• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kamloops Production Shift

Again, if it was a good investment at one time, why not now? The boom of looper success was in the late '90s. Well after the recovery of the lake trout.

Why give it up?

I don't get it. Everyone reading this thread has benefitted from this program but are unwilling to support it because you think it costs too much. At the same time you don't care that 90% of what you invest in the DNR goes to programs where you don't benefit. Why not support something you use?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Pearson

• leech~~

• reinhard1

• Northlander

Even though the lakers may have been recovered by the late 90's, there's still more of them now than there were then. There's also more cormorants and loons now than there were then. Does anyone know if the smelt population has played any sort of role in looper numbers as well?

Kamloops behavior and whereabouts during the summer growing season is largely a mystery for the biologists. Shore and boat anglers rarely catch them during the summer when they are eating and growing the fastest. In the fall to spring to spring periods they appear to be opportunistic feeders. I've found every critter imaginable in them from 1/4 inch nymphs to small smelt. I once found a whole small warbler bird in the stomach of one. Lake Superior is at or near carrying capacity for predators according to the biologists. Obviously the smaller smelt population existing today as opposed to the past is playing some role in their survival and every other pedator fish. Kamloops, however, are a very small percentage of the predator biomass which is mainly composed of the siscowet lake trout which even outnumber lean lake trout about ten to one. Kamloops do grow fast becoming 5 lb. fish in just three years in Lake Superior so they are finding food when they don't get eaten, themselves, by some other predator.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates

I started the Kamloops Production Shift topic about 4 years ago, now. Time flies when we are having fun – doesn’t it? The focus has itself shifted from the Kamloops production location to license fee increase to hatchery rehabilitation. Throughout it all the importance of the management of the French River Cold Water Hatchery in providing Kamloops and Steelhead or any other Minnesota Lake Superior opportunity has been quite apparent.

Every time the topic gets updated, both critics and supporters have added comments suggesting the course of action they feel is appropriate. As in my own case, recommendations seem to be generated by the individual’s perception of the value that the FRCWH programs create for them and the community.

The FRH Rehabilitation study has recommended renovation which would require the MNDNR to request from the state legislature of Minnesota bonding to secure the necessary money to keep the FRCWH functional for another 25 years. So the future economic and social benefits that the FRCWH will provide will be decided by the MNDNR and the Minnesota State Legislature.

The process is political and the decision makers need to hear from us on what we want to happen with the future of the North Shore fishing opportunities that depend on the future of the FRCWH. I again urge North Shore anglers to contact them with their concerns.

I am hopeful that the FRCWH will be rehabilitated. Fishing itself is always a hopeful act. Hope is the last thing to die.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ross, thanks for your time and dedication on this important topic in the last 4 years. The information you have continually provided has been a large help to those on both sides of this subject. Please keep it up. I know that I have learned a lot more about the issues from your posts. wink

• 9 months later...

A MNDNR Lake Superior Area Fisheries "kick-off" conference to start the revision process of the Lake Superior Management Plan is scheduled for Dec. 6, 2014 at the Cloquet Forestry Center to update interested citizens on the status and management of fisheries in the Minnesota waters of Lake Superior.

Ross Pearson - Kamloops Advocates representative

Ross,

What time will the meeting be held. If I can make I would not mind hearing what they plan to do.

The hours weren't specified yet in the notification, but ten years ago the first session open to all interested groups and individuals went all day with breaks and a lunch. The full letter announcement can be seen on the FISHING REPORTS page at the Kamloops Advocates site. The exact schedule will be forthcoming. Lake Superior Area Fisheries is trying to get an estimate for how many will be attending. Information will be presented and folks will have opportunities to present issues.

Got It. Thanks for the heads up and we will watch for the time of the meeting. At least I know I am not on call.

• 2 weeks later...

Conference kicks off plan for Lake Superior fisheries management

(Released November 17, 2014)

Those interested in how the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources manages fish in Lake Superior are invited to participate in an informational conference on Saturday, Dec. 6, an event that kicks off the revision process for the next 10-year plan for Lake Superior fisheries management.

The current 10-year plan took effect in 2006 and expires in 2015. The new plan will be the third 10-year plan for Lake Superior fisheries management.

Doors open at 8:30 a.m. for the conference, hosted by the DNR at the University of Minnesota Cloquet Forestry Center. It will last from 9 a.m. until 4:15 p.m.

DNR staff and other experts will present on the status and management of Lake Superior fish populations, habitat, and sport, charter and commercial fisheries, as well as inter-jurisdictional management issues. Participants will have an opportunity to identify and discuss issues in breakout sessions.

One area that could receive more attention than in previous plans is trout stream habitat in the lake’s tributaries.

“The Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment was not around during the last management plan revision process,” said Cory Goldsworthy, Lake Superior fisheries supervisor. “With this new source of funding and the stakeholder group’s involvement in stream habitat projects already, a lot of discussion could be devoted to stream habitat this time around.”

The 2016 fisheries management plan for the Minnesota waters of Lake Superior will be developed by the DNR with input from the Lake Superior advisory group, which represents sport and commercial fishing organizations, environmental groups, local governments and interested anglers.

The DNR will consider public input from the conference and other public meetings as priorities are set and recommendations are drafted for the next 10-year plan. When complete, the document will describe the past, present and desired future condition of the lake and identify specific management activities planned for the next decade.

There will be multiple opportunities for public review and input as the draft plan is developed over the next year.

The current plan is available online. The draft 2016-2025 plan is expected to be available for public review in the fall of 2015.

• 3 months later...

The revisionary process for the Lake Superior Management Plan is portraying a very bleak outlook for effective Kamloops and Steelhead programs operating out of the French River Cold Water Hatchery (FRCWH) because of high rehabilitation and operating costs. We urge those anglers and businesses benefiting from the program to contact their Minnesota State leslislative representatives asking them to seek bonding, increased license fees, and General Fund revenue to keep the FRCWH and its Kamloops and Steelhead programs operating effectively.

Good advice, Ross...Just sent some emails off today. What a joy it is for me be able to shore fish at the French River, Breakwall in Two Harbors and other spots along the shore and actually be able to catch a fish now and then.

Even though the French River Cold Water Hatchery (FRCWH) provides the best combination of stocking size, stocking timing, and imprinting for successful Lake Superior programs, the MNDNR feels compelled to essentially shut it down and shift production to the Spire Valley Hatchery whose products can only offer a fraction of the returns available through the FRCWH.

Legislative intervention with financial support for the FRCWH should be considered necessary in order to maintain the considerable social and economic benefits that only the FRCWH is capable of providing.

If enough users of the FRCWH Steelhead and Kamloops programs contact their representatives about the issue, rehabilitation of the FRCWH will become more of a political reality.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the 2 responses I received from a high school friend who is now a State Senator in a Twin City district. Ross....has any legislation bee introduced or will a bonding bill be introduced next session?

I have not seen any legislation regarding the French River Cold Water Hatchery. This is located in Majority Leader Tom Bakk’s district. As leader of the Senate, he will decide whether there will be a bonding bill brought forward. Usually, a bonding bill is in the off year, meaning a non-budget year, such as 2016. Perhaps you would like to contact Bakk’s office since he represents the Two Harbors area. His contact information can be found at the following link:

http://www.senate.mn/members/member_bio.php?mem_id=1003

As far as I know, no legislation has been introduced to secure bonding funds for rehabilitation of the FRCWH. Along with bonding, the MNDNR is looking to be reimbursed for the operational costs at the FRCWH. It would be nice if the MNDNR would take the lead on these issues through their ongoing legislative budget requests. Majority Leader Tom Bakk has been approached on the hatchery issues but has not introduced any legislation addressing the problems that I am aware of. The Lake Superior Management Plan is in the revision process this year and will drive the MNDNR decisions on the fate of the FRCWH. Kamloops Advocates is making the case for returning all Kamloops Production to the FRCWH based on research and assessment information pointing to the probable inneffectiveness of Spire Valley Kamloops Production. This whole topic is connected to that issue.