• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sugar Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FishSystem

• RumRiverRat

• KMR85

• expl

I was out there with a buddy that lives on there last night. We drove out and we measured about 15 inches and that was around the deeper hole in 45 ft of water where he said it was one of the last areas to freeze on that side of the lake. We were trying to find the crappies but only got 4. Its pretty rough coming out of the access though. There are some really deep ruts in the slush from some 4 wheeleres and sleds and its froze hard now. It will test your shocks a little.

thanks for the info. I know the crappies are hard for me to find. There are good size ones in there though.

• 1 month later...

Well I tried Sugar lake last night. (02/25/10)

We tried the drop-off straight out from the North-East landing where we normally catch pan-fish in the summer.

Not a bite- and did not see one fish on any of our Vexilars.

daytime in the catails, is what I heard. Might try it out, next week, but other good choices too where you can keep more than 5 crapps. I heard they can be had in the shallows. I mean SHALLOW! like 2-3 ft. you should be able to spit on the catails, literaly. Crapps in the extreme shallows, hiddin' from them hog pike and muskie. If I try it, I'll let ya know how it went. Do the same if you get out there. Later, and good luck.

Fishsystem,

We hit up Pleasant 02/27/10.

We fished a countour that that goes from 15 ft- 20 ft- then drops off to 30 sort of near the middle of the lake.

There was an abundance of Perch and Northerns but no other panfish or walleyes.

I read your post about LOTW and your girlfriends first trip. That is nice to see.

I also took my wife up there for the first time 2 weekends ago. We hammered fish in 33ft off Pine Island. She caught a 29.5'' 10 lb walleye that is going on the wall.

Do you make any late ice trips to LOTW?

We have our best times early and late- normally the first weekend in April/late March.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Hey Gator, good luck to you too. Yeah I try and get up to LOW late, usualy after the season closes for statewide, and still open up there. Haven't been up for a while except last week. I did go up alot for first ice (november), but I am jinxed with harsh weather everytime. Last time we rode out on atv's maybe 1-2 miles out from pine island and fished on 8 inches. STRONG wind, and cold. Wind chill on ice was about -75 degrees. hard to put a minnow on when your hand keeps freezin to the reel! Slaughtered 'em though every first ice trip up there. Come to think of it... only had 1 trip to LOW where we didn't get limits.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been out of the access on Cty Rd 7 lately? How is the ice there? I know it was getting kind of bad on Friday when I was out.

I talked to my buddy today and he said that there were still people driving out of it today but he said he wouldnt take his truck out of there anymore because the creek next to the access was opening up. We were out there Saturday night and it was pretty rough then. Lost about 5 inches of ice on the main lake between wed and saturday.

Was thinking about going out there in the morning thanks for the info. I guess I will be bringing the atv. How has the fishing been? Was going to try a few spots out from that access. thanks

Have fun out there in the zoo. There were about 30 trucks out there last friday when I drove by. Not my kind of fishing.

• 2 months later...

My buddy and I wanna catch some nice northerns tomorrow. I am thinking of going to sugar lake. I live in Saint Cloud. Can someone 1) tell me how to get to the good (not steep) access 2) maybe not give away there secret spot but give me some ideas. This would be greatly appreciated.

Fish the finger out from the south access.

Fish the underwater point that comes from the North side of the lake at the entrance to the bay that the NE access is on, also fish the point that is the extension of the finger of land due south of there.

Inside turn on the weed line in the south bay on the east side, that breakline that follows that shore can be good as well.

Jointed Depth Raiders work well when trolled in the summer.

No edit button?

No idea which access is the steep one.

Use the MN DNR Lake Finder to see the areas I am talking about.

The north access I guess is pretty steep from what I've heard. I have never been to this lake so can you possibly give me a more general idea on these spots? Thanks for you help I really appreciate it.

Just look for the weed line and start fishing.

The Lake Finder will show you everything I was talking about.

Pick your favorite Pike lure and start casting or trolling, there is a pike behind every weed practically.

To get to the "big" access, drive through Clearwater and stay on 24 for about 7 miles? I think. There's a greenhouse and a small bar/restraunt on the left. Go down that dirt road and through the stop sign. Past the stop sign there's a little winding road with a farm or 2 on it. The access will be on your left as you pass the farm(s). It's still pretty steep and watch your trailer tires as not to back them off the edge of the concrete. I've heard a couple people lost an axle doing that. As far as northerns I have caught a few there. The biggest being 28" on The north end of the lake near the channel from Limestone. I caught the same 26"(2007) and 27"(2008) northern two years in a row near the south access on the same daredevil. That was kinda neat I thought. Couldn't mistake her as she had a nice scar on her tail.

The south access is steeper than the north access. You also have to watch the blow hole, from power loading.

What about bass on Sugar Lake? I have never been on the lake but I have a tournament coming up on it soon. Where would you look for bass in early June?

What about bass on Sugar Lake? I have never been on the lake but I have a tournament coming up on it soon. Where would you look for bass in early June?

Where you typically look for bass in early June, if they are not there then look somewhere else. wink

I have heard there are lots of pencil reeds in Sugar. Would that be a good starting point?

The south access is steeper than the north access. You also have to watch the blow hole, from power loading.

Ahhh, I see it's time for the annual FM Powerloading Debate again. Was wondering why it took so long. wink

I run a 690 ranger, I almost never need to powerload. Power loaded 1 out 25 times loading, at most its an idle load. Back the trailor in enough to have the bunks under the surface.

I'm with Jim on this one, just put your freakin trailer in the right depth and idle it on. whats the problem?

I'm with Jim on this one, just put your freakin trailer in the right depth and idle it on. whats the problem?

Power Loading is so much easier and makes you look cool!

Duh!

whistle

Oh, kool is releasing big fish (bass, walleyes or pike) at the ramp while others are drewling over the size of the fillets swimming away. grin

Quick question for anyone. Are there bigger bass in Sugar. Went out there last Saturday and did really well, but nothing over 15". Just wondering if there is a chance for bigger fish. On a side note, lots of guys throwing for muskies Saturday morning.

Quick question for anyone. Are there bigger bass in Sugar. Went out there last Saturday and did really well, but nothing over 15". Just wondering if there is a chance for bigger fish. On a side note, lots of guys throwing for muskies Saturday morning.

Ahhh no, I have never caught a bass over 16" in that lake, I gave up on it along time ago, to many people fishing Muskies and no big bass. There are about 6 lakes within 5 or 6 miles that are tons better for bass than sugar