• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

white bass

canon

Last fall I really enjoyed white bass fishing. Is the white bass fishing good in the spring as well? Does this continue a bit through the summer? I am new to fishing this fish and really enjoyed the catch, just don't know enough about them. Any info is helpful. I started fishing the croix a couple years ago, I found it difficult at first to find the fish I was searching for and the techniques, but now I really enjoy the river, it is truly a great place to be.

If you are fishing off of a boat, you have numerous places up and down the river to catch white bass. You can catch them in the stillwater area, prescott, hudson, not to mention up and down the mississippi. The usually bite very well between April-July. I also love fishing white bass myself. They put up a pretty good fight. Do you catch and release only or have you tried eating them? They are quite tasty in my opinion.

Good luck in the spring.

Thanks for the reply. I keep some of them, I heard they are tasty so I tried it and found they are right. I have heard many taking the red meat off of their side and have tried it both ways. I mainly fished the croix for smallies in which I release, but one day I tried for crappies and caught the white bass. One day when I was out fishing, I noticed a top water frenzy and casted a rattle trap in, wow, was that fun, tasty and fun, what a great combination. I have found it hard to find them some days, but again I am new to it. I am not a walleye fisherman, I enjoy the search and the casting, so white bass is perfect fishing for me. I had a lot of success in the fall, have not tried the spring yet, so is it pretty good action? I fished around the 94 bridge.

They usually start spawning in late april or so, you can catch them left and right along the shorelines, and they'll be good sized too. In the summer I usually just catch them accidentally fishing for smallies. But in the fall I like to fish the hudson area, after all the big boats are gone. You could search for them by trolling cranks, and then just keep an eye open for feeding schools.

Canon,

Off the 94 bridge is good. In my opinion, there always seems to be a lot of boat traffic there though. I usually try to find a spot where the water is flowing pretty good. Like a dam or resevoir. They seem to like to hang out where the water current is fast. One thing I should mention is that in the spring, you will catch bigger ones than you would in the fall. In the spring, you'd catch the big ones that are out to spwan, and usually in the fall, you end up catching the younger ones, and sometimes the ones that were hatched in the spring. Good luck fishing.

They usually start spawning in late april or so, you can catch them left and right along the shorelines

Haha but beware..Public shorelines will be shoulder to shoulder combat fishing at times and the protocol is you cast in front of me then I cast in front of you.. Reel in fast enough to avoid my lure crossing your line... Etc. Etc.. I would suggest a boat to get away from the mayhem.

May and early June is about as good as it gets...

- Rooster tails in orange/green/gold (1/4 oz or 1/8 oz)

- 1/8 oz Rat-L-Traps of all colors

- Curly tail grubs white & chartreuse (1/8 oz and 1/16 oz)

- 2" Gulp Minnows

- silver & gold kastmasters 1/8 oz

1ER

Yeah, I drift along the shorelines with my boat. In my experience, the steaper and rockier the shoreline, the better. Can't go wrong with silver mepps spinners or white twister tails.

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
They usually start spawning in late april or so, you can catch them left and right along the shorelines

Haha but beware.. Public shorelines will be shoulder to shoulder combat fishing at times and the protocol is you cast in front of me then I cast in front of you.. Reel in fast enough to avoid my lure crossing your line... Etc. Etc.. I would suggest a boat to get away from the mayhem.

May and early June is about as good as it gets...

- Rooster tails in orange/green/gold (1/4 oz or 1/8 oz)

- 1/8 oz Rat-L-Traps of all colors

- Curly tail grubs white & chartreuse (1/8 oz and 1/16 oz)

- 2" Gulp Minnows

- silver & gold kastmasters 1/8 oz

1ER

Dude, lmfao, thats some funny stuff. I know of a few places like what you are talking about. One place in particular where I would describe it as sheer chaos...........Devils Lake in the spring.......Unbelievable.

OMG dude, I've been there. Came up to visit MN a few yrs ago and hopped in a truck with some family and headed up there. We fished Channel A for whitebass from about 4AM til about 8AM. By mid morning I had old' grannies casting over my shoulders. We had to pack it up and head to chase northerns and other species. I've vowed to never go there ever again unless I'm draggin the boat. I'd say "eff" it, if I'm goin to Devils Lake, I'm chasin eyes and "norderns".

1ER

haha, its amazing what white bass can do to people. with there crazy feeding habbits its addicting.

yea, fishing the croix is fun. trolling around finds fish the fastest, and when you do its game on. and try to stay away from deep water, i dont think i've caught any whitebass over 60 foot of water. and yea, fast running water seems to be the key, in other words, neckdown areas.

and yea, fast running water seems to be the key, in other words, neckdown areas.

NICE! See now that's the good stuff I look for in these forums. Don't need nobody's secret spot, but info like "fast running water... and neckdown areas" is priceless. Thanks fish_4_fun!

Yup, Channel A was where it was at. A great place for the White Bass. I just watched from the bridge as folks hammered the living snot out of 2 to 3 lb silvers. I dont think you could have fit another fisherman in down there anywhere...

you guys who are into white bass you have to hit the sippi i know the croix can be great but It dosnt even come close to the wing dams and they are so easy to locate that way.

Last year they were running around the 1st of may, and a local had told me that was about a week or 2 later than normal. Am I to assume they will be early this year? I better get a move on and get my boat fixed! eek When they're at the height of their run, that is some of the funnest fishing you'll ever experience!

hello bass whacker! care to send me an email on where to find them by the wing dams?

step 1: travel up river

step 2: hit large wingdam with prop, breaking lower unit

step 3: get out and fish, catch white bass

smile

step 1: travel up river

step 2: hit large wingdam with prop, breaking lower unit

step 3: get out and fish, catch white bass

smile

I've seen that one work before... May just be my plan this year.

they pretty much nailed it on the head find a wing dam and fish i've never found any that always produce better than others you just have to keep moveing untill you find them

• 13 years later...
On 3/29/2010 at 1:16 PM, 1eyeReD said:

NICE! See now that's the good stuff I look for in these forums. Don't need nobody's secret spot, but info like "fast running water... and neckdown areas" is priceless. Thanks fish_4_fun!

When the Croy is clear and fast And those whities will make you think they're Browns,