• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

thanks hanronson im in limbo right now its about an hour drive for me to get there one of my friends was out monday and caught 8 crappies in the 10 to 12 inch range I could go to a closer lake and catch an unlimited amount but nothing over 9 inches, dosent sound worth the trip...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• fishnhooks

• t-bags

• Gordie

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnows or larva???? Never fished it this winter.....I would guess the bite is towards dark??

I actually saw a picture of a limit of crappies taken from Francis grin with some nice perch mixed in. They where around the 9-10" range, but I have not seen any proof of the "hubcap" sized crappies yet.

I was told just soft plastics at sundown work the best. No live bait. Something like a Ratzo tipped with a Nuggie I would say.

Good luck! smile

a ratso tipped with a nuggie? tipping a tail with a tail? now that is something I haven't seen or thought of trying!!! LOL It sounds like a buddy of mine wants to get out there and give it a whirl possibly this weekend so maybe I will have a report on this gem on Monday.....

I went out and fished Francis on Friday afternoon/evening. Lots of people. Not many fish being caught. I myself caught 4 crappies all about 10 inches long. I did not see ANY fish that were larger than 10" landed and I probably saw about 30 fish caught. Two of my fish were caught on minnows and the other two on Euro larva. The fishing was sooo good I went somewhere else today and caught 19 sunfish (keepers) and 8 crappies. I fished the Lino Lakes area today. I didn't know that any of the lakes in that area had sunfish like the ones I caught today. Talk about a pleasant surprise.

I made it out there and I was surprised at how close this lake was to my house....I went on Sunday afternoon with a couple buddies and we started in the middle of everybody and then kept moving around until we found fish with very few people around us which was nice......caught crappies of all different sizes up to 12 inches......they were tough to get to bite and find but we worked out enough for a meal!! I would say from the reports from others on the lake the old saying of 10% of the fisherman are catching fish was true as others were walking around the crowds and said our area was the only one catching fish......FYI the landing was getting pretty rough Sunday nite alot of water out there!!!

my buddy was out tuesday and left at 11:30 am and said the access was close to being shot especially with the rain the last 2 days I would imagine it aint gonna last long

Was out there the other day, a little scary to drive on. 4-wheeler from this day forward, if I even go out. Sat for 2 hours, not even a bite. Was fun a week ago!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove over there last night and wow you won't be putting a boat in the lake until the county gets out there and fixes the ruts at the landing area....even when the mud dries out it will still be tough to get a trailer in there cause the ruts are so deep!!!

I drove over there last night and wow you won't be putting a boat in the lake until the county gets out there and fixes the ruts at the landing area....even when the mud dries out it will still be tough to get a trailer in there cause the ruts are so deep!!!

If memory serves me well, the depth of the water is really shallow to land a boat. I tried it when I first moved to the area and the boat barely got wet.

If you have a boat you have to "launch", good luck.

A light weight aluminum boat with a roller trailer and you should be ok.

I had my truck (full size f150) and a 16 foot aluminum w/a bunk trailer attempting to launch a couple years ago and had the front tires of the truck 20 feet into the water and the boat was still not wet. Lets just say the carp were safe.....

That and there is realy no parking available at that landing........

access is owned and maintained by the people that live around the lake, and my guess is after this winter there sick of all the people. past three years seen 15 people there tops. then 1,000's this winter,the lake is probally just about fished out. the landing is never dug out, holds three to five vehicles and the lakes about 1-2 ft deep for about a 100yds. unless you have a small boat / canoe good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone gone by the lake in the last 2 weeks and can you tell me if they have cleaned up the access to attempt to launch a boat?

I have saw 2-5 boats out there almost everyday. I do not know how they got out there though.

is the launch still really rutted up?? there are alot of homes on the north end and west end that could get boats in the water pretty easily

• 3 months later...

the access is a dirt landing on the southeast side of the lake and has room for 3-5 rigs. it doesn't have a dock but you can launch a boat at least in late May you could.

the launch is really shallow, and the lake pretty much got cleaned out this winter/ spring good luck ive been out there a few times and it's been a waste.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any fishing reports they would like to share from Francis? Also, How is the ice out there with all this snow?

francis was heavily fished last year. also the tail end of the ice season francis had little or none and far as an oxygen reading. i got that directly from dnr personel the day after they took that reading. yes they had great fishing for a spell with cappies [and good size] but word got around and it was hammered big time. in my opinion there are better places to try now. good luck.

well the fishing was fine this summer and I have heard of mixed results so far this winter so with some catching them and others being skunked.....I haven't heard of any reports since the storm though

I am guilty of hammering Francis last year. Tried it inthe morning and got skunked. I'll go back during late ice hand try it again. We caught 50 or so 10+ inch last year.

That lake is done, people have been out trying to get some crappies and getting skunked, not to return crowd has been light for the most part there's only a handfull of nice fish left its like a needle in a haystack .hope fully the pressure will go away for a few years so things will ne back to normal, thanks to all who cleaned out the lake!

A great example of a lake being destroyed.. anyone ever hear of catch and release?

Did anyone out there realize what that lake is and what its been like for YEARS? Most locals who are familiar with the area were amazed that people were eating fish caught in that lake...

You couldnt pay me to eat a fish caught in that lake.. and I would have loved to have fished it for some fun CATCH AND RELEASE last year, but that crowd made me sickcry

I wish I knew a good way to get Carp to bite on ice, I would be out there every weekend.

The only thing the lake is realy good for is harpooning carp in the spring/summer. If you could figure out carp on a tip up, look out!!!!!

All the 612ers taking home Buckets and buckets of fish last year laughlaughcrazysicklaugh

(sorry, I laughed until puked a little) YUCK!!! If only they knew.......

The lake association is trying hard to clean it up, money poorly spent......

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I wish I knew a good way to get Carp to bite on ice, I would be out there every weekend.

The only thing the lake is realy good for is harpooning carp in the spring/summer. If you could figure out carp on a tip up, look out!!!!!

All the 612ers taking home Buckets and buckets of fish last year laughlaughcrazysicklaugh

(sorry, I laughed until puked a little) YUCK!!! If only they knew.......

The lake association is trying hard to clean it up, money poorly spent......

Hey Matt, I think there was some 763ers out there as well! laugh