• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

I was out there today from 1 to 630pm it was slow at first but managed to catch 6 fish before 4pm then it was dead till I landed a 18inch walleye around 5pm! Did any one see a ford truck chasing a grey Subaru today on the lake? That mofo came blasting by my ice house around 3pm today.

I have never fished Medicine, I am a south metro type but for me the bite has got really slow. Others say they are doing ok but I guess I am not that good. Anyways I am feeling sorry for my son who really wants to get into some crappies. So you guys willing to share a limit or 2? I guessing if I can find a access I then look for the houses, drop a waxie a foot or 2 from the bottom between 2:00 and 5:00? Any other help would be great, don't do it for me do it for my son. Boy that should get at least one soft hearted soul. I don't expect all the details just a point in right direction.

Thanks

I have never fished Medicine, I am a south metro type but for me the bite has got really slow. Others say they are doing ok but I guess I am not that good. Anyways I am feeling sorry for my son who really wants to get into some crappies. So you guys willing to share a limit or 2? I guessing if I can find a access I then look for the houses, drop a waxie a foot or 2 from the bottom between 2:00 and 5:00? Any other help would be great, don't do it for me do it for my son. Boy that should get at least one soft hearted soul. I don't expect all the details just a point in right direction.

Thanks

If you find the dnr lake map there's a 30' hole in the northwest corner of the lake. There's crappies there.

Also I hear alot of good about the 40' hole straight out from hartys bait shop.

Well found lots of little ones just a few over 9 n 10. Where are the big crapies that used to spawn in the channel in french Park. or are 9 and 10s the big ones now. Got out about 2:00pm today could'nt get a second line down for the first 1/2 hour. marked tons of fish just no real size. 12 year old Daughter thought it was great.

love2cabin... i live very close to the lake and have been fishing it for a long time, if your looking to get into some good crappie action i would go out from the point on west medicine lake park. i fish anywhere from 22-26 fow and have good luck with the crappies. you should try fishing about 5-10 feet off the bottom because the crappies are suppended. i jig a blue or green demon with waxies and a minnows on the bobber. i hope this helps you get your boy on some fish

""Where are the big crapies that used to spawn in the channel in french Park. or are 9 and 10s the big ones now.""

Over the last couple years I've pulled about 75 fish out of this lake. All were crappies - all were between 6 and 7.5 inches.

I'm headed out later this afternoon. I was thinking about going out at Harty's. Anybody have a recomendation for depth or direction out of Harty's? Any help would be appreciated.

There's a 40 foot hole almost straight out from harty's. Can't miss it. There's a small town on top of that hole.

There's lots of crappies, but anything around 10 inches or bigger is hard to come by.

I was out last night fishing from about 5:00-8:30. Caught about 10 small crappies. All under 8. Threw em all back. Is anyone having luck catching keepers out of Medicine? I was in about 39FOW.

I have fished medicine for years,the crappies have a hard time reaching 10+ inches because there simply caught and harvested before they can get bigger, thats one opinion. There are some that avoid anglers and preditors allthought.I pulled about 6,10 and 11 inchers threw the ice this year so far.It seems the later it gets at night is better for big crappies. hows the walley bite out there?

caught a few eyes on the bottom of one of the mid lake humps at 4pm to 6pm. Nothing over 15 inches. Anyone getting into the bigger crappies?

has anyone also seem to be catching the bigger of the crappies at night? I have pulled some 10 and 11 inchers threw the ice after 6pm.

been catching lots of small crappies on medicine, couple years of growth is whats needed for them to be quality fish. IT is fun though, especially for kids. Any good walley biting?

Does anyone know if the crappies would bite in that 40' hole in the morning say 9am-12? I'm taking 3 kids under the age of 7 and only looking for action and could care less about size of the fish. If they will take down a bobber all the better.

If anyone could stear me in the right direction I would apperciate it.

I'm sure you will find fish out there in the morning...I've gone throughout the day and seem to have the same bite whenever I go

I had a good bite over the lunch hour when I was out there. The problem I had was getting the fish to go back down the hole. Seems if you bring them up to fast they get a little messed up. Also the bite was super light. You might want to consider some where a little more shallow. Just my thoughts.

Does anyone know if the crappies would bite in that 40' hole in the morning say 9am-12? I'm taking 3 kids under the age of 7 and only looking for action and could care less about size of the fish. If they will take down a bobber all the better.

If anyone could stear me in the right direction I would apperciate it.

Which 40 foot hole? I've fished a couple of 40 foot holes on medicine this year.

The crappies are about the same in both spots. Mainly 7-8 inch crappies. We caught 2 that were about 10 inches, but that was in two weeks of fishing.

If you look at the lake map there is a 40 foot hole in the northwest part of the lake. The fish were pretty much non-stop biting there last week. Our kids had a great time out there.

I have been catching small crappies all day and everywhere on medicine this year.As long as your in 28 FOW or deeper you can't keep them off your line, at times. The bigger ones have been rite off the bottom or 5 to ten feet below the ice.Also later at night they slow down but you can get some nice ones, 10-12 inchers. Last week from 6pm to 9pm we only caught 15 crappie, but 9 were 9 inches or better and 1 almost 13.Its fun but don't expect any trophies.Caught some O.K. sunnys mixed in with the crappie too.

Back in college, I fished Medicine on a regular basis. It was always a good crappie lake in terms of numbers, but I rarely got any size.

Looking to try Medicine tomorrow for the first time, where is the best place to drive on? And are people generally driving everywhere on the lake? Any places to stay away from?

Go out of hardy's bait, they will give you the heads up. Just stay away from the creeks and you will be fine. Theres plowed roads and plenty clumps of ice houses to fish by.Crappies are in 30 FOW or deeper in the holes. Walleyes on top or bottom of the humps. Northern on the weed line ,12 to 18 FOW.Same with sunny's.You can even catch sunny's mixed in with the suspended crappies. GOOD LUCK < LET ME KNOW HOW YA DO >

Isn't there a tournament going on there tomorrow, I think it holes for hero's or something, sounds like a good event, but it should be a zoo on the lake.

11 to 3pm "holes for hero's. 5$ entry fee and military person is free and there families. MEDICINE LAKE >> A good tourny.

I had a good bite over the lunch hour when I was out there. The problem I had was getting the fish to go back down the hole. Seems if you bring them up to fast they get a little messed up. Also the bite was super light. You might want to consider some where a little more shallow. Just my thoughts.

There are studies that show that nearly every crappie brought up from 30' deep will die after release, whether or not they swim away, even those that look to be ok. If they come up with bulging eyes and swollen bellies, mortality is certain, they already have are done for.

There are some lakes even in otherwise wide open states such as Texas, where releasing crappies in the winter is illegal since they all go down too far to survive release.

And that my friend is why there are so many big fat northerns in that lake. They sit under the ice around the deep holes and lurk waiting for the crippled crappies to eat. (i smell a fishing pattern here wink )

I hate to say it but I won't complain about having a few crappies get culled out there. There are so many little ones in there I feel that its tough for them to get big because of stunting (i suppose it doesn't help that once they reach 8" they are kept too).

Anyway, if you look in the right places its pretty easy to find big schools of fish in less than 25 fow out there (and yes even during the day). The fun thing is that they tend to be much bigger than the schools in the deep holes.

3 of us went out yesterday for a quick trip before the Super Bowl. We were out from 1-3 pm and caught 20 crappies and 1 perch. Most were 8-9 inches and one was a nice 10 incher. We were in between the 2 roads away from anyone, in 25-28 FOW. Most of the fish were 5-10 feet off of the bottom, but the bite was agressive. We were jigging with glow jigs and rattlers tipped with minnows.

Any reports on walleye out there, crappies are still many but small. This warm weather should change the bite, specially for them northern pike. I will submit my next fishing report from sunday's outing. GOOD LUCK !!!