• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Alexander Fishing Reports

I'm heading up to Lake Alexander this weekend to do some fishing. Anyone know of any current ice or fishing conditions on that lake. I would love to be able to drive out there!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sander v.

• Phunnyfarm

• shamalex72

• eyenutt

15" as of Friday. You should be fine on the west end. I don't fish the east that often so I couldn't help you there. Stop in at lakeview store. They should be able to help you with the bite.

The east end had near 15'' as well. There was a small sized pickup out from the landing however not too sure if anything is plowed out.

Thanks for the update guys. I think I'm going to head out there tomorrow night or Thursday to scout it out a little bit and see if I can find some fish. Maybe I'll see you guys out there.

My dad was out the last couple nights. Once from the east end and once from the Cushing access. He said ice at the Cushing access varied from 8-11 inches, with a little water and slush. The east end had a little more ice and not as much slush, only hit a couple small pockets. Used 4 wheelr both times.

I habve been fishing the east side quit often fished this past weekend the bite dyed right off. not sure where they went not sure if the fish are biting on the west side let me no how you did

Went out on Tue. Morning. Ice was 11inches in the house we were in. We caught 6 to 12 eyes, all 10 to 15 inchers. We were out from about 6AM to 10AM, fish were finikie. They were right on the bottum. It was a pretty good morning. Keep you posted next time I go out.

Does anyone know how much snow is on the lake? I take it no one is driving trucks anywhere out there yet.

CRK

What depths were you fishing in? I'm heading out there tomorrow. I'm leaving St. Cloud around noon and should be up there by one o'clock. If I don't hear from ya, I'll let everyone know how I did tomorrow night when I get back. Happy fishing everyone.

Fished from 4 till around 8 on the east side. Had one bobber popped while it was still light out. Didn't mark another fish! 20 fow

Fished Alexander tonight from about 3 o'clock in the afternoon until about 9 p.m. Fished in 18 FOW off the southwest shore. Lots of activity right away until the sun went down then the bite came to a complete top. Although lots of fish on the vex early on were only able to catch three perch. Had a nice fish on and took the line once I had him almost up to the hole. Missed one other bite but other than that, really really slow. A good 15" of ice under about 13" of snow. Once we drilled our holes we had about 2-3 inches of water came up. Fished in a portable and boy was it cold. We walked but saw multiple other people driving around out there in full size trucks. I'll be out there again this weekend and will find a place to drive to where I want to fish. Does anyone know how these guys are getting on the lake? There I tried the west landing but the road isn't plowed out past the two points. Any advice??

Was up at the cabin this weekend and there was approx 16" of ice. There was PLENTY of full-size truck traffic out on the lake too. From what I could tell, all the slush froze up in the past week or so, because I couldn't find any.

That should change with the current warm up forecasted though!

Fished today much shallower than I would typically do, 13 fow. Caught two fish, 20'' and a 17". Other than those too fish didn't mark much else.

Does anyone know how these guys are getting on the lake? There I tried the west landing but the road isn't plowed out past the two points. Any advice??

Probably out of castaway on 3. Be careful they have areators on right in front of the restraunt.

I have yet to try the western access through Thoroughfaire Bay, but the other accesses are up and running providing you have some clearance, and four wheel drive would'nt hurt as well. Near Haystack tonight didnt encounter much snow and no slush to boot. Has anyone done much for jigging thus far? Early on we had some success but lately you literally watch fish leave the vexilar with even the slightest of darting activity.

Rented a house from lakeview store this weekend on Saturday from 2pm-10pm. Not only did we not get a single bite, we didn't even mark one fish on the vexilar. We accessed the lake on the west side public access and fished right in that bay there in about 17 FOW. Tried multiple different approaches but nothing worked. Lots of people driving all over the lake. I've tried quite a bit of holes all over that lake and the least amount of ice that I've found was 15". There is however a lot of snow and slush so make sure you have 4 wheel drive if you're going to drive out there. I saw a few different people get stuck out there. I did talk to a few guys saying that they were catching a few eyes in about 25-30 FOW.

• 3 weeks later...

We were heading up to Alexander this weekend and was looking for an update on ice conditions. Wondering if there is still any issues with slush or snow, or if its pretty easy to get around with 4 wheel drive or 4 wheeler. Any info would be great.

Also do you know if anyone is driving on by the Castaway?? Or is it better to use the east or west accesses as I heard mention of an aerator next to there.

Thanks for the help

I drove across from Haystack area to the east end access yesterday. I was pulling the fish house so it was a little tough in a few spots. With out the house it would have been no problem.

I havn't been over by the Castaway, so I'm not sure if they are driving over there.

I was out tonight and found no slush or snow which I couldnt get through. Saw one other vehicle as I was leaving the lake. Did everyone just quit? Caught one missed one fish in some very shallow water. Before the sun went down i was able to mark a fish and look down the hole to see a walleye nearing 26" but couldnt induce a bite. Pretty neat nonetheless. Wish i had some shiners

I have been fishing Alex 3-4 times per week. Haven't had any trouble driving wherever I want with pickup. Fishing has been spotty see plenty of walleyes on the camera and vexilar but very finicky.They come up to the bait and just look at it and in some cases chase it around a bit and then move on. I have tried every color bait and presentation I can think of but haven't been able to establish a pattern. morning seems to be better at least for me. did manage to get a few nice fish 18-19.5" and a few small ones that went back just under 14". the fish look really nice and health but are not fat by any means and when I cleaned them their bellies have been empty.

Thanks for the info guys, that makes me feel a little more optimistic that we can at least move around up there, unlike last year. Eyenutt do you mind if I ask how deep your were fishing?? Or does anyone else have some advice. Its always nice to have a starting point, if I had to guess I would think deeper would be better right now but maybe I am wrong. Any help would be great.

Thanks again guys.

Also what time would you say the prime time is for mornings in your opinion?? Is it mainly a sunrise bite, or do they keep biting for awhile after sunrise? Or is it better to be out there at like 5:00am? Sorry for so many questions but we only make it up there once a year for a few days so any info is helpful.

Thanks

I have my permanent house just off the edge of the weeds of some mid lake structure in about 16' and on a steep break that drops to about 35'. going out today with the portable to poke around a little deeper to see if I can find some more active fish. will let you know if I find anything worth reporting.

I haven't been able to establish any kind of pattern. One morning just before 6 am I got one line down and before I could get the second one down the first bobber was under the ice. The next morning I got out there just after 5 am and didn't get a bite until 7:30. Yesterday was out early and only caught 1 fish at 8:00. stayed until 10:30 and still was seeing fish on the camera but no takers. Evening start to see fish about 4:30 until about 6:00 or so. haven't had any luck after 6:00 but have talked to some that have.

Thanks for the info Eyenutt, we are heading up there tonight and fish through the weekend, I'll let you know how we do. Hopefully we can locate some active fish.

I was out all last weekend, and the conditions on the ice are good for driving sled/4-wheeler. There is snow, but it's pretty easy to navigate on.

I did take the sled by the castaway, and it does look like it has seen a LOT of traffic, despite the bubblers being 10 feet away!

Ice is 20"+ though now, so the access should be fine.

Took the portable out on Tuesday afternoon. Tried the bottom of the break in about 30' just out from where my perm is. saw some really nice eyes on the camera just before it got too dark but they weren't interested in what I had to offer. I know there is probably more active fish out deeper but don't like pulling them up from there, to hard on the fish IMO. Father in law is coming Friday AM so we will hit it pretty hard this weekend for eyes and then I think I will concentrate on the crappies after that. From what I've been hearing they are starting to pick up a little.

Hit the ice around 5:30am. Tried some mid-lake structure north of Duck Nest, lots of rock bass. Move just to the west of Duck Nest, more rock bass. Moved to a spot between Soldiers and the Castaway before dawn, got a 13" walleye. He went back in the hole. Once it was light the perch moved in.