• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Bite is still good in alouiz and nemadji but the channel bite is starting up as is the SS.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Been bypassing the bay and heading out the south entrance lately. Haven't been able to find any Walleyes. The dang by-catch (Silver's) have been getting in my way grin

I hope to make it out Monday afternoon and Tues.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen many, a lot of guys headin out to the big lake now...

I fished Flats Last Friday. 10 Walleyes, all 15" and down. Nothing Spectacular. Cranks & Crawlers

fished monday down by the plant, 4 walleyes 17,18,19,20, 2 20 in. cats, 1 30 in northern. 3 crappies, perch and rock bass not bad for 2 hours work. used gold jig and worm. tracker 185, all put back.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a place a guy can get a map of the Harbor/River in 1 ft contours?? I have the lakemaster chip, but I am looking for like a laminated lakemaster map or something like that...I have googled it and I can only find maps for like LOW,URL and other big lakes...Any help would be awesome I'm hoping to make this upcoming ice season better for me on the harbor...

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty slow for mwah. Finding a few, but the numbers are out in the lake. Have had some nice size pike though, and a few other species too

Me and the GF hit the river today for the 1st time in the canoe, and found some nice crappies...The GF got her new PB 12.5"...It was nice looking at the Marcum again.. full-39841-36921-wp_20130917_010.jpg

Yup its that time of year where I will change up from eyes to crappies on the river. Cold nights and mornings mmake for great crappie fishing.

Are the crappies in the bay? Also, are the walleyes just in the Superior entry? I was heading out to the big lake the other day and decided to pass through the Wisc side and alot of fish were on the graph inside the entry. Thought they could either be salmon or walleye

• 2 weeks later...

Lookin to slay sum muskies this weekend.... mmmmmmm sooo good on the grill! But one of.my fav spots i see has some rope of buoys and a barge sitting there and seems to be blocked off...by wlssd... anyone kno whats goin on there?

Lookin to slay sum muskies this weekend.... mmmmmmm sooo good on the grill! But one of.my fav spots i see has some rope of buoys and a barge sitting there and seems to be blocked off...by wlssd... anyone kno whats goin on there?

They are back filling that area w/ dredge from other parts of the bay.

they are trying to fill in the area so its around 6 ft deep so more plants will grow in the area and it can an area for fish spawning.

they are trying to fill in the area so its around 6 ft deep so more plants will grow in the area and it can an area for fish spawning.

I thought it was a mock oil spill drill?

Whats gonna spawn in muck and sand...carp? Sounds like wasted effort. There are plenty of shallow areas on the river already.

I agree 100%. Waste of money. Its already shallow there. If weeds wanted to grow there they would have. How about spending that $ and dredging the shallow transportation routes on the river? Man now that's a idea! DUH!!! Or maybe upgrade the shallow western boat ramp at Rices landing? Put cleaning stations and garbage cans at ALL landings? I just don't understand the DNR at times. These are all things that have been presented to the DNR over the years.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen. Many of our favorite game fish utilize shallow, vegetation covered areas for either parts or the majority of their lives. Species like northern pike utilize these areas to spawn, muskie fingerlings use these areas as a rookery, and I would bet even our beloved walleyes use this sort of habitat to either feed or hide.

After altering the river for the the last 100 plus years, it's good to see dollars spent to correct some of the previous wrongs and improve the river system most of us enjoy.

I do agree about the garbage cans at all the launches and even a fish cleaning station would be nice, but these issues could easily be addressed by local organizations (MI, Duluth Charter Fishing Guides, Western Lake Superior Trolling Association, etc.). With a limited budget like the DNR has, I'm glad to see them spending it on projects that improve habitat rather than just picking up the tab on a dozen garbage cans.

Anyways, back to staring out the window at this lovely weather we are having!

Meh, I still think its a waste. The river is full of shallow areas like that. Most of the deep areas are where the channel has been dug. If anything I think it would help to dig out some of those real shallow muck bays.

Any of you guys do any fishing in november? I might have the chance to hit the river on deer opener. Just wondering which is a better starting point, the harbor or upstream in the boyscout landing area?

Boyscout wont be usable until at the very earliest next opener. They had to stop work on the over hall because they found some old pilings that they have to figure out what to do with.

Best spot to put in now is Clyde Ave. Landing just above the Spirit Lake Marina. Good fishing as soon as you get out past the walls.

Crappies and eyes are hitting big chubs or smaller light pike. If your only after walleye try lindy rigging some shiners or big light pike minnows.

I'll be targeting whatever is biting. I assumed though that walleyes and muskies would be the most likely takers though smile I'll probably use minnows mostly, but will give tackle the ol' college try as well. Crappies would be awesome! I have a WI license too, aren't some of the crappie spots considered WI waters...is it pokegama bay?

I believe its border waters so you can have a MN license and fish any of them bays (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...Ya pokegama is good for crappies, usually the crappies are always nice too 10.5-12.5", always fun...