• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report

After nearly 20 years of spending this weekend (my birthday) at Lake of the Woods, we decided it was time for something different and we picked Woody’s. The resort complex has a very cozy feel to the whole thing. It almost seemed like we had our own little town. Our accommodations were large and well laid out although 1 bathroom for 7 guys was challenging in the morning. Woody’s Pub is a great place for all the fishermen to gather and share their fishing reports. Our hosts were friendly and accommodating from first light to last. Woody has a very extensive network of fishing contacts and seems to have current information for a large area including the entire VNP and well into Canada.

We all fished the American Narrows area Friday with limited success. We talked to a local fellow that had been doing very well in the area until just a day earlier, imagine that. Rainy had plenty of ice and the water was draining. Saturday we split up with the grandpas staying on Sand Bay and 5 of us headed to Canada. Sand Bay was slow with a few walleyes and sauger caught. They did have a very large pike cruise just below the ice. My father-in-law could see the head and my dad saw the mid section at the same time. They estimate she went well over 20 pounds. We tried Off Lake for a short time with only a single hammer handle pike. We drilled several holes and scanned a large area with the side finding electronics and never found crappies. After an hour we headed north to Nestor Falls. I had a bad feeling when we got to Cyclone Point and there was not a soul in sight. Both lakes in Canada were high & dry with no water or slush on the ice. We tried some old honey holes in Sabaskong Bay and wound up with a large whitefish, several perch and a 26” walleye. We also shared our spot with 4 bald eagles that got all of our perch before the day was over.

The fishing was slower than I expected but it’s not the first time for that. The weather was great and we met some very nice people. A young couple got engaged Saturday while fishing on Ash River and she was on cloud 9 when they came back. They caught a mess of fish but that was not the first thing they talked about. It’s good to see Big T made it back home in one piece. Overall a good trip and we will be back in the future.

Thanks for the Kind words Magnum Mike and Big T... we had great groups this weekend spanning from the Range to Illinois. Good times were had. Some big fish were caught. A marriage proposal was made and accepted.(Congrats Mary and Jason!!!) What a diverse and fun bunch we had this weekend!

This morning I brought customers out, the ice had popped and it was high and dry. We have a lot of great ice fishing ahead of us.

Thanks everyone,

Woody

JasonMary.jpg

ted.jpg

guys312.jpg