• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Great info below and newer reports are on the pages that follow.

Subscribe to receive these St Louis River Fishing Reports - Click Here Please

I'm new to the morgan park area. I have fished all over the northland, but the river is new to me. Anyone willing to share some tips on the river area around spirit lake? I just need a rough idea where to start. Its close to home and would like to get out there. Thanks

Good Luck Fishing

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Try off of Boyscout landing until you know the river much better. I wont send you anyplace around spirit lake if you dont know the river. Lots of iffy ice in different areas and some may not be sfae.

I went out off of the boyscout for a couple hours today. The Ice was pretty thick. I would say 9" or so. I didn't have any luck but I am pretty new to the river still. There were a few other portables out there too. Not sure if they got anything but I did hear some excitement once from their direction. Is any of the harbor area ice safe yet? I would like to try some different areas but only if I know they are reasonably safe.

I did notice a few shacks off the airport on Saturday night but it didn't look like that there were any machines out there at all..... everyone must be walkin right now..

Jar Jar

Sherpa we have been fishing the bay off park point for a few weeks with mixed results. About 8-9" of ice.

Does anyone fish around Spirit Lake in winter? Map shows a couple spots that are 8 - 12 ft water..... Was thinking that might be allright spot.Just wondering if anyone has been in that area.

Merry Christmas Everyone and Good Luck fishing

I have fished that area many many times but if your not familier with the river in the winter I would stay away until later on when we have more ice. Many a people have dropped threw in that area. Even walking there are spots in that river bend that arent safe.

Besides theres much better fishing in the harbor off Park Point right now.

Its been spotty and as usual its 1st light until about 8:30 am then a 3 to just after dark bite. Some nice fish have been being caught but havent heard of any huge numbers being taken.

I was out of Boyscout last night and got skunted. I talked to a few others and it was the same for them. The night before there was some caught. So sounds like the river is really hit and miss right now and probally more towards the slower end. Anyone been up to boulder?

I've heard everyone and their cousin has been up at boulder with mixed results. Seems like everywhere about now is about the same.

was out on the bay this morning. pretty slow. the CG is still cutting ice so be careful if you go near the channel. i had 8 to 10 inches of ice.

Ya be very careful when that cutter is still working. It can break the ice all the way to shore. Believe me I learned the hard way a few years back. eek

Wheresthefish I have been out on the bay several times. I like to get away from the crowds so usually will either snowmobile or walk out from areas away from others. Once everyone starts driving wheelers, sleds and later vehicles you have to get away from the crowds. Especially in that shallow water all that noise drives them out of that area.

Be careful going out off park point next couple of days. With the cutter busting the channel this morning and the strong east winds it was starting to crack and bust up some by shore next to park point. There were spots that were a foot to two feet wide that we had to cross to get off.

Ya be very careful when that cutter is still working. It can break the ice all the way to shore. Believe me I learned the hard way a few years back. eek

Wheresthefish I have been out on the bay several times. I like to get away from the crowds so usually will either snowmobile or walk out from areas away from others. Once everyone starts driving wheelers, sleds and later vehicles you have to get away from the crowds. Especially in that shallow water all that noise drives them out of that area.

haha yeah that ice was rumbling this morning. Pretty cool to watch tho. After the cutter went thru this morning like OR said, there were a few cracks 4 to 5 inches wide near shore.

I went out tonight around spirit island. I had trouble finding deep water. I was in 3- 4 feet most the time. I did finally find 6 1/2 feet so I dropped anchor. It was so windy tonight. Well gl luck to everyone this Christmas season.

Merry Christmas Everyone

I didn't catch anything, but I need to scout around more and find a good 10 foot hole. I think I was close, when I came home and looked at map I couldn't of been to far off. Anyway I got all winter to figure it out. That is what makes this sport so fun is the hunt in a new spot.

Merry Christmas Everyone,,,, Safe driving

Saw one portable house out in the harbor tonight. Set up shop about 3/4 of the way to the channel. Heard the ice was moving like waves yesterday though.

went out this evening and had 12 inches of good ice. no snow or slush at all which was nice to see. Just dont venture to the duluth side if the rowing club. there was open water there over the weekend, it is iced up now but i bet it is only a inch or two thick.

did anyone get out this weekend>? pretty slow today for me, i can imagine it was for most with the weather we are having.