• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

My vote is to dump this thread...it is doesn't make sense to share this amount of information with the whole world and it definitely is not worth the damage to the fishery!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

LoonAsea-- how has your hard season been going? been out on island at all? i wish i was still living up in duluth, i really miss the fisheries up there.. the metro just doesnt compare... im lookin forward to getting the boat out on pool 2 of the mighty miss in about a month here. if your ever down in my neck of the woods you should give me a call

Jake Ive been spearing the hard water season most of the time

Has your cell number changed ???

LAS

I understand the frustrations of having someone camp out at "your spot", but we must remember that this a shared resource. As long as people respect the resource and practice C&R, the fish will survive. Just take a look at Mille Lacs as an example. With the advent of tribal fishing, everyone was ready to call it the dead sea, but with wise management, it is as good as ever. Having said that, you'll notice that most of my posts are thin on details. I'm not one to report to the News Tribune that I caught a 31" walleye from my favorite inland lake, because I know the resultant circus will wreck my enjoyment of said lake for the next few weeks. I'm selfish in that way. Maybe it's wrong, but at least I'm honest about it. Having said that, I think guys are out of line when they would dictate to others not to share info about their favorite holes. it's all up to the individual as to how and how much info to divulge.

In an ironic twist, think about how many fish the better fishermen out there hook. Think about the hooking mortality of an already stressed fish. Us good fishermen are responsible for the death of more fish(per capita) than all the weekend warriors. So if we are really serious about preserving the resource, it is us/we who should stay of the ice/water. Make sense? We catch too many fish compared to the rest of the crowd. Thus to preserve the fish, the most efficient fishers should be banned.

By "wise management" are you refering to the 16-17" slot that was imposed on the lake years back?

well heading out tonight. thanks for all the post and info hope me and the girlfriend get into a few between 3-6pm sounds like we will be going out from park point. let ya know tonight on how we do.

As long as fish are not overhandled and are returned hooking mortality is not that huge of an issue in my mind. Just look at bass tournaments were hundreds to thousands of fish get caught but are all released preserving the resource. Yes some fish will die but the difference between keeping limits upon limits and catching lots of fish but releasing them all is not a fair comparison of the effects on the resource. When im down in the cities I bass fish most of the time just because the fishing is so much better because people that fish walleyes on the lakes down there end up fishing the lakes out no matter how much stocking gets done. Most bass fishing especially the good anglers release many fish and the fisheries remain healthy.

Angling pressure is so huge on our resources these days that catch and release is becoming more and more important. I have alot more fun catching tons of fish than catching just a few and eating them.

Just my two cents but lets get the thread back on target. Im guessing 100 plus people will be on the bay saturday(that may be conservative) I will be out saturday and sunday trying to stay away from the crowds as much as possible and will report how things go. Good luck everyone!

I just find it funny how guys who 1st learned these area waters by either watching FM boards or fishing with people from them are all of a sudden against posting info. crazy

Just the fact that I see them on here reading these posts and gathering the info, not really giving anything back, tels me what they are really doing.

Lota and Loonasea its nice to see you guys posting again. What brought you out of the woodwork?

Jake Ive been spearing the hard water season most of the time

Has your cell number changed ???

LAS

nope my cell number is the same. i am hoping to get out on the river a few times this spring, we should definitely get together again. ive been out in the garage the past few nights doing stuff to the boat... its an understatement to say im eager for all the ice to melt. what lake have you been spearing on?

i found a really nice panfish spot on a local duluth area lake... me and fishinfey8 might be up next weekend and if we are, we should get out on the water

Hey Steve,

I'll assume that you're referring to me, Skipper's Kid and LoonASea in your opening statement. For my part I did connect with a bunch of FM guys when I moved to Duluth about ten years ago (that was part of the "different stages of an FMer" bit). I didn't know anyone up here and it was a nice bunch of fellow fishers to connect with right off. While it's a bit of an overstatement to say I first learned these waters from FMers it is true that I've gone ice fishing on new water with BD110 and learned some about the STL out of your boat. You've both also climbed in my boat and learned some about running dipsies, planers and deep water tactics. That is the valuable part of FM that I am talking about. The opportunity to connect with guys that share the same interest in the resource that I do and learn from those connections. What I also learned early on is to take care reporting on some of the areas I fish. Without going into specifics, I was burned pretty badly early on by sharing sensitive information with folks I thought would keep quiet (I'm not talking about you). It didn't work out that way. Lesson learned and it's changed the way I handle myself on the board. I fish deep water and you'll see reports on this forum and others about those outings. I can report on tips/tactics/results in a way that helps guys figure out where to start but not bring a pile of boats onto my AO. I also fish steelhead and musky. You won't see reports about those from me. But, if you've got my cell and can keep a lid on it, I'm usually around and willing to talk fishing.

lota lota...

i found a really nice panfish spot on a local duluth area lake... me and fishinfey8 might be up next weekend and if we are, we should get out on the water

Fishinfey8 found the really nice panfish spot thank-you... smilewink

Steve, your last post was probably directed to me too. Yes, FM was instrumental in helping point me in the right direction when I first started fishing the area. And, I have not contributed much in my tenure here. I feel that even a general description is sometimes too much and I don't want to put the masses on good bite. Hope to see you in the islands soon.

RB

I agree that there is nothing wrong with general reports and and sharing of information but some folks on the Duluth board feel the need to report sometimes twice a day, every day about their fishing reports and get pretty specific. Are you fishing for enjoyment or for braggin rights?!? I agree a forum like this is for sharing but it seems some people are really taking it to extreams. I have no problem with everyone fishing, actually I encourage it, but i would say it's a safe bet that a whole lot of folks wouldn't be fishing the harbor or certain areas of the harbor if it wasn't for all the " hot bite" talk on this thread. My opinion is that yes it is a two fish limit on the river, but with all the presure this year it will affect the fishery. Females preparing to spawn are senative fish. All the presure may not make a huge impact, but it very well could, who knows. The river is a great fishery and I hope to see it that way in the future.

I hear all of what you guys are saying. Its interesting to see those who stepped up and responded to my last post and who didnt. Im not going to reply to specific individuals.

Im not going to start a war of words with anyone. Just remember why you guys all show up here. Im betting its to read reports, gather info and hopefully be able to use it all.

If you think my reports are too often, too specific or just to brag so be it. I will tel you that never have I made a post about the bay that would put people on a specific area where I was catching fish. Never! I may have been followed to some areas mad but I never made any type of post saying "hey guys fish here".

Lets remember I can tel you what to use, what depth about, what time of day and you may still not catch fish.

If you want to blame me for the pressure the bay is getting thats fine. I do deserve some of that for putting out the reports I do. I have been flamed here, on other sites and in e-mails over this. Funny thing is the same guys complaining and flaming me about my posting I see on the bay often and I see them on here reading the reports.

The river will be fine guys. I bet come opener we have another good one and we will for years. The big bite is over and all the fish have moved on up river to areas most people will never venture out to. Im guessing what we just had in the bay was like the crappie boom on Red. It didnt last and wont be seen again for generations. Lots of things came together this year for this to happen the way it did. I would like to see the river like this every year. That will tel us its really healthier than we thought.

As long as we toss back the 20 to 28" inchers who do the bulk of the spawning success from what Im told and take pics of the majority of bigger ones we will be fine. I wont go on my slot limit kick again.

I hope you all catch plenty of walleyes on the river this summer and practice selective harvest so we can have this type fishing for a long long time.

was on the bay tonite.slippery!!we got there at about 6pm found an out of the way spot & drilled some holes in 14, 7, 9, & 10 fow.only there till 8pm & i got zero but my brother got a 30+ inch pout.first time i ever saw one live & boy are they ugly.

as for keeping fish, we've always let the bigger ones go anyway because the bigger & older fish have more contaminants in them, like mercury & such.just the way my grampa & dad taught us & its somethin to think about.

was only in 8 feet of water tonight in the flats. Got one real nice walleye on camera but no takers around 4 ish. I should probably be more towards the bridge out from the iced in red ship tomorrow? was using a macho minnow tonight. thinking of purchasing a lindy flyer tomorrow in the a.m.....any tips or areas? i just want to fight a few fish. (catch and release).

was only in 8 feet of water tonight in the flats. Got one real nice walleye on camera but no takers around 4 ish. I should probably be more towards the bridge out from the iced in red ship tomorrow? was using a macho minnow tonight. thinking of purchasing a lindy flyer tomorrow in the a.m.....any tips or areas? i just want to fight a few fish. (catch and release).

Its been a pretty tough bite all over pikepatroller. If you got 1 nice fish you did better than a lot of guys I talked to last night. There is no 1 area thats the cure all. I would say find something on the gps that you like and stay away from others and their noise.

Im still getting fish on that same old Rainbow Lindy Flyer so I would get one if you can find them. Marine General and Gander are low but the Bait Box in Superior has a bunch. Plus they have some real nice sized chubs.

Please slow down out there people! No need to go over 20 mph. Especially in the parking lot. I watched one fool go through the lot at like 35 mph. No need for that. On the ice that fast driving stresses the ice and causes water to fly out of others holes. I swear some guys were doing 40 mph on the ice. crazy Of course dont drink and drive!

I will second the rainbow flyer....its a great all around lure and having a few in the box will not hurt. They will catch ya perch, walleye, sauger, crappie and just about everything else. pikepatroller, as northlander stated the bite has slowed considerably down there. Make sure ya stay out of the crowds and find any type of structure or bottom transition you can.

Northlander- before you compare the hot bite on the bay to the crappie boom on Red lake think about what happened to cause the boom. First off there was a complete decimation of the walleye population by overharvest (being it tribal or not). So naturally the crappies moved up to fill the niche in the food chain that the walleyes once held. After the walleyes were starting to be restocked along with very tight restrictions on angling, the walleyes came back and the crappie populations went back to their normal levels. This is the exact reason that I first posted that we need a 15- 20" slot on the river to protect what we have now, so we don't get the Red lake syndrome on the river.

Good Day

Does this sound like anyone you know? "I'm concerned about an over-harvest of prespawn walleyes on the river, but don't ask me NOT to fish for them." The cries of overharvest ring hollow if the guys doing the crying are still out there fishing. It's an attitude of "I got mine, now the rest of yoose guys get lost". Share the resource. Practice C&R. Be courteous to the clown who invades your space. (then cut his lines) Not really. There are a lot of guys out there who are totally oblivious to fishing etiquette. If we hope to educate them, we must do it with a carrot, not a stick. Remember, at some point in our development, we were that guy.

I lived in bemidjistate for 5 great years of redlake crappies. I have 2 of them mounted on my wall 17s. Huge! Now that the crappie boom is over, I don't venture that way anymore, except to bemidji where there is still gods action on local lakes. I do feel the importance of letting the nice eyes go to do there thing. You'll never see me bringing home a trophy walleye from the river! I would much rather take a pic and get a replica! They look better and last longer anyway! I am much in favor of protecting this fishery for future generations!!!! CATCH and RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...This entire post has been so interesting. I even find the unwarranted criticism of the regular posters interesting. Being new to the area, i have had the incredible opportunity to watch these posts without knowing who is whom. With my history and experience in the walleye world, I really didn't care who was in what house or who was posting what specific information. I was pulling my sled out on the ice with the very first walleye anglers on the bay this year. (prior to everyone driving wherever they want to). Believe it or not, i was fishing the spot that the young punk gave me the stare down treatment for at least a month before he got there with his truck, trailer and snowmobile. (hehe) It was really fun to go out and think about where the guys might be that were posting the better reports. Did i go out and look for them? not a chance. Did i pay attention to the guys that were good enough to actually share something of substance? sure did and sure do. A big part of the fun for me is to compare my personal success with the rest of the guys. That's what public fishing forums are meant to be. Participate if you want, read posts, create a post; whatever you want. They are meant to be internet places to go to share "like experiences" with people that have "like interests". If any of you think that sharing knowledge and fishing techniques will be the demise of the sport - you really need to relax and remember that fishing can be a lot of fun when all of us conduct ourselves in a responsible manner. Pulling fish from shallow water and immediately releasing them after taking resonable care of the fish is not a problem. Especially in the cold water. Fight these fish, enjoy the experience and the day and return your fish to the water if that is what you want. I hope all of us return any fish over 19 inches. Thats my slot. I have kept a few fish under 19" on the SL River this year and my buddies and I have released several nice fish that were much bigger than that. Individual anglers making a positive impact on the fishery. Thats what I have always encouraged people to do. That is - make decisions within the legal harvest that you feel good about.

Taking unnecessary shots at guys that are having fun and sharing information in a public forum is really uncalled for. Fishing is a lifestyle for some people. Thank goodness there are guys with the knowledge willing to share and help others. Knowledge of how to fish has never - never hurt a fishery. Irresponsible anglers have hurt fisheries. Sitting on Mille Lacs in August with incredible heat and pulling eyes into the boat and letting the fish flop around on the bottom of the boat while you try to photo the fish and drop it on its head a few times is a bad decision. Pulling eyes up 6-10 feet from the SL River at this time and releasing them in a responsible fashion doesn't do any measurable damage to the fishery. There is a ton of information available on the interent regarding fish mortality; but the most important thing to know is that you can watch the fish you are handling and if you are a reasonably experienced angler; you know if you handled the fish correctly or you also know if you took one too many photos prior to releasing the fish.

Please, get over the whining about how much sharing information damages the fishery and educate yourself and your fishing buddies on the importance of proper handling and catch - photo - release techniques. Once you catch enough of these big gals; the importance of the photo may even diminish and then the catch and release technique is even quicker.

Stay within the legal harvest and make individual decisions within the legal harvest that will enhance the opportunities for you and all your fishing buddies to "catch her again". After all, i think all Northlander and some of the other regular contributors have done here is try to be great stewards of the fishery and enhance your opportunity to "catch her again". Thanks for the input. Enjoy fishing the SL River and keep "her" future in mind.

Northlander- before you compare the hot bite on the bay to the crappie boom on Red lake think about what happened to cause the boom. First off there was a complete decimation of the walleye population by overharvest (being it tribal or not). So naturally the crappies moved up to fill the niche in the food chain that the walleyes once held. After the walleyes were starting to be restocked along with very tight restrictions on angling, the walleyes came back and the crappie populations went back to their normal levels. This is the exact reason that I first posted that we need a 15- 20" slot on the river to protect what we have now, so we don't get the Red lake syndrome on the river.

Good Day

I agree but maybe to make it easy on everyone we could just do the 20" rule like the rest of MN? 1 trophy over lets say 28"?

Well said Jim.

If you're predisposed to eating the larger fish, it won't be long before we'll be able to identify you by the iridescent glow emitting from your skin at dusk.

If you're predisposed to eating the larger fish, it won't be long before we'll be able to identify you by the iridescent glow emitting from your skin at dusk.

or the third arm on your future child.

Jim- you hit the nail on the head buddy! We all fish down there for fun and to have a good time, there is no need to have all this tension in between everyone.

Anyways, Hopefully we can find a few fish tonight! ill see ya down there!

Anyone who thinks this has no effect on the fishery should drive down Mesaba Ave. about 4PM any given night and look to the bay. I couldnt believe it, the hoards of people out there. I'm sure everyone down there releases anything over 20 inches...I'm sure everyone down there isnt looking for the next trophy to stick on the wall...You can all talk about how well you care about this resource, and how you practice CPR, but the fact is there are probably HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of people that have been educated through this thread that could care less. This has turned into a trophy hunt...a bragging board! My friends and I always practice CPR no matter where we are, but relying on the rest of the crowd to do the same is just plain crazy.

I will be fishing tonight and having fun while others are thinking and worrying about how many we catch! Looking forward to another fun night of ice fishing. Remember friends, "we; the actual fishermen" are the ones that can make a positive difference on the SL River and every other water we fish. *Don't wait for the government to protect us from ourselves. Great day out there.

Optimus, you assume everyone is catching fish and keeping hogs. It's not happening. Steve, you've probably put in as much time as anyone this winter. How many 28"+ fish have you iced? And consider that Steve is among the better anglers out there. I would hazard a guess that less than 15% of the guys are catching more than half the total number of fish, and releasing 95% of those, so where is this damage that everyone is so worried about? I'd be more concerned with the contests held during the summer where spawn-stressed fish are pulled from warmer water and placed in live wells for several hours before being weighed. In a nut shell, If you're worried about the resource, stop fishing, and if you're really worried, start educating others, but don't deny someone the opportunity to catch a fish of a lifetime just because you don't want YOUR fishing encroached upon. There are a LOT of fish out there. The pressure now isn't what it was 20 years ago and the fish are still there.