• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'CCO says #7 to sign 10 year contract

toughguy

They had no choice after we built that stadium for the Pohlads. No report on how much it'll cost them. I'm glad they got it done. Now it's time to extend 33.

FROM WCCO TV:

Sources: Mauer, Twins Agree To 10-Year Contract

Sources tell WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen that American League MVP Joe Mauer has come to a preliminary agreement with the Minnesota Twins for a 10-year contract extension.

Mauer, 26, and the Twins had been pretty quiet about contract negotiations, while fans were eager to find out if their hometown hero would be staying put at last weekend's annual fan festival.

This is Mauer's final year of his current contract and manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday he was confident that both sides would come together and strike a deal.

Mauer's current salary this season is $12.5 million. Contract details about his new salary were not immediately released.

Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the coveted AL MVP award, finishing first in an almost unanimous vote in November.

Mauer set a major league record for highest batting average by a catcher and won his third batting title, becoming the first repeat batting champion since Nomar Garciaparra in 1999-00.

He's been voted to the All-Star team three times and won his second straight AL Gold Glove award.

Mauer was born in St. Paul and would've been a free agent after the 2010 season.

Rosen will have all the latest details on WCCO 4 News at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Quote:
According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, the reports of Joe Mauer's 10-year contract extension with the Twins are not accurate.

Olney cites multiple sources, including those close to the Twins, to refute a WCCO.com report. He Tweets: "The Twins remain optimistic that a deal will eventually get done, but a deal is not done yet." Stay tuned.

Let's think back to the Favre situation this summer. ESPN wrong about 8 times and Rosen breaks the story when it's done. I trust Rosie on this one.

I didnt mean to debate what he had, just posting what Espn had to say.

Says right in that story it isn't done yet, just preliminary. ESPN is basically agreeing with what was said.

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins started their annual winter gala with everything a baseball fan with cabin fever could want on a cold night: autographs from the players, batting cages and meat smoking on the grill.

Everything except that contract extension for Joe Mauer.

TwinsFest began on Friday without an announcement of the Mauer megadeal Minnesotans have been hoping for, that sure-to-be-expensive guarantee of keeping the American League MVP in his hometown for the foreseeable future.

Mauer

Mauer and the Twins have been steadfastly quiet about any negotiations, but manager Ron Gardenhire expressed optimism a deal will get done this spring.

"I'm just letting it happen. I don't sit and fret about it," Gardenhire said earlier in the day at Target Field, where the Twins are moving this year. "I think the right thing is going to happen. I think we all know. I think we all know the ramifications if something were not to happen and it would go the other way. That wouldn't be a good thing for anybody. I don't see who, other than maybe some clubs out east."

Mauer is making $12.5 million this season, the last year of his current contract. He'll be eligible for free agency in the fall if no new deal is in place, a scenario that wouldn't bode well for the Twins given the interest the soon-to-be-27-year-old would attract on the open market. But Gardenhire, though removed from the process, wasn't worried.

"I'll be happy when he does sign. He can buy me a beer. Probably two. Maybe three," he said, chuckling.

With Target Field blanketed in snow and the temperature near zero, TwinsFest was held at the usual Metrodome spot. Mauer was, of course, the center of attention wherever he wandered.

About the contract?

"I feel like a broken record," he said. "People, they want to know what's going on and try to find out things when they can, but I keep saying -- I'm sounding like a broken record right now -- it'll all happen when it needs to happen and you've just got to try to let it all happen. That's what we're doing."

As Mauer took questions from a small group of reporters in a basement hallway, teammate and close friend Justin Morneau walked by and shouted, "14-year extension, 20 a year!"

Well, the deal won't be that long, but it will be that pricey.

"I just don't want it to be a distraction to what we're trying to do as a team for 2010," Mauer said. "I just want to prepare for that season and hopefully not be the focus of everything, because we've got a great lineup coming in."

I hope they get it done, but also be realistic. Guaranteeing 200 plus million for 10 years can also damage a small market team such as the Twins. I would hate to have just Mauer and then a bunch of scrubs, or worse yet, Mauer gets injured in the first year of his contract, then the Twins are locked to pay him, and a replacement. I am sure in the back of the managements minds, they know we have a very good and young replacement for Mauer right now, who could step in and do a good job, and we could trade Mauer to get some other much needed holes filled, and for less money.

Just remember, we are not the Yankees, or Boston, if we give Mauer a record contract, and something happens to him, we are going to feel the pain of his big contract for many years!

like gardy said give him mpls or st paul

if you want to go farther in the play offs

yankees 7-9 deep in super stars

hunters gone santana gone get

let mauer go start all over didnt sound like gardy liked that idea

i dont know the stats but it seems the twins draw pretty good

The Twins draw well and should draw well with the new stadium. I agree with wanderingeyes. You do take a huge risk in a contract of that length. Mauer is the type of guy that isn't going to cheat us out of it by not giving 110% but if he gets hurt or his numbers fall 4 or 5 years in.....

Think of the final years of Kevin Garnett when he had no one around him cause of his massive contract. We still haven't rebounded from it and won't for some time probably!

The Wolves made one nice run and if we sign Mauer I feel like we might have that happen where the Twins make 1 or 2 nice runs to the AL Championship or World Series but then fall to mediocrity. It might be worth a few mediocre years if we have another World Series trophy to display first though!

I feel like if this were to happen that the Twins organization is managed from top to bottom much better than the Wolves so hopefully even if we don't make the playoffs, we still have talent and excitement. I don't want to relive the mid to late 90's again!

Quote:
According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, Joe Mauer "laughed" at Monday's reports that he had inked a 10-year contract extension with the Twins.

We've already deduced that those reports were false, but it is believed that some progress is being made on an long-term deal. Mauer, 26, hit .365/.444/.587 with a career-high 28 home runs and 96 RBI last season and is likely to land an annual salary worth well north of $20 million.

well you hafta to keep building and keep the team good

as long as you playing above 500 ball i thik you can keep the fans coming

keep letting the mauers go you are just a step above the farm team

i'm sure theres clauses in there about injuries as time goes on

and lot of these contacts are built around bonuses

its fun to watch them do good all year but in the back of your mind your think hope the yankees dont make the play-offs

Anyway Fox New's Sean Hannity is reporting the Yankee's "joe wants to win" have out bid the Twins and will sign Joe to a lifetime contract to the tune of..... ONE....BILLION Dollars!

Hate to say I told you on this one but...

austinpowersmikemyersas.jpg

Funny how this comes just after signing Thome. Wonder if that move was what persuaded the deal to get closer to being done. Reports this winter were he wants some movement from the team to show it is serious about signing other players first.

do you blame the guy. keep putting players around him, make the team better, and he would love to stay. gotta spend the money to be the best.

Signing a 39 year old I doubt would impact Big Joe. Sign a real 3b and 2b with real pro numbers and not 35years old now that may.

This isnt much, but it is the first in awhile about any news on this.

Quote:
Although Twins CEO Jim Pohlad would not discuss contract-extension negotiations with Joe Mauer, he did on Monday say that the Twins are opposed to giving out contracts with deferred compensation.

This could affect negotiations with Mauer, as the team must figure out a way to sign him long-term without crippling their budget. "There's a ton of real-life examples of that kind of thinking," Pohlad said. "It's either going to be somebody else's problem, or we'll worry about that later. And eventually you've got to worry about it. And at that point, when you've got to worry about it, it affects your current operation. So it's really not a good thing."

Those Pohlads don't what they are doing how they became Multi-Billionaires is beyond me with the way the run their myriad of successful Business's.

YANKEE"S!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this isnt much, but talks should start rolling out soon, if they plan on getting him signed by opener.

Quote:
A club source tells La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that Ron Shapiro, the agent for Joe Mauer, has arrived in Fort Myers to meet with the Twins.

According to Neal, it's being shaped as Shapiro's annual visit to spring training, but the two sides are expected to hold face-to-face discussions about Mauer's future in Minnesota. There was some buzz last month that the framework of a deal is already in place, but according to Neal, there are indications that progress has slowed recently.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

I don't know...are the "powers that be" in the Twins organization even in Ft. Meyers, or back here holding down the fort at Target Field?