• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final five 2010

cbrooks

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• PierBridge

• &JAG

Been here all season Pierre, just on the quiet side. Sometimes better to keep quiet and come across as a fool than to open one's mouth and erase all doubt. grin

Nice!...I choose the latter most often grin ... and its Pier not Pierre I'm not French at all K?.. smile

Pierre, the French are A**holes, lets go to Vail.

I think the setup will be pretty sweet. I like the Wild game being before the Gopher VS whoever in the Championship game. The Wild game can be both good and bad for other teams though. Gives fans from another city a chance to watch the Wild game, but could also have alot of the wild season ticket holders going to the college game taking away from the outstate fans. But honestly there werent that many out of state fans there this past weekend. I didnt see very many college students there at all, and most of the Sioux fans were alumni living in the cities. I think the wild game will be pretty cool.

As far as Bemidji and Omaha, I dont see either team increasing the attendance. They need the Gophers there to do that. Thursday night had the highest attendance.

Bemidji would pack the place. Would be great if the a--hole ND bozo's could not find a seat.

As a Sioux fan, I just got called an a--hole ND bozo. cool Oh no...not that. Another successful day on the interweb. grin

Bemidji would pack the place. Would be great if the a--hole ND bozo's could not find a seat.

that one hurt grin

That cant even be a put down any more for you guys brooks. Sit down so the old Gopher fans can see. I wont knock the sioux fans on that. they are obnoxious and usually out of their minds set when it comes to hockey basics. but at least they cheer.

Do the beaver hockey games get packed now? when i was there 5 years ago they didnt have huge fan support, deffinitley not enough to travel and make an impact.

No . . . Bemidji wouldn't pack the place. About 100 fans traveled to Duluth and about 200 went to Grand Forks this year. Maybe 400-500 would travel to the X. Being in the CHA for so long, I think many BSU don't even think of traveling for road games. That will change with the WCHA.

They did pack the Glas this year (seats about 2,000) and I think the BREC will eventually sell a good majority of their seats (4,000). The economy in the region isn't exactly like a majority of MN suburban areas'.

Bemidji fans wouldn't pack the place. There arent enough alum compared to all of the bigger schools.

UND - 13,000 students

Minnesota - 51,000 students

Wisconsin - 42,000 students

MN - Duluth - 9,000 students

St. Cloud - 20,000 students

Bemidji State - 6,500 students

The population of the entire city of Bemidji (about 13,000) is significantly smaller than the student enrollment of some other schools so it would be a stretch to say that BSE would increase attendance. You would get some new people there but not more. There isn't a base of fans that even consider traveling to games since the games have been traditionally been so far away. But I have been to enough BSU games at UND to know that they do have a presence in the building and it isn't only 200 fans.

It would be nice if Bemidji could build a loyal fan base. It seems that there is just so much hunting and fishing up there and hockey is a distant 4th or 5th thing to do. I hope the rink helps.

Heres the plan,

Muskie trip to Bemidji, opening series, 10-16 or so, then watch a game at the new rink. What do you think Brooks, do you want me to put you on a 50?

I'm thinking a mid Winter trip to Beaver land and and maybe a Cass Lake Spearing adventure...you two in? grin

So 4,000 capacity for the New Arena that sounds about right and should make for a good environment. I was hoping they weren't going to go to big on that! Did they get any additional rink's out of the deal?

I have heard it is really cool, right up near the lake, and of coarse, full bar!!

Pier, Ill bring my harpoon, Cass has the big Pike, thats foresure.

I have heard it is really cool, right up near the lake, and of coarse, full bar!!

Pier, Ill bring my harpoon, Cass has the big Pike, thats foresure.

It's a nice location on the south east shore of Lake Bemidji. It will be sweet in October and Nov, but that good 'ol NW wind blowing 10-20 across the lake come Dec-March will let you know you're alive. Oh well, it will give Mpls people something to complain about laugh and the folks in Grand Forks will say, "what wind?". smile

There's no other rink built on. Hopefully down the road - even though they are millions under budget. They are also using individual plastic seats (no padding) which is too bad (but will be so much better than the bench seats at the old rink). Other than that, it will be very nice. The Bemidji region has 25,000 people to draw from, so 4,000 seats (including suites) will be plenty. Full bar/mixed drinks is only for certain seating/donation levels. Otherwise it's beer only.

Yes, BSU doesn't have the alumni that other WCHA schools have - that and I think the fact that fans aren't used to traveling too much - or used to going to tournaments (yet), and throw in the lower wages around the area, hunting/fishing, and you wouldn't have too big of traveling fan base. I've gone to many, many UND games, and I don't believe I've seen that many BSU fans over a few hundred. Compare that to say SCSU or Duluth - which are in the high hundreds.

BSU's fan base will grow - through the program's successes and being in the WCHA will also increase their exposure.

Muskie trip to Bemidji, opening series, 10-16 or so, then watch a game at the new rink. What do you think Brooks, do you want me to put you on a 50?

He11 yeah I'm in.

I'm thinking a mid Winter trip to Beaver land and and maybe a Cass Lake Spearing adventure...you two in? grin

Pier I've never sat in a spearhouse but I always wanted to.

Ok, we will have to plan it this fall, I will bring the Fishhawk up. We will see if we let BRmuskie join us. That might be too much Sioux for me.

Spearhouses, though frowned upon in the muskie world are actually cool to sit in on a clear lake.

I would like to briefly speak on the Bemidji topic since its cool it came up. Cant comment on the new center or the fact that Bemidji fans would travel, but travelling WILL INCREASE with new rivalries within the WCHA.

Playing teams out in New York, Alabama, and elsewhere does not make for an easy weekend of traveling for a college student. HOWEVER travelling to Duluth, North Dakota, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Mankato is much more manageable. Other than the NoDak home and homes, other WCHA fans didn't travel too well up to Bemidji either. (Duluth, Mankato)

Being from the Kato area originally, I travelled down for the BSU and Kato games when Bemidji played in Mankato. I would estimate about 250 fans were there back then. (2005 or 06?)

The Glas was full a lot this year according to my brother and sister who attend there still. The Bulldogs game was sold out in no time! I think next year should be great for Bemidji with all the new WCHA teams that haven't been there much! The place WILL be packed for the opening weekend with North Dakota and the last weekend with Minnesota! I would imagine the St. Cloud, Dakota, Duluth, and Minnesota series will be sell outs for quite a while. Mankato doesn't draw quite as well, but Wisconsin and Denver should also be fun to see come in! Hopefully a rivalry is built with Neb-Omaha being the other "new" school.

I think it'll be a tough ticket the first year for any of the big games! I REALLY want to get up there next year to take in the new arena! Had Bemidji played in the X this weekend I think there would have been a nice fan base there... There were decent numbers when BSU played the Gophers in Minneapolis earlier this year, and when they played in Michigan for the NCAA tourney last year, a fair Bemidji crowd made the trip.

If BSU is competitive, the fans will come out! Believe it or not but a lot of the Bemidji students DONT go fishing or hunting very much! Besides, on a friday or saturday night there isn't much better than going to a party before the game and heading to the arena to watch the hockey game before partying the rest of the night!

Ok, we will have to plan it this fall, I will bring the Fishhawk up. We will see if we let BRmuskie join us. That might be too much Sioux for me.

Spearhouses, though frowned upon in the muskie world are actually cool to sit in on a clear lake.

You won't need the fishhawk I keep my boat at my bros place in Bemidji. I know BSU plays UND for there first game next year there. That might be a tough ticket to get. I might be able to get a few tickets.

Cbrooks and Scsavre - my house is about 4 miles from the new rink. If I don't have a house full of old college friends up for the weekend - I think we could work something out to get out fishing. My loyalties will be tested that weekend for sure. I am a lifelong Sioux fan - BUT being a BSU alum and living in Bemidji I will be cheering for Bemidji that weekend. Win or lose, that will be a fun weekend to be in Bemidji.

My loyalties will be tested that weekend for sure. I am a lifelong Sioux fan - BUT being a BSU alum and living in Bemidji I will be cheering for Bemidji that weekend. Win or lose, that will be a fun weekend to be in Bemidji.

I'm in the same ballpark. Grew up a Sioux fan (went to many games from 1980's - 1995, then moved to Mpls where you don't get to see too many Sioux games (about four a year) and then moved to Bemidji a few years ago. I'm 51% for UND and 49% BSU, but I'll be cheering for BSU on Oct 15 (we'll see for the 16th). It's a win-win either way!

I was kidding about the spearing on Cass of course, doubtful it will be legal anyway. Plus knowing my luck I'd fall in that big hole and would't be-able get out. smile

Go WCHA!

knowing my luck I'd fall in that big hole and would't be-able get out.

You can get a 5 minute major, or even a game misconduct, for drowning. winkwink

Im still going to bring my harpoon, you never know when you need one of those.

An ice fishing trip would be a good one too.

Go Beavers, I think you can turn your back on the Sioux for one weekend.

Im still going to bring my harpoon, you never know when you need one of those.

haha I got an idea Scott I'll bring a head dress and you can be the UND mascott...I'm kiding I'm only kiding LOL.

Brooks - what's the scoop on the sioux name now anyways - is Standing Rock going to vote on it?

Thought I saw something in the news a few days ago that the Resevations can vote on whether the name stays or goes. It seems to change every couple of months ,the name is staying , no now its offensive. I wish the thing was resolved. The name isn't a big issue to most of the people IMO.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. Besides, FlickerTails strikes fear into even the most battle hardened opponent wink

So if UND becomes the flicketails, can they still call the Gophers rodents?

So if UND becomes the flicketails, can they still call the Gophers rodents?

Ha, people are still calling them the Rodents anyway!

Well, i guess you could still call us the rodents, however it would have to be dirty rodents vs rodents. As the Flickertails, being squirrels are still plenty dirty, like the Sioux team.