• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final five 2010

cbrooks

Here's the match ups.

10-Michigan tech @ 1-Denver

9-Anchorage @ 2-Wisconsin

8-MSU @ 3-SCSU

7-rodents @ 4-Fighting Sioux

6-CC @ 5-UMD

I got Denver, Wisconsin, UND, UMD and Mankato for my upset.

Were's all the Maverick fans. Let the trash talking begin.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• scsavre

• PierBridge

• &JAG

Brooks, 6:45 am and posting on here. Get back to bed, you are not thinking clearly.

Stinking Sioux. Wish they woulda matched up at the X, but hey atleast now a get more than a 1 game series with them.

Denver

Wisconsin

SCSU

Gophs

UMD

I know I didnt get very creative here. ONly Upset is Gophs over Sioux. I dont know if it will happen. Gophs are playing pretty good hockey right now. The only problem is the the Sioux about the only team that has improved more than the Gophs. I Think Gophs beat the Flickertails in game 1 and 3. At least this might make these teams try a little more. I wish I had more confidence, Id make a bet with ya Brooks.

MSU, is usually my Dark horse, but if SCSU has all their players they should be good to go. I am hoping they have MSU figured out after this past weekend.

the huskies will be fine. captain raboin will be back friday and marv will be back saturday. i don't see mankato coming into nhc and winning two of three.

Denver

Wisconsin

MSU

UND

UMD

Then the Mavs will beat UMD in the play in game.

That would something to have the Mavericks go that far. I don't think they ever played that far in the season before but I could be wrong. Anyhow I hope your right. Its nice to have some other fans putting there two cents in besides these darn Gopher fans and Solbes.

Its on Scott. I have to say talk is cheap but it should be a fun week going into this game. UND didn't look there best last night IMO (they won 3-2 over MTU). I think Matt Frattin hit the post twice. One of UNDs defense men is injured Jake Marto witch will hurt a little. I got a feeling that Chay Genoway will be back soon I hope. I just have a tough time knowing that one of the two hockey programs won't be in the Final Five. Minnesota makes me a little nervous because of what they did to us or should I say what Kangas did to us. This is where a goalie gets hot and carries the team to a championship, hopefully it will be Eideness.

That would something to have the Mavericks go that far. I don't think they ever played that far in the season before but I could be wrong.

Mavs have made the NCAA tourney once since going D1, not sure what year it was though.

Gophers should have swept Denver and Wisconsin back to back, but they fell just short. They are playing good right now, but playing at UND will be tough.

I thought I would update the pairwise since its Monday.

1.Denver

2.Miami

3.Wisconsin

4.Boston College

5.UND

6.Bemidji st

7.SCSU

8.Alaska Fairbanks

9.Yale

10.New Hamsphire

11.Cornell

12.Michigan st

13.Ferris st

14.northern michigan

15.UMD

16.Nebraska-omaha

17.Vermont

18.Umass-lowell

19.Umass

20.Maine

21.CC

22.Union

23.Gophers

24.Boston University

25.Michigan

Woo hoo bring on the Sioux! I wonder if the Gophers will show up this weekend, you just never can tell these days. Anyway I still have very little hopes of making the NCAA's but It should would be nice to knock the Sioux out early, maybe remove the bitter taste in my mouth that has been with me on this Gopher slide the past 3 years.

Should be fun this weekend. I am going to pick the Gophs against great odds, just because I am thinking that somewhere in these kids they are the gophers and can pull it off. Gophs have never won a playoff game of any sort at the Ralph either.

Gophs looked good on Sunday and maybe 5 of their last 6 games. They finally have their seniors scoring, and their defense looks about ready to contribute.

I have been so mad at the Gophs this year that I almost dont want them to win, but the Sioux are going to the NCAA tourny either way so I am not too worried.

Honestly how can the Sioux be power ranked 5th? Are there just not many teams with good records? Here is their performance against ranked teams. They have only beat 4 ranked teams for 7 wins.

SCSU beat once, lost once

UMD beat 3 times, lost once

CC beat twice,

Cornel, beat 1 lost 1

Gophs have beat 6 ranked teams, and 8 wins.

I guess I dont see that many good records out there.

With WCHA's luck it will be wis and Nodak both in the Xcel for the regionals. Seems like the league still isnt happy about the all WCHA frozen 4. But that is for another day.

I hate to say it but the only series that has me wondering who should win is the Sioux vs. the cake eaters. The gophers have been paying pretty well lately it appears and the Sioux didn't sound all that impressive in their wins over mighty MTU.

It should be;

DU

UW

SCSU

UND

UMD

This is my favorite time of year - playoff hockey.

This year it is a real possibility of seeing an all WCHA Frozen Four again. Miami, Boston College, and Bemidji State are the only ones outside the WCHA that should have a shot but I guess that is why they play the games.

All WCHA Frozen 4? No chance.

No upsets here folks all the higher seeds advance easily.

NCAA won't let it happen, I agree. 2005 I think was the year it was an all WCHA frozen 4. Ever since you can see it in the regional pairings, there are always at least 1 if not 2 regionals that are devoid of WCHA presence.

I'm gonna go against Pier though, I don't see all of the top seeds advancing easily in the NCAA's. Remember last year? It was like having a #1 seed painted a huge red circle on your back. Down went Michigan, Notre Dame, and Denver, all #1 seeds. That was crazy! Even as good as Miami and Denver are, I don't think they are immune to a slip up.

Back to the WCHA, the UM UND series will be a lot of fun to watch. Good luck to the Gophers, they're going to need it in that hostile arena. It is too bad that only one of them is going the the F5, though I can guess which team deserves to go. Having both schools at the tourney makes it a lot livelier atmosphere.

Honestly how can the Sioux be power ranked 5th? Are there just not many teams with good records? Here is their performance against ranked teams. They have only beat 4 ranked teams for 7 wins.

qoute by scsavre

I agree, there power ranking is high. The only way I can figure is there out of coference record. In the beginning of the year they swept Merrick beat, Ohio st and tied Miami Oh. That is the best answer I can come up with. I think there record out of coference is 5-1-2.

I'm not suggesting any NCAA conspiracy theory on why we won't have 4 teams in the Frozen Four and frankly other than one year the NCAA hasn't done anything to fudge the brackets. I was just basing my opinion on how the conference has fared overall on the ice over the last 3 years. Which has been dismal to say the least. There is just way to much parity for me to believe we can get all four teams in this year.

I'm not suggesting any NCAA conspiracy theory

As a Sioux fan . . . would you like the link to the black helicopter and tin-foil hat page for the WCHA Final Five regarding refereeing, Gophers must be at the X at all costs (i.e. Mankato/Gophers two years ago) and other conspiracies? wink

Can you refresh my memory on the Gopher/Mavs two years ago? May as well hear your refereeing theory also both of which have nothing to do with the NCAA and are WCHA issues or alleged issues.

I'll hang up and listen... smile

I do agree the league wants the gophers at the frozen 5. It is a money maker. I can tell you right now the Gophers are not going to go into the Ralph and get a bunch of calls this weekend. Honestly the Gophs have been on the recieving end of the shaft the last 2 seasons. The league might just be sick of them.

However this has nothing to do with the NCAA tourny. Ever since the all WCHA frozen 4 the seeding and pairing rules have been changed.

Speaking of Mankato, they do seem to never get the tie breaker or close decision. Didnt they get left out for Wisc 2 years. Mankato had 19 wins and Wis had 16. The gophs had the same record as mankato but had beat them like 5 times that year.

Can you refresh my memory on the Gopher/Mavs two years ago? May as well hear your refereeing theory also both of which have nothing to do with the NCAA and are WCHA issues or alleged issues.

I'll hang up and listen... smile

Weren't there a few non-called CFB on MN along with quite a few non-called trips, Gophers pushing MSU players into the nets for a whistle and Shepp putting his whistle in his pocket?

Regardless, PB, I'm sorry for trying to have fun on a fishing forum. Let's get back to your refreshing view on how Warroad recruiting their way to win the JV tourney . . . crazy

I just want to add to Warroad recuiting. Pierbridge is right Warroad does recruit there players. I think thats how Oshie got there. Its actually a well known fact that they get players from all over.

I would imagine they "warroad" are a magnet for good players looking to play on an elite team and the program like private schools with good coaches and results sells itself.

Why not play with the best in the state regardless of the enrollment numbers I ask?

Go Roseau!

Didnt they get left out for Wisc 2 years. Mankato had 19 wins and Wis had 16.

Ya what [PoorWordUsage], I am still mad about that.

I always like Warroad despute the fact they recruit players and the way they do it is something in itself. I like the tradition of Henry Boucha, Marvin family, Christain family and so on. When you drive through that town you don't see any franchises its all local, Marvin. You get the feeling there's alot pride and it shows with there hockey team. They do what it takes to win and thats why I always root for the Warriors.

Hey Pier, I don't want you jumping on the Gopher band wagon if they pull a upset this weekend. I saw that you don't give them a chance in hell of winning. Go Sioux!

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
smile

Weren't there a few non-called CFB on MN along with quite a few non-called trips, Gophers pushing MSU players into the nets for a whistle and Shepp putting his whistle in his pocket?

Guess the CFB and other incidents are not ringing a bell thats why I asked. I thought you were maybe referring to MSU getting snubbed for the NCAA tourney. As a Gopher fan we're used to being blamed for a lot things out of our control. LOL!

Shep or any WCHA official putting their whistle away is nothing new or inclusive to the Gopher program IMO... smile

Good Luck in the JV tourney with your Nova Scotia french Canadian recruits... grin

I just want to add to Warroad recuiting. Pierbridge is right Warroad does recruit there players. I think thats how Oshie got there. Its actually a well known fact that they get players from all over.

Yes Oshie was recruited by North Dakota! He was living in Washington and the closest rink was 1 hr away so he only played 2x a week and other days played roller hockey. His dad has families that live in Warroad so the summer before his sophomore year, Oshie and family were in Warroad for vacation....he got to skate a lot more at the Gardens and he wasn't a great skater but had the hands and shooting skill. So he and his dad moved there and started his HS career at Warroad, he improved as the season went on and ended up being one of the best players in MN!

This is getting good, and i havent even ticked any one off.

Hey Brooks, just so you know. You are NOT invited to watch the game at my house this weekend. Apparently I have about 5 Sioux fans coming over. B/S out numbered in my own house. Atleast I have a gopher shirt I can put on my daughter, and my dog doesnt seem to mind if the Gophs suck.

Go gophers, and Ill give a cheer for mankato, they have gotten the shaft a quite few times. I bet they wouldnt make the tourny if they had 20 wins and were hosting it. Oh wait I think that may have happened. I they they were the hosts of one of the Xcel regions.

Oshie is a interesting story. I remember his dad(coach Oshie) would be all over town after the games. He was quit the character. TJ is a heck of a player and one of the most exciting. Thanks quack for posting on how Oshie got to Warroad.

Scott I hope to be at the games. I'm surprise you even have five friends nontheless five with good taste HaHaHa JK. I wish I was a little more computer savy, I wanted to put up the Holy Cross beating Minnesota(from u tube) at the Ralph. I'm just looking for away to get PB fired up.

I wish I was a little more computer savy, I wanted to put up the Holy Cross beating Minnesota(from u tube) at the Ralph. I'm just looking for away to get PB fired up.

Holy Cross ends Gopher's season

Chris Porter ends the Gopher's season

I'm sure someone will post the Wheeler goal . . but the next week, the Gopher's season was over.

The wheeler goal is played out. I will dig something up if the gophs give me something to cheer about. I am going to play the Holly Cross video in the background of the next Don Lucia show, while holding my "fire Don sign". Man im sick of him.

Id be careful, PB lives dangerously.

These stinking Sioux fans are invading my house. At least they like to drink though. Usually passed out by the 3rd period, just like the typical Sioux fan at the Frozen 5.

Go Gophers.