• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Lake Fishing Reports

I never made it out this past weekend. I wonder if by next weekend the ice will be thick enough to drive a 3/4 ton truck or a heavy suv w/trailer yet.

Any news on the ice?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• lispeej

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

I was told that tullies hit the best around the mid to end of january. Can anyone confirm this?

I've always done the best during March, on lakes that I have fished for them, like Big Sandy, Leech, and Bowstring. Lots of fun.

Feb. was hot on Mille lacs last year. Those big sandy tullies might be able to eat the dinks on Mille Lacs!

Last year was early with tullie action from the 1st of Feb on to ice out.

There's a bevy of baits that work.I do in fact find a great deal of success with my hair jigs ,but I also do well with spoons or other trebles baits loaded up with waxies. It just takes what they want to hit.It doesn't take long to figure that out.

Here's a FM member Chris Barlage with a nice tullie.

th_2010icefishing311.jpg

keith, i might be stopping by sandy for a couple hours on saturday evening on my way home, any tullie/crappie action lately?

Once that sun starts to set the bite is over on BSL although there have been times the bite goes to sunset.Hitting Minnewawa would be better for an evening bite on crappies although you'll really have to sort out those metro sized specs.

We got lucky on those tullies a few weeks ago although they are starting to sift into the main basin areas on the north end of the lake.I hear the big pond is on fire for tullies...here again they are on the smaller end of the scale when it comes to size.

I would say that if you are looking for smkoers those smaller tullies brine up really nice.

I'm not guiding either so the guys I've been out with are good anglers and they know the waters.I can not aide,but I can document the day via videos and pictures.I also operate a pretty mean grill cooking lunch...terriaki merinaded chicken breasts are scheduled for tommorow.

Good luck on what ever it is you choose to do. If you get up with me for a full day we can discuss the plan of action prior to hitting that ice.Once on the water your pretty much on your own.

I drove on BSL and have about 18 inches of solid ice. Caught a couple of tullies. A fellow ice fisherman offered me the one he caught. Thanks. After that I caught one crappie at 9". I picked a bad day to fish, but it was fine to be out there in the gray windy wintery weather.

full-18973-4892-2010_2011promoonice310.j

The day started out with much promise as we headed to a lake never fished by any in the group.Turns out only small crappies and perch were available. That's when plan B was opted for. Crappies in spot #1 and a move for more crappies with maybe a few tullies on spot #2. Well that is exactly what happened. The video will follow tommorow,but here's Chris with one. He chose a spot we fished last year from his gps...what a good choice.

that tully if huge!

the smoker is getting fired up. I will get out to get some of those.

It's been a 2 tier attack. Working down low for the crappies with an eye up high for those suspended tullibees.The crappies have been holding tight to the breakline at the bottom of the break.Small baits and euros have taken a good share as well as THE Jig. The bite is slow but if you work at it you can catch some fish. Here's a few from today.

The bite is tough out there and it takes some patients working numberous fish to find the hitters.

2010-2011promoonice311.jpg

2010-2011promoonice312.jpg2010-2011promoonice354.jpg

2010-2011promoonice351.jpg

Usually we have fished for them starting in feb at the earliest but while looking at the GPS a little voice told me to check out the tullies. i guess the voice was right cuz they are there.

We will be up this coming weekend to try our luck. The in-law has been having some luck on the crappies so far this winter. I hope that holds out for the weekend!

Looks like fun and something I would like to try!!

Chris will be back in 2 weekends. If you'd like to join us there would be an open seat.Of course I'll be sitting right next to you shooting video of the entire expierence. eek

Geez, now I feel special. smile Thanks, let me look at my schedule.

BTW, I think I live right by Chris actually.

I'm taking the ol Lady up this weekend, for a mini weekend get away and will be staying at the resort on the lake. I have never have been to big sandy, Just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to start on this lake?...

Any help on where I might find some Panfish and tullibees(never caught one before) would be much appreciated, pm or on here would be appreciated.

Would also like to know the ice conditions as I will be driving a full size SUV.

Start on the north end of the lake...the lodge is on the south end.

You can access the lake off of hwy 65 just past the Sand bar or on the road between Bill Horn Bay and Wabun Bay.The lodge can give you directions.

Geez, now I feel special. smile Thanks, let me look at my schedule.

BTW, I think I live right by Chris actually.

You are special alright...LOL

Hope we can do this...it would be fun.