• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dr Depth

reddog

Question

I just made my first map with Dr Depth with data that I collected last year. I was up against the ice line on the reservior at the top of the picture, thats why it ends so abruptly. Kinda adds a whole new perspective to your fishing spots.

Dr%20Depth.jpg

Here is the map configured with the bottom hardness scale.

hardness.jpg

Obviously, you can load the contour map onto an SD card for use in your Lowrance or Humminbird gps units for a custom map of your special spot.

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• LMITOUT

• reddog

• JimBuck

• solbes

Top Posters For This Question

Great maps! How often do they update the software? Are updates free? I've been super curious about this technology.

Im sorry, I cant answer that. Im a new user of a program I bought last year. Im just now getting around to playing with it.

I've been doing some student research using this product this past year. It is extremely easy to use once you get the hang of it. I mapped out a small lake ~50 acres in size with about 3 hours of data collection which was extreme overkill and cranked out a map on the program within 10 minutes. I'll be getting it once I get a GPS/Sonar combo unit. I'm working on a write up now that is intended to inform students how to use the program so when I complete that I can send it to you if you want. What you need is a GPS/Sonar combo unit or a sonar that is NMEA compatible. I used an older lowrance lcx-15MT. You tell the sonar unit to log data to a blank SD card, then convert the files with the program and create the map. The program is easier to use with lowrance products based on my observations, but can be used with humminbird with a few extra steps.

Forgot to add, my only complaint is that milfoil or other thick weedcover gives a false bottom reading so actual bottom measurement is more accurate with no weed growth. This of course depends on the sonar unit not the program itself. You can edit the data points if you wish, but there are many and as far as I've found they must be changed individually.

Thanks for the info. bowhunter. I'd like to use it mainly for rivers and small lakes that aren't covered on my Lakemaster chip (running on a 522i). How does it handle submerged trees and rocks in the water? Did you also purchase the additional BT package for bottom hardness? Is this worth the extra cash? Let me know when you finish writing up about the program. I would love to read what you have to say about it.

How has the process been for recording and getting information to a map?

Collecting the data is the most time consuming.

I used a 520c for my data collecting.

The area I mapped is approx 1000 yds square and it took about an hour and a half, I would guess.

Here are my tracks for that above map:

Your map is only going to be as good as the input data.

I did purchase the BT version (hardness) as I could see a definite use for it in the future. Transition from hard to soft is a very important factor when looking for fish.

dd.jpg

Another thing about gathering data, is reviewing the sonar logs on the computer. You can replay the whole file on the Sonar Viewer. Here is a snapshot of the sonar viewer in action.

slg.jpg

I used this software for the first time last year and had a lot of fun making maps of different areas. The time put into making the maps came to fruition this winter when I loaded the topo maps into my H2O that I had mapped this summer and used it to find structure to punch holes for ice fishing.

Lakemaster and Navionics don't have the high definition maps of the lakes I fish, so I decided to make them myself! The only maps of the lakes around here that they have on their chips are the maps you can find on the DNR website, and we all know they aren't very accurate at all. A good reference, yes, accurate, no. My main intention going into this project was to map areas that have structure and not the entire lake, as the basin areas are really pretty vanilla for the most part.

Developing the depth contour maps is great, but the ability to turn it into a 3-D representation of the bottom is really eye opening and you get to "see" what is really going on beneath the boat. I hope to do more mapping this year to fill in more areas of the lakes that I'm interested in and keep adding to my map library.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences guys. The technology is pretty neat, especially when you can use your existing unit to record. A quick question I hope someone can clarify for me.

If I'm recording, can I go back to my sonar and run the recording process in the background? It'd be nice to just hit record and go about my day of fishing on the water, knowing that it is recording.

With the 520, you have to be in a sonar page. Then click menu once. The bottom item is "Log Sonar Chart Data" Select that and select "start logging" You can then continue going about your business. Dont know if you can switch pages or not in the mean time.

I also dont know about running a Navionics or Lakemaster at the same time,but Im making an assumption that you should be able to.

\

Reddog,

Can you upload the maps you create into the Humminbird or only lowrance units.

I checked their site but is sounded like it was only lorance units that you could upload the maps to.

This is the first I've heard about this product. I did the google and ended up at some site in Australia. I have a HDS 5 and so I presume this will work with my rig but the link says something about being sure NEMA works. I have to admit that I don't know what that means. The rig is in storage so I will have to wait a few months to check things out. It looks to me as if it is very much like the new product that Lowrance is touting but without the $600+ price tag. Since I fish the same water all the time I can see that I would most likely only use it once. I wonder if in the near future it would be possible to just buy a chip with this level of detail for a particular lake. Any idea about that option?

Jimbuck - The bottom hardness feature is cool, but has its quirks. It is relative bottom hardness, so you need to give it a reference. What I've done is just set the sensitivity to a level that shows the most change (this is done on the computer when done getting data). Like reddogs first post, the map shows changes but you don't know what the bottom actually is without taking some reference samples. It would be useful to know transition areas, but you cannot show this information on the sonar unit as far as I know. The program will give you GPS coordinates though. I guess if it were me I wouldn't get it, but I primarily fish muskies. I could see it being useful to walleye and especially perch guys for winter use.

You can also go to any screen you want with most units once it is logging data. I switched over to split screen so I could see my tracks. I didn't try running navionics or lakemaster so I don't know. The unit I was using was too old to run my Navionics chip.

Eyebjim - You can use both Lowrance and Humminbird products, but humminbird is a little more work. I believe the contour lines are displayed as trails instead of a background map but could be wrong.

Tom - Someone with the program could make a map for you. You would need to log your own data and send the SD card to them. It's not like structurescan or side imaging which is what I think you are referencing with the $600 price. This software is used to create contour maps, relative bottom hardness maps, and 3d maps. It will not tell you if there are logs below or anything like that. All it does is translate the depth readings and GPS position to create a map.

Yea, What bowhunter said! grin

I dont think you would even have to send the actual sd card for someone to make a map, just email the slg files form your recording, and they could convert it to a map.

Maybe Doc will chime in here and fill in some of the blanks, but I think you can build a map using the BT function only that will display in your electronics. Not positive though, There are new things added to the software almost weekly.

Reddog,

Can you upload the maps you create into the Humminbird or only lowrance units.

I checked their site but is sounded like it was only lorance units that you could upload the maps to.

You can build maps to be used in Humminbird or Lowrance units.

Copied directly from Dr Depth website to answer another question:

"With the BT version you can also generate hardness map data and include this on your lcm map."

Yes, your recording is no different than turning your track logging and sonar logging on. After a day of fishing etc. you can download the sonar logs. However, your mapping is only going to be accurate if you 'patterned' the area sufficiently.

Any idea if the Eagle 642c can record the data for use here? I don't think so, drat. I have been wanting to be able to do this on my small lake for some time, but don't have the proper locator to record I don't think.

Box - I downloaded the manual for your model and it shows that it will log sonar data. Press the MENU key and then scroll down to the bottom of the list to LOG SONAR CHART DATA. A pop-up will appear where you will select where you want to save the data (SD Card) and select "start logging". You'll then see a little red, round light blinking in the corner of your screen which indicates that it is recording. At this point you start criss-crossing the area you wish to map and then when finished go back into the LOG SONAR CHART DATA option and then hit stop. When you are finished there will be a .slg file on the SD card that you would import into Dr. Depth for further manipulation and eventually a depth contour map.

You can also take the maps created by this software and overlay it in Google Earth if you wish. The other thing you can do with Google Earth is outline the lake shoreline and import that into Dr. Depth so you can see how the contours relate to the shoreline, instead of having contours floating on the page with no reference points.

Wow, thanks guys! I didn't think mine could do it, but now that I know it can, I am buying DrDepth and making a kick--- map of my small lake smile I just haven't spent enough time looking into the potential of this off the shelf and relatively easy mapping stuff smile but I will now! Thanks!!!!

I bought it just a few weeks ago. I knew I was going to buy it last fall, but had to wait until I got the HDS7 installed in October. Anyway, in one weekend before freeze up in '09, I took about an hours worth of sonar logs. Very easy to do with the HDS.

Downloaded the program, paid my dues, and walla. Incredibly cool 3-D rendering of two underwater humps I've been trying to understand a lot better. I also trolled back and forth and then zig zagged the shoreline that I catch most of the 'eyes on and learned some things about that too!

It'll take some time to map out our basin, should take I'm guessing 8-10 hrs of speed trolling, but it should be well worth it. It sounds like a pretty straight forward process to upload that info onto the HDS as contours.

Quick question for you guys with it...

Can you record a bunch of it, and then look at what you have, and then decide if you want it more accurate and then go and record more and ADD TO WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE, or do you have to do a totally new recording run? I.e. can you add more data to data you already have recorded?

THanks.

That's one of the best features of it. Very simple to add more data to what you already have. I took my logs in two separate files just to see how easy it was.

BTW, there is a free demo that you can download if you haven't already. It is THE software, but some of the features are not unlocked until you buy it.

Yeah, you can calibrate and tweek new data to fit better (like if a river changed levels between recordings.)

Do you guys that use the software have any success mapping submerged cover (i.e. trees, stumps, rock piles, wrecks) etc. ? If so, is it necessary to have the BType package? Sorry for the questions but I'm pretty curious and have been wanting a solution like this.

It is not good for mapping micro structure. All the little stuff is averaged out by errors from the gps and the fact you're using cone readings. Side scan sonar is the way to go for stumps and stuff.

What you do is log your sonar data via a locater equipped with GPS. This creates a .slg file that contains primarily position and depth, along with other data. If there is an object under the water large enough that causes the depth to change, then it will record it, but it's not like Structure Scan or Side Imaging.

I don't have the bottom hardness version of the software.

What I like to do is map an area and then compile the data when I get home to see what it looks like. I'll then go back out another day and start a new .slg file and either add to that spot I previously mapped or just move to another interesting area and map that out. After you obtain a few files you can create a database of the converted .slg files and then load all them at once into Dr. Depth to make a complete map. Or, you can pick and choose the ones you want or don't want via the database function. It helps keep everything tidy.

I make passes about 100 ft apart, as shown in reddog's post above, weaving back and forth over the desired area. You can make wider swaths but then the software will have to interpolate the data inbetween and you could miss small humps or depressions if you're too far apart in your weaves. The closer paths you make the more accurate your map will be. If it's a very intricate structure you'll probably want to spend more time on it, making closer weaves to get all the nooks and crannies of the structure.

Its very easy to get to the point I am. I havent built an actual lcm. map that i can put on an SD card, but I dont thinks its very hard to do either.