• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My buddy and I are looking to find some crappies this weekend in the Grand Rapids area. Anyone have any suggestions on some lakes that are producing? Thanks.

Champs

Lots of little guys in Pughole. I'd head out to Big Splithand. Some real nice ones in there and a good chance at some eyes in the same hole. Just try any lake in the area, find 30fow and start drilling holes. There's alot of little-known gems in that area.

Getting crappie guys to give up their hotspots is going to be a frusterating ordeal ..splithand used to be good to me I dont know if they are as big as they used to be when I used to fish it yrs ago. Go to deer lake and locate the big slabs that are in there and email me the gps coords!!!!!!

Didn't know there was much for crappies in deer. I guess there should be, plenty of water for 'em to hide in!!

theres huge pigs in deer ..I muskie fish on the lake ..ALOT and ive seen many of them sitting on beds in june! I have a friend whos parents live on deer and he did very well last year 13 to 15 inch slabs however good luck finding where they are suspended in the winter. also I dont know if its a good thing catching them in the spring ....taking out all those big females from one of the only spots they spawn could dwindle the population rather quickly!

I have a feeling I know where i'd target 'em in the spring, but yeah, finding 'em in the winter would be nothing short of a miracle. Not to mention the shady ice conditions out there, it seems that lake is the last one to freeze every year.

Also, Spider Lake can be a good bite at times. It's been a few years since I've been out there, but you can usually get on some decent fish, nothing too special but nice eaters. I did get one fluke out of that lake that was almost 15" several years ago, but that's very abnormal. Go to the deep water, 36' hole on the point south of the landing on the east side of the lake, I'm sure there'll be some perms out there.

I used to fish spider alot ..Im surprised theres still a decent crappie left in there. I read on here somewhere they are getting piiiiiiiiiiiiiigs up on the rainy id sure like to check that action out!

Always wear clean underwear, 'cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off. LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that has happened to me

King Lake and Balsam. they're off of scenic 7 about 25, 30 minutes from GR. look for them on DNR lake finder. type king in for the lake, and itasca for county. it should be the top one. i think it says closest town is taconite. also, maybe try balsam which is right next to it. if u can find them, there are plenty of big fish to go around in each lake.

You talking about the timberwolf thread? I don't think I was arguing with ya, I don't remember. Anyways, no harm no foul.

life=outdoors, you been on king the in the last two years? 3 years ago it was awesome, my go-to crappie lake. I don't know if you know anyone up there but a high school buddy of mine fished it out by himself. He called me one time bragging about filling up garbage bags with 11-13"ers during the spawn. He told me kept well over 1500 crappies that size in one year. I woulda called the b@$+erd in but it was several months later and nothing could have been proven. Anyways, it's as good as dead now, the last two years has just sucked out there. And to add insult to injury, I was the one that showed him the lake several years ago. Haven't talked to him since.

oh yea i have. all the time. almost every other weekend in the summer when i am up at my place on balsam. i fished there right around xmas this past yr. theres still fish in that lake, trust me.

i have a picture of wut i caught that night. how do u post them on here?

keeping garbage bags of crappies....sounds like someone i know! same people are the ones whining about where to catch crappies after they fish their spot out. thats just freaking ignorant!!

Ive read posts on this site for a few years,now I know you guys (fishuhalik and life=outdoors92) are just trying to help a guy out with spots, I know you realize that hundreds of people read these posts, but why must you give up spots so easily on here-get the persons email and tell them where to go if you want. Giving up bigger more common lakes is one thing but to talk about a couple little "gems" like these doesnt need to be done in the wide open internet for everyone to see.

who says we aren't just lying to make u think its a good lake, and we are secrelty going to different lakes smile and i would say that balsam and king are decent sized lakes. not many people fish them in the winter than u would think

I hear ya man but you know how it is on lakes in the cities and it does happen up here when word gets out. Thanks for the wink-wink. It should also be known that king is a walk in only lake and balsam has some weak ice on it

this is true about king. i know someone who lives on it so i just park in there yard. and balsam has the week ice by the 3 creeks. balsam creek, the one buy the resort, and the one that goes into the pughole

i do have a cabin up here. on balsam. i hunt (just ducks and partridge) and fish excessivley up there

Thats good to know. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime. Partridge huntin was good this year. Panfishin has been great as usual. As far as ducks go-I gave them up, lots more geese this year.

holy partridge fest this year!! i was up every weekend in october and the last in september.... i could've had a limit each weekend but i am not like that. i want some more for the next time i go. i had troubles finding the slab crappies from right after spawn till like mid august. the weeds just didn't grow fast enough i think.

ducks, well opener was garbage. always can depend on 3 or 4 mallards and your wood duck limit in the boat each morning that weekend, but nothin this year. we got lucky on MEA weekend that a north wind came in the night before. u could hear them sailin over head when we went out to the biffy the night before. limit of bluebills that next morning and a couple ring necks. and halloween weekend we nailed the ring necks. but your right, lots more geese than usual

Good job on the bills- I will have to let my dad know there is still some in our state. He talks of the good shoots they had on them 40 years ago on barwise lk and big winnie

are u sure it was barwise? and not marble? i fish barwise a ton, and always walk past when i take morning walks for partrdige and it doesn't seem to hold any ducks. maybe it use to. cause marble use to be the bluebill headquarters in minnesota. i got pictures from my grandpa and his buddies huntin it with stringers filled with them. the carpenters (people on it) have pictures of it too, and still hunt them on it

you are right he has mentioned marble also but come to think of it they fished barwise for snotrockets and shot ducks on buckman, his friends own a lot of the property around that one.

prolly the hienrichs (or something along those lines). barwise actually used to hold crappies and walleyes and a few trophy pike. bob barwise showed me a few pictures before he passed away a few years ago. someone must've stocked walleyes in there for a few years cause they need running water to spawn. i have seen a few monster pike wash up on the shorline too

you are exactly correct. danny has a place on barwise, my dad grew up with all them. what a small world!

is he in bobs old house, or is he on the west, steep shoreline where rajala sold some land off? well my place on balsam is the little slice of heaven that is on the balsam pughole. my grandpa finished it in 1950 i believe. the road along the east shore of barwise goes to Jim Marsh's place (the brown log cabin on the south end of the lake) and fork off to my familys place.