• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
little-red-lund

What fish species is most important in Mille Lacs poll?

little-red-lund

just a friendly unscientific poll: what is the most important fish species in Mille Lacs and what species should the DNR manage for...

I think the walleye is most important...but i think the DNR should manage more for panfish..especially crappies...

Harmonica Bear

I think they shouldn't stock a dang thing. It is, and has always been, a great natural re-producing lake.

fishuhalik

Right now, I'd say muskies. Walleyes get more attention/pressure, but the muskie fishing is probably in the top 10 fisheries in the world, if not better.

bobbymalone

I think they shouldn't stock a dang thing. It is, and has always been, a great natural re-producing lake.

Why F with mother nature?

Can't say I disagree, but I understand the idea of filling it up with walleyes to increase angler success rates on a lake that gets a ton of pressure. A lot of folks come from across the country to fish there, buying licenses, bait, contributing to local economies, etc.

what the heck everything turned green on me!

I wouldn't want to make a pick on what species is most important. It has been noted that in many ecosystems it is the diversity of species that contribute to the quality of said ecosystem. Maybe rinky-dink perch are the most important as they are a forage base for the monster walleyes, pike, and muskies everybody is after up there. One step further, maybe it's some minnow that feeds that perch that feeds that muskie?

DTro

"most important" has a different meaning to different people.

It's been shown the that Walleye is King Fin on ML so it should be given special attention.

Money talks wink

waterbound

Eelpout? They are the tastiest...

Really I would say walleyes, they've been there forever and there's tons of them. I like that Mille Lacs is a great musky fishery but I think walleyes are definitely a better fit for the lake's ecosystem and the people that fish it.

Harmonica Bear

It's Walleyes that keep the resorts afloat, barely....

Fredd

Walleyes IMO. The muskies are great, but more people out there after the eyes and much more to the local economy as well.

deadeye

Walleyes=Mille Lacs

I have been up there a dozen times and still not caught one but that is what I think of when I hear about Mille Lacs.

It is interesting that it receives so much pressure and still goes by just natural reproduction. That says a lot for what kind of lake it is.

gregg52

use to be said to the best reproducing walleye lake in the

not sure if that still holds true or not

i think whats hard on it is all the different regulations

Netman

Lakes with good natural reproduction and good numbers like you see in Mile Lacs will never get stocked by the DNR. It's a waste of resources. Nothing is better at putting fry in a lake than some prime size females. That's why they're protected (read managed for). It's a whole lot cheaper and a lot more affective than stocking.

BTW - Economically speaking the walleye is by far the most important fish in the lake so that's where the majority of the management dollars will go even though the fish doesn't need any help populating the lake; it just needs protection.

DoubleLunger

Quit netting the darn lake and all will be WELL!! Oh ya; WALLEYES ARE KING

fishorgolf

Walleyes without question. It is a natural walleye lake. Muskies are IMO and evasive species. I will always throw back 40 plus northerns (see my post in the red lake forum) but any legal muskie is going to be pickled.

Let me re-qualify that and legal muskie that comes from a non natural muskie lake.

croixflats

Quote:
I will always throw back 40 plus northerns (see my post in the red lake forum) but any legal muskie is going to be pickled.

laugh

For a natural reproducing lake and how large it is, IMO, it would take a heck a lot of supply of stock to even make a dent in the population. The amount of predators in the lake would be hard to over come.

fishorgolf

A 48" musky sure makes allot of jars of pickled musky. Christmas presents for everyone! smile

leech~~

Eelpout & Tullibe no one else wants them! frown

fishorgolf

Eelpout are so down they should be protected. As for Tullibees....it's a sad state of affairs when we need to tout the tullibee action as a reason to fish a lake like Mille Lacs! I don't thing Tullibee is the first fish that comes to peoples minds when they think Mille Lacs.

TRZ II

For sure Tullibee, The bee is King in my book. But of course Walleye is The most important by far to the economics of the lake. Very little money is made off of Musky and Smallmouth compared to Walleye. If walleyes become secondary look for alot more resorts to close. Almost all(99%)of the winter money is made off walleyes and most of the summer money too. But i sure like fishing for Musky and Smallmouth, although they lack in eating quality....

Supercrew

A 48" musky sure makes allot of jars of pickled musky. Christmas presents for everyone! smile

Oh no you did'nt? If your in the gift giving state of mind, why not support your local grocery store or local meat market and keep the lake a gift that keeps on giving.

Aside from this disturbing Quote, cast my vote for trophy Smallmouth, nobody knew (other than the Real Fisherman) they were there till the Linders brought their TV cameras around and started a smallie frenzy...... Thanks Ron and Al, your the best?

fishorgolf

My place is 100 yard for

What is wrong with taking legal musky the same as taking a legial walleye! I came keep 4 walleye's under 18" for a total of at maybe 6 lbs. One 48" musky is 25-30 lbs. If I am going to pickle I like to work volume.

bucketmouth64

I wouldn't mind if they could do something about the crappie population. I've heard there are some nice slabs, but you don't hear about it either in winter or open water. You hear about jumbo perch being caught, but not crappies. Is there a sunfish, bluegill population?

TRZ II

What would you like them to do???? Built crappie cribs in Isle bay???? There is a small niche fishery of sunfish/crappie in Mille lacs but i don't know how you would like the DNR to manage them?

Supercrew

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

little-red-lund
What would you like them to do???? Built crappie cribs in Isle bay???? There is a small niche fishery of sunfish/crappie in Mille lacs but i don't know how you would like the DNR to manage them?
To be honest, I think that would be an excellent idea...put cribs in the bays areas and stock a bunch of crappie and sunfish fry in the lake...I don't see how the walleye popuation will be able to maintain it's historical levels with the way the lake is currently managed..with increased tribal netting quotas and increased pressure from anglers through the use of electronics and walleye fishing tournaments, etc...With more panfish in the lake...it would help augment the fishery as a whole...and probabaly bring less resentment towards tribal nettters given anglers another option to catch and harvest for a meal besides walleye and perch....perch used to be a good option...but it seems there are less and less qulaity sized perch in ML for what ever reason...

The Grebe

From what I've seen in the last few years, won't be long and it will be considered a smallmouth bass lake instead of a walleye lake. For every single walleye I caught, I bet I caught 10 smallies!

muskiedreams

haha to funny i had to check out this thread to see how long it took to bad mouth the evil muskie!!!!!!!!

ronnywalleye

It's a big lake don't see why we can't manage them all.

Especially the walleye thats what 90% of people are fishin.

fishorgolf

It is always fun bad mouthing the muskie smile

muskiedreams

whats funny to me is all the excuses people come up with because they are not able to catch a "walleye" netting,muskie,tullibee boom, 2much perch blah blah blah,,, if you cant catch walleyes on mille maybe ya should hang up your rod!!!!! just my opinion:):)

fishorgolf

What makes you think I am making excusing for not catching walleyes? Can you please show me were I have made this excuse? Ok I will be will make my non trolling opinion (seeing as I caught a perch) why I have my opinion on muskies in ML.

# 1 Muskies are not a native species in the lake. Have you ever wondered of ever cared why?

#2 is there really any good studies done on the effects of stocked muskies on non native waters. And please you muskies guys do not give show me studies on they eat suckers etc. as you know as well as I do these are studies done on traditional muskie waters not stockers non traditional waters. There are allot of these studies going on right now and they will not favor muskie stocking in non native waters. Thus the reason the muskie crowd if pushing for as many waters as they can before these studies are compleated.

# 3 throwing hardware all day attempting to catch a muskies is a great sport for the avid muskie angler but how does that relate to the average fisherman and his family that enjoys a day on the water?

I know now I am going to get some 500 word essay from the elected spokesperson for muskie inc or something. Hey I give you guys credit you put you money were your mouth is. I kind up put you guys up, there will wall street bankers. [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]