• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wanting advice about fishing small lake in owatonna

Hello I just moved back to minnesota and am living in owatonna as a kid I used to catch great size bass out of lake kohlmier in owatonna I have been going out all last week early mornign and caught a 14 ich eye lost about a 18-20 inch one at the bottom of the hole and missed 3 others but other then that am having no luck I am fishing right by the beach and found a spot that I had one hole in 5fow and the hole next to it in 7 fow I moved over 15-20 yrds and hit 11 fow in the shallower water I would bring weeds up with my bait at times so I feel its a good area with the dropoff at all I have heard of 1 or 2 20+ ft holes in the lake just dont know where they have the aeriation system going by the fishing pier and its open water around that other then that one day I have had no luck any tips or advice about where to try either closer to the aeriation or as close as I can safely get or if you know where the deeper hole is maybe that is the ticket.

I know alot of people dont fish it and I have even got a little [PoorWordUsage] from peopel for hitting it so hard but I just got a great feeling that I am gonna shock my friends and pull out a lunker or 2 out of there something tells me and I have seen a 4 lb eye caught out of there years and years ago so I know they are there dnr have stocked adult and fingerling walleye in there so I know they are there just dont know where if anyone knows anything about this lake that might help me I would appreciate it if you feel confortable emailing me my email is [email protected] thanks

Most of the walleyes are caught in winter. Keep after them I guess. You could sort through 1,000 sunfish and not find one keeper! There are some nice bass in there...Check out the area by the bridge in the spring...sometimes they cruise through there after opener looking for a meal.

13-14 ft. is the deepest you'll find anywhere in that lake & that would be in the North & N.W side. Sounds like you've had some fun though. L2f

thanks for the advice like I said I havent fished that lake in probably 15 years but I used to catch 3-5 lb bass regularly I would come visit my dad on the weekends when I was a kid and I would just walk that shoreline but I talked to someone out there yesterday that said years ago the lake died out its a shame to hear that cuz there was some great bass in there I guess the dnr were shocked to see the size of some of them but they are working on getting it back to a decent little family lake. I just go out there when I dont have a ton of time mainly cuz I would rather be on the ice then sitting on the house so hopefully I can get some luck again exept that one good day its been nothing I know what you mean about the sunnies gonna take my nephews out the next week or 2 I think they will have a blast

Thanks for the replies

Luckylimey

I to used to catch nice Bass out of ther consistantly as a kid, but it did have a bit of a winter kill off about 6-8 yerars back. I remeber walking around the shore after the winter kill off in the spring and seeing some dead fish thinking this cant be All of the fish that were in this lake. I visited the web site and the DNR still privately stocks it with a vireity of fish from fry to adults. I had a ice house out there a few years back and i never targeted bass during the winter because they (in my opinion) are a very inactive speices in the winter.

But the jist of my post is to tell you i agree it is a fun place to fish when crunched for time. Also to tell you i had very good luck fishing the northern pike on that lake/pond/puddle with shiners i never got skunked it was a blast.

P.S. Cabela's dose not have shiners but Johns bait and takle in faribualt has them and anything else you could ever need or want and his prices are great i sometimes wonder if can even make any money at all selling some of that stuff so reasonably.

• 8 years later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The lake was drained, killed off and restocked. The deepest hole is actually closer to the center of the lake slightly to the east and south.

It's a great lake to take kids and get after the small sunfish. Sight fishing for them with your children is a blast. A great way to get them into ice fishing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.