• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me some pointers about fishing this lake? I have a tournament coming up out there and I havent gotten a chance to fish it yet. Any help is appreciated...thanks guys!

I can't tell you THAT much because I just got gps mapping this year... but I have fished it 10 times about in the last couple years and I had my most success with big fish deep of the point in the main lake, pretty much directly across the lake on the public access using C-rigs with blue fleck powers worms, drop shot trick-worms and beavers, and cranks with bright colors. Also the pad and dock section adjacent to the point down to right as well as those docks between the pads can be very productive. Oddly enough the pads on the long skinny section in the nw most part of medicine. were not very production for me... and neither we're the two little arms in the south. I didn't mess with punching any milfoil or fishing in the southern main lake much.

The main lake is where its at IMO.

This lake has a lot of big bass, pike and the eyes are coming along. Top water frog in da pads - sometimes the pencil reeds hold them and mimic the above post. There's some good rock piles that draw all types of fish and can't forget the deep weedline.

Tournament is in the morning, so I'll let you guys know how I did! Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

hi there new here smile. Does anyone have any tips on finding bass out in the deep? I see a mention about points - how deep is the point that you are fishing? I've done pretty well fishing towards shore but have only managed small 2lb bass. Would like to catch a hog before summers end. Thanks smile

• 3 months later...

Fished the morning from 5 to 930...... Couldn't get a bite. Chucked raps on the flats while dark still and jigs tipped with minnows and worms, nothing. Marked a lot of big fish shallow too bc wind was blowing pretty hard into them all night. Then moved to transitions as the morning progressed, usual spots where have been very productive this fall, nothing. Changed colors and presentations and the depthfinder showed em down there, they were just not taking. Water temp was 38 and they brought the dock in from landing. River sounds pretty good after this outing

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at Harty's webcam and either there is someone ice fishing out there alone, or taking samples of ice depth. About an hour ago, there were 5 men, now leaving the one.

There were 2 on Lake Smetana here in Eden Prairie when I was out at lunch. There were 2 spots that were open last week.

Yup...according to the webcam there looks to be three people out there. After all that snow dump on the thin ice there is no way I would be walking on that lake just yet. I walked the edge on Saturday and no way is it ready due to the ice weakened by 12" of snow & slush.

Somebody well off shore on the cam right now.

With some single digit lows coming up, I think by the time Sunday rolls around (the first day I will be free to go fish) the bulk of the metro lakes should be fishable, I am thinking...

Just have to decide if I am driving over to Medicine / Tonka, or going north/east of the city...

Looking out at the lake via the camera, is that open water to the far right? It looked very open a few days ago. It might be iced over, but only like no more than half an inch at the most. Dangerous I believe.

Guys with portables on the lake today.

I took a hike on the lake startgin fro the north side (from the park). Nice day to out and about. Not fishing today...but maybe I'll have enough time for that soon. Once you get away from shore the ice is like glass and you can see down into the bottom in places. Pretty cool looking!

IT is glare ice condition out there so make sure to bring your ice creepers. Really slippery. If no snow hits for a day or so I think ice skating could be a blast out there.

Was out there 6 hours yesterday and 4 this morning....worked hard to catch 6 crappie yesterday and today I went to the same spot; the fish were there but wouldn't bite this time around. Mostly fished in water over 30 ft. Ice was solid at 5.5+...no luck in the shallows with tip ups.

Fished out on the west side of the lake for only a few hours 3-5:30 pm marked quite a few fish, depth was 20 ft of water but getting them to bite was a little tough. Most were suspended 12-16ft. Only pulled out 4 7 inch crappie.

Ice was good, about 6 inches of clear black ice and about 2 inches of white ice.

Had a good time testing out the new gear will be out again soon.

Looks like the parking lot is too far from the ice, and people have started parking right on the lake. Hard to believe that extra 50' is worth risking your vehicle. How quickly we forget: Prior Lake, Dec 26th, 2005.

Medicine Lake has no fish. I've been trying it....depth, contours, everything. I think I have to move on to another lake. Unfortunately, I live near Medicine Lake. It's for the best.

Was out on the west side of medicine again today only for a few hours, decided not to setup a shack today and move around. Did not mark a lot of fish but did catch a few small perch and a crappie, no live bait just jigging.

I live close to medicine as well so it is quick and easy, but heading to another lake new years day

There were some full size trucks and cars out there today, a little early for me for that.

Today I was in the SW side and saw a couple SUV's about 50 yards out next to their hubs and houses. I could not believe it. I drilled 8 inches of pure ice, but it had cracks and what not. I thought I was going to witness a tragedy.

It just blows my mind that there is even a discussion on vehicles on the ice right now. Is my first hardwater season granted so I am a little cautious regardless of thickness but even if I was a seasoned ice angler.... well NO WAY would I do that so early.

Mascot- you have any luck or are you giving up on Medicine for now? I checked out Nokomis last night and marked some action in 16 FOW. Got one (my first fish in ice withing city limits!) 7" Crappie around 9:45 FYI. Ice was almost 10". Also I noticed you mentioned the cracks in the ice.... with the ice being over 6" how much of a concern is that? I know there are a lot of variables but generally speaking. I am only going out to the first break and not going any deeper than 20'.