• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoshM

• traveler

• hound32

• Steve Foss

Some guys who pay the gods get a few. Its not fast and furious by any means but if you spend the time you will get 1.

I was out saturday and managed a couple . Did see quite a few rolling so that was promising. Is all the ice gone now with this strong wind ? I did have to fight some ice on sat. I wasnt at the french so I dont know what is happening there.

i have been out a couple times this week. there are some fish being caught. patience game. seems like the bobbers have been the better bet for most of the guys i have spoken with. the french river is getting alot of guys coming and going - pretty busy; but the fish are there. tried another spot yesterday afternoon and had one bobber go down.

I got a few last week 2 loopers, 2 coho and a nice 28" native hen. All on crawlers. Felt good to set the hook with the long sticks.

Its better from mcquade up but its going to be kinda variable with the ice. I think itll be a day to day thing with the calm winds. Especially around the lester.

Skim ice started to develop around 8 oclock this morning. Made fishing very tough. Kept getting snagged the floating ice chunks. Broke off my rig a couple times because of the ice. Fishing was very slow. Not even a bite

No, it's worse. I was just down by the french/bluebird. I couldn't see anywhere at all to toss spoons, but there were a few guys fishing bait/bobbers in a few samll areas of open water. I'm sure they were dodgeing ice even in those spots.

Traveler, im thinking of heading down there tomorrow . Do you think i would be able to find a place to fish? Or is it that bad ? We are suppose to get north winds tonight I wonder if it will push the ice out enough. Thanks ahead for the reply.

can i fish for loopers & coho after feb?cant find any of my 30 reg books.never tried for em but since im only a few minutes from lester now i might give it a go.are crawlers on a bobber the way to go?someone told me waxies too.thanks.

yup you can fish em anytime of the year i believe. march and april are the best times for them! I use waxies when im fishin top and crawlers when im fishin bottom. Ill be up at the french tomorrow around 3, hopefully it is fishable!

It was still totally unfishable today...OK, a couple guys fishing right IN the mouth, but thats it. No better up towards bluebird...

Given up on the ice hound or just looking for some looper action?

Does location matter much this time of year or is it just right place and time...does being by rivers produce more???

Also I hate watching bobbers so would spoons be a bad idea over live bait this time of year when the water is still colder?

Thanks guys

You can catch Loopers up and down the shore, although they only plant from bluebird to the Lester. Common wisdom says rivers mouths become more key the closer we get to the spring spawning run. I pretty much just cast spoons...I won't say they're better than bait (or even as good I guess) but I've caught a lot of loopers and thats how I like to go after them. Just something about feeling the strike I guess:) Bobbers would be my 2nd choice. Bait on bottom catches a lot of loopers though...

the huge sheet all moved southeast so the n shore is clear as far as i could see as i came down glenwood rd. There is still some ice attached to shore tho.

traveler- what kind of spoons do you use?i dont have any lake superior fishin gear but i was just gonna put a bait caster with 10lb mono on my 8'? muskie rod.cant afford a new pole just for LS as im upgrading my wally gear but spoons i can afford.gotta make do sometimes.thanks.

Also, about how deep do i wanna be for loopers or coho?fishin on the bottem with crawlers- do i wann do the lindy rig?air up the worms?use spinners?sorry for all the rookie questions but thats what i am as far as the big lake goes.thanks again.i hope ill be reporting on some catches soon.

One last question on spoons...so you guys start the retrieve right away or give the spoon some sink time?? I have usually started reeling right away since I get snaggede doing most anything else....anyone notice banging spoons off rocks getting more strikes????