• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

As I passed medicine on 169 today, I could see at least 6 or 7 trucks out there. Pretty good distance from the shoreline too.

Was out on medicine on saturday and found a nice crappie hole. Lot of them were pretty small with a few keepers mixed in but im not in the habit of keeping any. Caught about 25 myself. Next day went out with a buddy and after trying for some eyes with no luck went back to my crappie spot and caught another 20 between the 2 of us. Also saw some full size trucks out both days but that wont be me yet. Gonna try harriet tomorrow for eyes since i have a tip on a spot for some. Good luck and be safe to everyone

Ya I saw a few trucks out there too. If they stay where they were at I am sure they will be fine. At the north end where I have been fishing there was only 9.5" of ice as of Sunday so not really sure how that will work out for them. Hopefully the cold has added a couple inches for the.

Lots of cars and trucks out yesterday (although you won't see mine out there yet). I saw a suburban with a wheel house out of the ice fishing access yesterday. 9.5" of ice + 2" of frozen slush/pack snow on top of it.

Thinking about taking my young son out for his first time on Sunday. Done a ton of ice fishing myself over the years but with him, I am now triple checking the ice to make sure all is safe as can be. Pretty confident the ice is thick enough, just walking out... plan on taking him to the SW side out of the park and setting up a portable. Should I have any concern at all or could a guy be pretty confident walking out and it is as safe as it can be when spending time on the ice... or should I wait a bit...?

as cliche as it sounds and per the sheriff dept "Ice is Never Safe"

with that said,

having reports of 11-13" of ice and fullsize vehicles in some areas, i personally wouldnt hesitate to walk out at all.

i hear what ur saying tho esp with a lil one, and it is always better to be safe then sorry

you may wanna stop by or give Harty's a call to latest ice reports

Good luck and let us know how you do

Going out by hardys last night there was 13inches of ice. There are fish there you just have to find them. I havent found any at our usually spots we fish.

I fished west side of Medicine today, couldn't keep the lines in the water, crappies were on fire in the 3 hours i was out. All were around the 7 to 8 inch range a few bigger, but released them all. Was a great time

I was on the southwest side near the peninsula. It is about 8 inches of pure ice, and about an inch of snow.

Brand new here, but wanted to repost something that I posted on a different site yesterday.

Hi All,

I found some ice rods (around noon 1/5/13) in a carrier that looked like they fell out of a sled at the park on Medicine Lake right off of W Medicine Lake Rd...if you hear of anyone missing them, tell them to email me at [email protected]. I drove around to a bunch of people on the ice to see if it belonged to any of them, but no dice...if they are yours or a buddy's, let me know...I would rather do the right thing than keep them

Yes, unfortunately it is. Today I drove my Camry out but I knew it was an option for me. I am seeing Large pickups and SUV's that "just are not ready" for ice yet. But hey, that's just imho.

I was at 33 feet today and it was a nice thick 12 inches but not see thru. The other day I was fishing super slick ice that was actually see thru.

Well guys, nobody has met the bottom of the lake yet! So that's a good thing. This warm weather coming will keep the ice at a stand still. Next weeks sub zero temps will take care of any doubts about driving on any lakes in the state! Going out today, will report back. GOOD FISHIN !!!

Heard people are driving everywhere out there, is that true?

Yes its crazy out there. I was out yesterday of the ice fishing access on 10" of ice (13 with the white crud) and fools were driving everywhere cross country. There was:

an Explorer and a Jeep about 50' apart going about 30mph across the lake.

Two full size trucks parked 30' apart.

a Honda SUV driving around the lake for about an hour. Not fishing just driving around for fun.

My son and I (on my 4wheeler) had to leave when a full size truck came and parked right next to us. I felt like getting a bull horn and yelling at people.

For the fishing report. Drilled a lot of holes and didn't mark anything except in the deep pockets.

All right great report on the ice car truck rally that was going on, On Medicine Lake by people who were obviously there to report on ice truck traffic AND maybe someone might have also noticed a fish or two caught and might of mentioned it on here. Any Fish reports for Medicine

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Plenty of crappies for everyone. You might get a few monster 9" ones mixed in if your at it long enough. Some sunnies at random during the day. The usual. The crappies have been stacked up in the holes pretty good and will slide up a little more shallow during the evening.

Was out today, lots of fish on the vexlar. Got some to bite and cleaned 14 7-8 inchers. 13 inches of ice everywhere I checked. 38 ft seemed the most productive. Heard eyes are hitting in 18 to 22 ft on the shore line breaks. GOOD LUCK...

Yes its crazy out there. I was out yesterday of the ice fishing access on 10" of ice (13 with the white crud) and fools were driving everywhere cross country. There was:

an Explorer and a Jeep about 50' apart going about 30mph across the lake.

Two full size trucks parked 30' apart.

a Honda SUV driving around the lake for about an hour. Not fishing just driving around for fun.

My son and I (on my 4wheeler) had to leave when a full size truck came and parked right next to us. I felt like getting a bull horn and yelling at people.

For the fishing report. Drilled a lot of holes and didn't mark anything except in the deep pockets.

Hey, I think me and my buddy saw you on the West side on Saturday. You told us where the 42 foot hole was- thanks again. Could not believe the explorer and jeep driving right behind each other. Where you still around when the white SUV was cruising along at about 35-40 mph? We chanced it next to the smart guys and did decent. 10-15 keeper sized crappies between the two of us, put them all back.

Hey, I think me and my buddy saw you on the West side on Saturday. You told us where the 42 foot hole was- thanks again. Could not believe the explorer and jeep driving right behind each other. Where you still around when the white SUV was cruising along at about 35-40 mph? We chanced it next to the smart guys and did decent. 10-15 keeper sized crappies between the two of us, put them all back.

Yeah that was me but wasn't that on Sunday?? You're welcome. Yeah I marked those fish and was just about to fish them when that full size truck parked right next to us. So we moved to where you saw us and ANOTHER full size truck parked next to us. No I left after I talked to you.

I'll be out there again Friday around noon.

Was pretty slow for me on the lake tonight, got out a little late 5:30, hole hopped around, marked quite a few fish but few takers. Only caught a few smaller crappie, fished anywhere from 12-35.

Anyone know if the walleye are still biting o.k ? Ain't seen to many people on the shallow humps, maybe the shoreline breaks are still producing? Crappie seem to be every where, not too big though. This rain makes things sketchy out there. I'm waiting till the cold weather refreezes everything again before I head out. Appreciate any walleye reports, THANKS! - Its a ways up north but lake winni has been good for perch and eyes. I got a buddy who just got back and did very well. He headed out from dennys resort. -

You guys think the cold front affected the dink crappie bite? Thinkin of heading out after dark. 1st tim icing Medicine. Any tips appreciated. Oh and any areas to avoid?

All right great report on the ice car truck rally that was going on, On Medicine Lake by people who were obviously there to report on ice truck traffic AND maybe someone might have also noticed a fish or two caught and might of mentioned it on here. Any Fish reports for Medicine

See that's the chess game that is fish reports online. Either the bite is hot and no one is letting on to it so people don't crowd. Or the bite was really slow and the trucks were the most interesting thing going on.

Take your pick. smile

Trucks are fun

THIS made me LOL!

It can be a circus out there sometimes. I have a hard time being good and not drifting at least a little bit too. Just gotta take it easy though, if the ice is good, the speeds aren't too crazy and there is plenty of room between shenanigans and other people then whatever, have a little fun. Not real hot about it when they are doing 70 in and out of people fishing and stuff though. It's all about respect.

Back to fishing, it all depends on the location. There is always fish biting there it comes down to just finding them. I can say myself I have been missing the spots a little bit lately but this year started kinda late so it seems like fish are running a couple weeks ahead of where they are normally for me. Seems like deeper is a bit better right now. It has been a lot easier since I have stumbled onto this.