• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fish with teeth

yet another break in.

fish with teeth

sun 1-31-10 i had my house out on the southern tip of barnacles flat. about 4:15 i left to help a friend set his house up on deans flat. i came back at about 7:15 to find my tv, vexilar, aqua vu, electric auger, digital camera, dvds, all of my tackle, and way more than i care to list all gone. there was a white GMC sierra 2500 in a newer clam portable about 100 feet away. i hate to point fingers but i have to suspect it was them. there was nobody else around me and i kept looking out of my buddies window( i think its only about a half mile away). never saw any lights or movement other than them. i filed a police report but we all know that never really helps. that really cuts a season short when you have no more equipment. so everyone be aware of who is around you and when you leave take your important stuff with you. even if you are still within sight. sucks for me but hopefully it will help someone else. be safe.

bobbymalone

that sucks.

although it's too late for you, hopefully somebody will read your post and think twice about ever leaving valuable stuff unsupervised in their house.

good luck getting your stuff back, you never know...

fishfearme

That really sucks! Im on the south end of Barnacles also. I left at like 10am sunday. It goes to show you just never know who is next to you. I hate theives!

HopkinsFishN

Sorry to hear the bad news. Let's all keep an eye out for everyone out there, and if ya see someone different at a house or even looking, go talk to them atleast.

coombia21

If this keeps happening when will people get the message and never leave anything in a house unattended, even if you are only a half a mile away. When we leave the house even if we are going to town we take everything even the tv not worth the risk of having it stolen.

fishfearme

OK buddy. crazy We just need to watch out for our neighbors, not pack everything away like you are going home. I suppose the heat should be shut off too? grin

ozzie

I am with the guy that said take it with you then you will have it when you get back. For some reason there are to many crooks on the lakes looking for quick and hefty payday's. Just think of the amount of money you might have invested in fishing equipment and tackle and the majority of it can be grabbed and left the scene in a matter of seconds. I know I have 2 graphs ($900) 4 poles and reels ($350) and bag full of tackle ($300) that if I were to leave unattended it would take 10 seconds to take and be gone. All of them are small and easy to grab yet have alot of value!!! Something to think about the next time you go to the bar or make a run to a friends ice house or town. How easy is it to take your vexilar and rods and tackle with you? For me it is 2 minutes of putting things in their place and loading up. Inconvienence YES but so is having everything taken from me!!

broman

when you leave take your important stuff with you

Always do. I might look paranoid to my buddies, but I'll still have my stuff when I get back.

elkrivermn

It is sad that we have to remove anything of value when we leave even if only for a short time. Fellas call be paranoid but anything of value goes with me when I leave the house.

coombia21

My buddies used to give me [PoorWordUsage] that i would pack up the whole house even for going town until my buddy had a tv and a generator and a whole bunch of tackle stolen while on a bait run on his sled

fish with teeth

i used to be among those who called it paranoya(sp), but now when i do have stuff worth taking it will be in the truck with me. even if im only a half mile away. call it an expensive lesson learned.

ozzie

definatly stinks that this happened but I would be willing to bet that it doesn't happen to you again!!

coombia21

just a question for you but why didnt you go and ask the guys in the truck if they have seen anything and at the same time looking around to see if you could see any of your stuff in their truck

fish with teeth

i would have but they were gone when i got back. sorry if i didnt explain that before. i talked to 1 neighbor who was packing up and didnt see anything, but he was a little ways away. there was no one else around.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Ice fishing has begun!  Many resorts have fish houses out with others watching ice conditions in the area they fish for the right time.  Below zero temps this week will help.  Some ice roads are open to ATV and snowmobile traffic.  Check with your resort / outfitter prior to coming up.  Fishing has started out excellent as expected.  Most finding walleyes and saugers in 21 - 26 feet of water.  A shallow bite happening in 18-20' morning / evening.  The norm of jigging one line and dead sticking the other line working well.  Good numbers of fish being caught with some trophies mixed in as well as pout, perch, tullibees, sturgeon and an occasional pike.  Very little snow on the ice.   On the Rainy River...   Most of the river is frozen over with a few random spots still showing open water.  There is no traffic on the river at this time while ice is forming.  Extra caution is always needed with current and this year the current is stronger than most years.   Up at the NW Angle...  Some resorts have a few fish houses out and initial fishing reports for walleyes are excellent.  Some areas still need time with high current this year.  Forecast is favorable with sub zero temps this week.  The majority of ice traffic is snowmobiles thus far.  It's a must to stick to resort marked trails or know the area you are traveling.  
    • bowhuntingboy1
      Also, on the topic of zebra muscles, scientifically it may show how they are terrible for a lakes ecosystem and whatnot, but you look at mille lacs for example, which is about infested as it gets with zebra muscles, yet it's currently a world class walleye, muskie, and smallmouth fishery. Now obviously you dont want to spread zebra muscles, they are invasive and its heavily illegal,  it just seems that their impact is overstated.
    • Chill62
      The trip is a fun time and we have been blessed with warm favorable conditions the last two years I've helped set it up.  Just hope it keeps up that way because every trip prior it was -20 or worse temps.     Thanks!  We've put a lot of work into it so far.  It isn't new but its new to us and that is the only way we could get what we wanted with the features we wanted.  Having a heated cab is amazing when going across the ice we actually had to take our jackets off prior to traveling across the ice.  I we made the rack for the back for hauling gear and giving us a little more space (PVC).  Ice fishing is our favorite season and when we figured we spent last year from weekend before Thanksgiving to April 22nd area on the ice every weekend its an investment that we will use.  We also plow out 5-7 driveways at the lake for neighbors so it helps cut down on the amount of time I am spending plowing when I have a 72" blade instead of a 60" 4 wheeler blade and not enough power to push big piles.  
    • bowhuntingboy1
      I can see all arguments and their points. I just logically think that everyone in america should have to follow the same laws regardless of race or culture or history 200 years ago. Maybe statistically this may be wrong somehow, but oh well, you're all entitled your opinion. 
    • Sculpin
      Could be worse guys, way worse.  You could have a deeper fishery, and have to account for "hooking mortality"  Such as it is at Mille Lacs.  I think everyone needs to understand that the old days are gone, and liberal limits, as we all once knew them, are rapidly becoming obsolete. LOTWS just went from 8 to 6 fish, and I would not be at all surprised to see it go to 5, or less, its just a matter of time. Everyone chatters about catch and release fishing, and the DNR would tell you that the majority of surveyed anglers, particularly at Mille Lacs are good with the concept. I don't necessarily agree with their methodology, but it is what it is.  Drive less, stop at Mille Lacs, and get your one fish, (maybe). It'll never be more than a two fish lake again, because the Bands will never, ever, compromise on their end of the harvest, nor on the co-management of the lake,  at the end of the day, they have no reason to. Red lake is the same. I think they may finally have it right, impact of zebra mussels notwithstanding. Time will tell. Get used to it, if you live long enough, like Kelly, you'll see worse. 
    • CJH
      I grew up in Winona (didn't ice fish back then) but the Mississippi River  is NOT to be messed with - it will always win.  Fantastic fishing, but definitely take baby steps in getting to know it.      Might be a good idea to Post in the SE MN section and see if somebody would let you tag along.
    • Random dude
      I meant to say the tribal waters are the factory that keeps the popluation going,  we would fish out every lake we have control of if they let us.  Thank the Band and DNR for setting up a safe harvest limit and rules for everyone to follow that is building this great fishery back
    • Random dude
      Best to listen to Kelly on this one.   He has been around long enough to see the booms and busts and attended all the meetings on the rebuilding after the crash.   The way I look at it, look at the hordes of fishermen on the small non-tribal portion.   Now imagine spreading that kind of pressure on the entire upper and lower lake, it would crash in a matter of a few years.   I honestly think we owe a debt of gratitude for the low lbs/acre harvest on the vast tribal waters.   If they harvested as much per acre as we did, crash time.   The non-tribal waters are the factory that keeps healthy population going that we're seeing now.  It must be working, results speak for themselves.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Looks like a very enjoyable weekend for you guys Chill62! Your ranger setup looks real slick! Jealous! 
    • Borch
      Sounds like a fantastic weekend!   Gotta love it when the kids are catching fish.