 'Beard Trimmers'? shocked DonBo, can't believe they still let you cross the river. wink

Go home now Cooter, you just wish you were part of our team. laugh

As for the river, I know many ways back and forth over the great ol' St. Croix. You know Wisconsin is more a state of mind than of boundries and my mind fits right in. cool

hey guys, sorry to check in late. My Mn season is 213D and will be hunting near Battle Lake. I am also going out to the Black hills on April 18.

Welcome to the winning group duckhunter! The Black Hills is a pretty popular destination in the spring...for good reason. Ever hunted there before?

Hi guys, just snoopin on the competition. grin You planning on missing a lot with a name like 'Beard Trimmers'? shocked DonBo, can't believe they still let you cross the river. wink

cooter its not that he gets across onto your side of the river its that we let him come back laugh Oh and Don I just had soup wink

Hooked up with three new properties in the metro this weekend totaling about 120 acres. Looks to be a promising season. Two weeks from today for me.

I still need to get out and shoot the gun a few times, other than that I'm ready to go!

I thought the metro area was off limits for the HSO turkey contest. grin

Typical cheaderhead, trying to think. Good luck with that. laugh

Welcome to the winning group duckhunter! The Black Hills is a pretty popular destination in the spring...for good reason. Ever hunted there before?

No I haven't ever tried out there before. My sis and brother in law just got stationed at the Air Force base in Rapid City so I figured that I should take advantage of their couch before I start work again. Any good tips on where to try and where not to go?

duck, wish I could be of more help. I hunt the edge of the Black Hills (near Sturgis) in the fall. The area I hunt is NOT part of the Black Hill zone.

I do think there are birds prety much anywhere and everywhere in the hills. Look for creek bottoms and drainages where there may be some sort of consistant water supplies. Look for areas with more than one type of terrain as in pines with oak draws or flats.

I also think the Merriams are much more vocal than our Easterns. Don't be afraid to move if you don't hear any right away. A good plan may be to drive down the road and stop to listen every half mile or so.

Good luck!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Originally Posted By: DonBo

No I haven't ever tried out there before. My sis and brother in law just got stationed at the Air Force base in Rapid City so I figured that I should take advantage of their couch before I start work again. Any good tips on where to try and where not to go?

You'll find pockets of birds through out the Black Hills. Running and gunning works very well walking the numerous logging roads with a box or crow call. Don't get to hung out on sign as these birds put on about 9-12 miles a day.