• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Lake Fishing Reports

Was up again for the weekend. There were quite a few pleasure boaters and the such. But we still managed to catch enough walleye to make it very enjoyable. Saturday morning, from about 10:00-12:30, we caught about 15 eyes. None were keepers...either too big or too small. We trolled lindys. 2 of us trolled bare hook lindys and one of us used a small floating jig(chartu). We fished in about 7-14 feet of water around an island right along a weed bed. Great weekend to be up! Though not sure if anyone else up there noticed, but the fireworks were not quite up to par Sunday night.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• lispeej

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

• 1 year later...

Was on Big Sandy over the weekend, and found a few walleyes! Fished saturday and sunday morning, mid-day and evening. Worked area out by long point from 12'-8' of water using a fat head and shiners. I was using jig tipped with minnow and had my wife setup with a bober and pink hook, both worked well. all the fish we caught were males in that 15" range had to pick thru to find a couple for the live well. a few pike with the mix also. i'm thinking those females were either right there with them or may have been out a bit deeper. was a fun time on the water thats for sure. Hope that can find those bigger ones this weekend.

It was a rough weekend on the north shore of Big Sandy as the southeast wind was brutal. I got out of the wind and it wasn't too bad. I fished Saturday and Sunday for a total of close to 10 hours and caught plenty of snake pike. There were a few trophies in the mix as well.

full-27052-33563-bass_may2013_1.jpg

full-27052-33564-bass_may2013_2.jpg

full-27052-33565-pike_may2013_1.jpg

Any updates on big sandy? Heading up this weekend. are the walleyes still in shallow?

Wish i had some updates for you. Will not be able to make it up this weekend. Let us know how you do! Good Luck

Fishing was great! Walleyes were biting in 6 ft. of water on a leech and plain hook under a slip float. Horrible weather on Saturday.

Thanks for the info! heading up tomorrow afternoon. Will let ya know how we do! have a good weekend!

Hit sandy on Saturday, went back out to bell horn bay took the little ones with me. was fishing 8-12 fow kids set up with plain hook with minnows and i was jigging with minnow. caught a few eyes one keeper the rest kept the kids busy, but a bit small to bring back for the table. caught a real nice solo crappie! want to know how the spot is between battle and moose island..lots of boats by the markers.. kids wanted to head in so didn't get a chance to try it out. maybe next weekend will give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

9 more days and I'm up there fishing on Big Sandy for 10 straight days! Should be a great time on the water.

We fished between battle and moose gut, didn't really get too much. I think we maybe had a hit or two. Changed direction and headed out to raspberry island. And that was the ticket. Caught 4 in the slot within about 30 mins or so. It was kinda a tough day on Sunday with the wind the way it was. But we just took it pretty slow and trolled lindyish rigs around. It seemed like pink was the magic color, tipped with a leech.

Hey! thanks for the info. was going to head up this weekend, but the honey do list is getting a bit large! so will have to put it off for a week or so frown can't wait to get back up and see where the fish are hanging out! Thanks again for the info. Good luck to you if you head out again!

• 3 weeks later...

well made it up to the lake once again for the long 4th weekend. had some great weather the entire 5 days up there. fished thursday morning between battle and moose gut with some pretty good success. had to pick thru the pack to find some for the live well..was in about 12' just using jig and leech. friday morning started out same spot and slowed down. thinking maybe because the pick up of boat activity thru that part. moved out deeper and with no luck. friday after noon moved up by north end about same depth and kept the kids busy for bout 1.5 hours not one keeper tho. went out sat night and had an absolute blast with catching fish all just a bit shy of the slot. me and my step son caught fish all night long. he was using a plain hook with leech under a bobber and out fished me with jig and leech. sounds like the may fly hatch may have started..so interested to see how it goes the next time make it up.

I am not sure you could fit another boat on the lake at 2pm.....

I agree, the pleasure boaters were in full force this past weekend. We didn't get to get out fishing as much as we would of liked, but did end up with a few keepers. I noticed a LOT of boats out on the rocks near the north end of the lake on Saturday afternoon. Not sure how any of them did.

I also noticed that the mayflies were just starting to hatch. I am sure they will also be out in full force this week.

Was anyone else kinda disappointed with the fireworks show on Sandy on Saturday? I mean the main part of the show was very good, but the grand finale was kind of a let down. I know that it is fully funded from donations, but I feel that something may have happened near the end that made it what it was.

I agree about the fireworks, what happened? All the boats just sat there like....[PoorWordUsage]? The radio station just finally jumps on and says thanks for coming! Huh.... I still love them over the lake!

• 3 weeks later...

I was out all day fishing on Big Sandy today. I trolled an orange lindy rig with a leech at the bottom all over the place and only came up with 2 pike and 1 largemouth bass which was surprising. I caught him along the north shore. The two pike were out in the middle of the lake on a 7 foot flat. I trolled along the north shore, around battle island and moose gut island, around raspberry island, and all over the flat just north of battle island. I never caught 1 single walleye. I mainly trolled in 6 to 9 feet of water all day...Where are you, walleyes!!!?? I'll try again tomorrow I guess...

Take of the orange and put on Chartreuse or hammered copper. Increase your leader length to a min of 6ft. Good luck and see you on the lake tonight!

Cool, thanks for the advice. I did switch to a copper one but only had the lindy rig about 2 or 3 feet from my lindy sinker. I've never really fished with them before so I'll switch it up the next time I ever fish that way. I did wind up catching a perch, an 18.5 inch smallmouth, and a few pike on that setup. I fished a couple spots with a bobber and a leach around 6 feet down and caught a lot of rock bass, a 13 inch crappie and a 19.5 inch walleye and kept nothing the entire weekend.

was up late friday and got out on the water saturday morning. fished a few areas that i hadn't tried before..thinking that was a mistake of mine by reading reports! i should have tried my spots first and find out if the fish were still there! Well live and learn and it was a GREAT weekend to be on the water..these temps could stay till fall smile I don't have much to report. i was using bobber and jig, but was using jumbo leeches and thinking i should have down sized to large if not med. size. I did not try any trolling with cranks yet. thinking the time is coming to take the lil ones out and cover the lake pulling some behind the boat..

• 4 weeks later...

wanted to know how the fishing has been? heading up tonight for the long weekend and excited to get out. Think going to take the little guys and pull some cranks.they have been begging and think it might be a good time to start. when people pull cranks are you doing it more around the islands or what i call the flats up on the north side? I'm thinking water temps went down and are probably back up. Hope this weekend has a good bite!

I actually pulled lead core a couple weekends ago out in 20-25 fow and did all right! It was a nice change up.

• 4 months later...

Any new fishing or travel reports for big sandy coming up soon from the tc just want to make sure I can get out to my spots on the lake

I'm wondering the same. I'm headed up to the cabin here in 2 weeks and was wondering how the bite has been lately. Don't need any magical spots, or what's working, just to know if anyone is doing well lately. We weren't going to pull the shack out, but have decided to give it a run till the end of the season. We normally set up in bell horn bay( or bill horn, depending on who you ask) and tend to do pretty good. My wife was up this past weekend and noticed a few guys have shacks out around that area. Any info on the bite would be greatly appreciated.

We have always had our best success in about 25-28 feet. I would begin on the west side of the lake. There are a few rock piles near the north end that people seem to have success with also. Have really only tried live bait in the winter(crappie minnows and waxies). There are so many good spots to try there. It's more a matter of finding a spot and sticking to your guns.

I usually fish the North and West side. I have always wanted to try Bill Horn Bay since it has the deepest water in that area. What is the quickest access to it? On the map, it showed a boat launch, but I wasn't able to find it.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

Honestly, every time I end up going there I go from the cabin over on a snowmobile. Not really sure of if there is an access there or not. I can find out though fairly quick.