• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Great info below and newer reports are on the pages that follow.

I'm new to the morgan park area. I have fished all over the northland, but the river is new to me. Anyone willing to share some tips on the river area around spirit lake? I just need a rough idea where to start. Its close to home and would like to get out there. Thanks

Good Luck Fishing

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

People are fishing the river right now because everytime one drives over the Bridge all they see is a hundred or so portables lined along the channel and how convenient it is to get to with little or no driving. I've been fishing the river for over 50 years before they had any restriction on it from one end to the other. It's always produced nice fishing if you knew where to go. Back than there was very few fishing it. I grew up on the river bank trapping and fishing just went out my door to get in the boat as a kid. I would like to know how many of you out there are being piggies hitting the river morning and night dragging fish home that's what hurting it more than anything IMO. Check your freezers and count the Limits.

I asked about fishing around spirit island? I was was not familiar with the ice conditions and had never tried fishing there in winter. Actually all the hype on this thread has not even been about that area. In fact I only see a few guys out there compared to the harbor area. The fishing can be just as good to if you spend enough time out there. I have spent at least 4 days a week out there this winter. This is my first winter dedicating all my time to the river. I have learned very much and hope to carry it over to next ice fishing. I do have some knowledge of the river besides ice fishing though. I started this thread in hope of talking about the spirit island area, cuz was not very familiar with that area in winter. Sense starting this thread I have learned very much. Plus, One guy I was fishing next to out there pulled in a 31" hog

Good Luck all you St. Louis River fisherman and I'm sure there will be many more winters of fun out there. Keep your ballast water in your fish house please.

some poor folks in a green portable had a group of people pull up & set up shop rite next to em right at magic hour.otherwise there was only one other portable out there.alot of local bozo hooligans going about 60mph out there whippin lewies(donuts).gonna try the bay tomoro hoping everyone will be at home doin the valentine thing or at pike lake.also, the ice there was pretty thick at about 2 ft or so but be careful if you drive.never trust river ice.

That was me in the green shack. Glad someone else saw this. Two of the rudest groups of people I have seen in my life in one day. First, a group of 6-7 guys in pathfinder with no auger began using the holes I used to check depths around my shack. Second, a guy in a green 90's chev with a white topper parks his truck and begins using the hole I just pulled my tip-up out of that is literally 15ft from my shack!!! Pulled up the lines just as the sun was setting. Who in their right mind would think that this is ok to do?? As fatfinger said it was me, him, and one other guy in sight and these people feel the need to do this. Disgusting.

I know all about that. Seems like no matter how far you get away from the crowds come prime time your swallowed up in a city of houses. crazy

Good thing is now with the bite slowing down there arent nearly as many people out there.

It is sad how people just flock towards others it happens to me almost everytime out there especially on the weekends...why would you even want to be that close to others...saturday we set up about 100 yeards from the clostest shack and it was only us two. By 4pm there was 15 trucks/cars within the area...just nuts

Thats part of the reason why I will be fishing above the bridge for the next few days. That and thats where the fish should be by now.

Steve, how comfortable are you going out off of McClain's landing or the Arrowhead Pier landing and then traveling to the flats in the area? I know the area well. I'm just a little reluctant to trust the ice around the channel(s). Any advice?

You could go out of Arrowhead and go up to the flats. Lots of folks fishing in the Arrowhead area already. If my sled wasnt busted I would be heading that way as well.

If you have a sled I would go for it. Let me know if you need a second.

Ya, Steve, I do need someone to pull my sled. Thanks for offering!

Now thats funny!

If my sled worked there are all sorts of nice breaks and humps a guy can work in the Arrowhead Flats area. Most too far to pull by hand too with the snow we got now.

Oh well Im trying to get the sled fixed ASAP but with work, working the boat show and fishing its last on the priority list right now.

This morning was ok. 5 fish. All but 1 were in the 15"-19" range and 1 was 21". Still not a bad morning. Off the ice by 9am. Sure was bright and warm out there and even nicer now. I wish I didnt have to work this afternoon.

Ill be working for a rep group that handles Gary Roach, Lamiglass Rods, Stowmaster nets, Walker Downriggers etc. Stop by and say Hi. Ill be there Wed/Thurs nights and part of Friday and maybe some of Sat.

Optimus.....

That was my group. Had a group skiing trip that week but our group decided to fish instead. Been reading this forum for awhile so wanted to try out the area.

First of all, we are from the metro so coming up here and fishing the area is new. Wanted to try the bay area for the first time. Tried park point but no luck just two small ruffes. Then came down the the river to give it a try before calling a night, but nothing.

Second, sorry if we fished close to you. Just wanted to check the depth of the river. Plus was getting dark too so we just posted that area. Out of my group, only two ice fish the rest are first timers and wanted to try. We wasn't as bad as the pick up truck. He came right up to your door step and park. Again sorry.

Last, taking first timers out was fun. Should of seen the reactions on their faces when the ice was roaring. Funny

Just out of curiousity, if one was to use small panfish jigs with euros, would you be able to catch ruffes left and right until you got sick of them? I only ask because someday I'd like to fish out there, and bring my wife along. She'll only ice fish if they're jumping out of the hole crazy So I'm thinking if the ruffe can keep her busy, I can take a stab at the walleyes smile

Just out of curiousity, if one was to use small panfish jigs with euros, would you be able to catch ruffes left and right until you got sick of them? I only ask because someday I'd like to fish out there, and bring my wife along. She'll only ice fish if they're jumping out of the hole crazy So I'm thinking if the ruffe can keep her busy, I can take a stab at the walleyes smile

Yes if you use small panfish stuff and waxies you can catch them. Make sure you kill them, dont put them back in the water. Oh and make sure they are ruffies and not small wallies. wink Believe me some people dont know the difference yet.

Northlander- when did you start doing anything with Jeff V. and Gardner sales?

I think its been about 5 years now. 1st year doing the Duluth Show with Jeff though. How do you know Jeff and the crew?

Phil good luck on LOW. Catch a hawg and send me pics.

Do we know eachother? Send me a e-mail and we can discuss this outside the forums.

I caught a ruffe once, was actually a pretty cool looking fish, but yeah, they wouldn't be going back in the river mad. Does anyone know their nutritional value as a forage to gamefish compared to perch?

Species and Origin: The ruffe is a small European member of the perch family. Ruffe are primarily bottom feeders, preferring dark environments where they can hide from predators. Ruffe rarely grow bigger than 5 inches, although the sharp spines on their gill covers, dorsal and anal fins make them difficult for larger fish to eat. The ruffe is native to central and eastern Europe. They were introduced into the Duluth harbor within ballast water discharged from ocean-going ships around 1985.

Impacts: In Europe, the ruffe is a pest species in waters it has invaded. Ruffe have shown explosive population growth and have had harmful impacts on native species and functions of aquatic ecosystems. Ruffe grow rapidly and can reproduce in their first year. In the St. Louis River near Duluth, females can lay between 45,000 and 90,000 eggs a year. Populations of yellow perch, emerald shiners, and other forage fish caught in survey trawls have declined significantly as numbers of ruffe have increased in the St. Louis River.

from dnr website

ruffe are way below bullheads even. hows the bite been. i know its slowing down and all that. any advice how to fight a fish tomorrow? (catch and release)