• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• fishnhooks

• t-bags

• MJ1657

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what's up with this lake? Saw a ton of people out there today....must be missin' something.

I saw the samething wondering what was happening. I am guessing the panfish bite must be good. Fishing pressure has been next to nothing for a few years because of the reclamation project to clean up the water. I heard that it has been deemed clean enough to consume fish again. The area being fished I am guessing is a deep hole. I think it is ahallow lake around the shoreline.

I was out there on Saturday evening. I heard from a reliable source about some big crappies being caught earlier in the week, so I figured I'd try it out. Wow, never seen so many people on a little lake in my life! There was at least 80 vehicles out there, all camped on the same spot. We started out on the outskirts of the group, but it kept getting bigger as the day went on, so we started drilling all over the lake. Figured it didn't matter since it's just a big bowl. Didn't find a single fish, no bites, nothing. Looks like another small lake bit the dust. Doesn't take too long to fish a lake out when word gets out!

yeah i heard about this lake also from 3 different sources so i figured word was out and that means the little lake has no chance. just hope everyone isnt meat hunters. also dnr report shows its been good fishing lake for years

It was red hot for slab crappies earlier. I know a few guys still getting a few 14's but the word got out and people have yet to learn about catch and release for big panfish. Unfortunately most of the quality sized fish have left the lake.

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I hear that pea soup water that smells like sewage in the summer adds a nice flavor to the frying pan. Sorry for the nasty thought but I just could'nt bring myself to eating any of those fish. Not after knowing what that lake turns into about mid July.

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

yep it is to bad that some guy could not keep this lake under his hat. the water is pretty green in the summer though.

All of the fish from there should be catch and release. I live close by the lake and I knew what was going on there, but there is no way I would eat a fish from there, sick at least not yet.

They way people flocked there you would have thought that someone said "There's gold in that there lake". I would drive by and shake my head. It is just unbelievable how fast and how far the word spread......unbelievable. frown

"hooks"

Just curious why the DNR decided to stock Walleye's in this lake if the water is so "bad" and it is only 8 ft deep max? Any ideas? I caught one on Tuesday.

600,000 Walleye fry stocked in 2007

I don't think they are stocked. All the lakes in that area are connected by streams/ditches etc and they kind of migrate from lake to lake. Whatever you do don't eat the fish out of that pond, I have heard that it was a dumping ground for one of the local companies back in the days.

Dan

Margarete lake, Long lake and Francis are all connected and it starts off with the junk yard that pretty much runs to the shore line of Margarete Lake, then runs over to Long lake but on the way, there is a field that a local sewer pumping company owns and uses as their dumping grounds that runs into the waterway with rain runoff and spring melting of snow, and then all of this goes over to Lake Francis. Well you know what they say "Good Eatin"

was out there today and didn't catch a thing but some perch. doesn't the rum river run in to that lake as well?

Quote:
Margarete lake, Long lake and Francis are all connected

This is a common thought and I thought the same thing at one time, but not true. Unless, you consider they are all connected via the Rum River.

German is connected to Long and then to the Rum. Francis is not connected to Long.

"hooks"

I've also heard of cattle sewage was a problem. Farmer would let cattle into the lake and they would do their business. Or maybe it was bad run off not sure. My son talked to a dnr person and he said that the lake was deemed clean enough to conusme fish. I wouldn't yet seeing how dirty that lake is/was.

well the water clarity is well lets just say it the worst I've ever seen. your lucky to see the bottom of the ice.

cattle doing their bussiness in the lake Hmm guess thats why the fish are so big natural fertilizer winkgrin

well to clear the water, what i know and this is what a friend told me that lives on the lake is that the carp which are plentiful in there keep the water stirred up pretty bad. If you were to go to the east end of the lake you could see bottom no problem. And the subject of eating the fish i have ate a bunch im still kicking and as of my buddy who has been eating them for awhile he doesnt have a eleventh toe yet, so chow down them crappies are tasty.

I was thinking the murky water was from the Carp as well. Being that shallow, you'd think you could run into certain spots of thin ice with the carp swirling the water underneath. Just something to think about while driving around out there.

I was thinking the murky water was from the Carp as well. Being that shallow, you'd think you could run into certain spots of thin ice with the carp swirling the water underneath. Just something to think about while driving around out there.

There are thin spots on that lake.

Not so much a problem now with late ice but for sure with early ice.

I think it was last year a spot stayed open along the east shore just north of the access till about the end of Dec. Only thing I could think of was carp or bullheads. The lake did not do that this year.

3 of us were out on the NE corner, away from the parking lot, 3 tip ups out, no flags in 4 hours. We counted 11 vehicles coming out there at one time. Then a plane decided to land, buzzing by us. It was a zoo.

Is it somewhat calm out there during the week?

I was out on a Tuesday and there was probably 20 - 25 people out with the majority coming out early afternoon. Compared to the 80-100 people on the weekend, it is less busy.

my buddy has been driving by there to go to a job site every morning and afternoon and he stated that there are always quite a few peole fishing the lake and it has seen alot of pressure this winter!!

anybody know if somebody has plowed some roads out there?I wanted to head out there on sat but dont want to get stuck with the 2wd thanks -jigs