• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

Put in at boy scout this morning, fished from about 8:00 - 11:30 and had OK luck on spinners and crawler, got 3 16.5" in the box, a few more small ones that had to go back. Most of the fish came in the spirit lake area. Got one of the keepers just down from boy scout. Boats around us also seemed to be catching. Then about 11:30 the wind came up and the fish quit. Then the rain came and still nothing. Ended up wet and cold. Couldn't even pick up the worms off the floor my fingers were so stiff. Took a ride up to walleye alley and nobody was fishing up there. By the time we were done I think we were the last trailer in the parking lot. Even the C.O. didn't stick around. Hopefully better luck and action tomorrow.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I hope you did not keep 3 16.5" walleyes on the river because your limit is 2 and they must be over 15". You may already know this but when you say in the box it sounds like you kept the 3. Or maybe you had 2 guys in the boat?

Does that limit include the whole river system all the way up to the source?

By the time we were done I think we were the last trailer in the parking lot.

I think " we " means he was not fishing alone Steve. You must have misread the post. Happens. Nice job on some good eaters Mojo.

Finally the weather improved to the point where the wife would come out with me, after a whole weekend of chores. But I was a successful failure. Yes, we came back with four great eyes in the live well and released several sub 15" fish. Boated nice walleyes, a northern, and a dandy crappie. Even the dog was fun to have aboard. But I failed to put my wife on a single fish of any kind. I Even switched rods with her. No difference. Although the crappie and northern hit hard, the eyes just mouthed light jigs in the 60 deg. current and it seems she could not detect but a single bite.

Got out this afternoon. Hit the arrowhead flats. Tried running some bombers in the five to seven foot range, but it didn't produce. Did get one 17in eye on a harness and worm.

Improvedarock, I believe the 2 walleye limit is only for the lower St. Louis River from the 23 bridge and down river from there.

Yes NL - Saturday I was fishing with my father in law so we ended up 1 less than our limit.

Yesterday we hit walleye alley and I picked up 2 eaters right away on the first pass, then one sub 15" that went back, then nothing after the wind kicked up. Missed a couple of bites but it got slowwww. Fished a bit around boy scout, then went down to 60/61 and saw only a couple of fish caught there. My FIL picked up a 22" that we put back. I think the high pressure/high skies turned them from aggressive in the morning to sluggish in the afternoon. Guess the early bird would have gotten the worm yesterday, as we didn't get on the water until about 9.

I fished from Barkers to Boyscout the past 2 days and found plenty of fish all over the place. No 1 area held a bunch but many places held a few. Crappies were also quite willing to hit my hair jigs under a bobber. Weather continues to be poor but Im hoping once we get a few nice days in a row them eyes will really start snapping.

Spinners with crawlers and sticks/cranks both took fish.

On the flats weeds were key. Find some new growth weeds and the fish werent far away. Perch seemed to be a pain but some were keeper sized others were just worm steelers.

All in all I think the TPWA contest on Sunday will have a lot of fish caught, photo and released.

Best crank was the pink lemonade reefrunner and the shad rap #7 in chart/white or blue/silver. Best blade color was different depending on if we had clouds or not. Gold with red beads was good all day as well as pink white.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How's the fishing been?

Rick did you read the thread at all? Fishing has been good. Over 100" took the TPWA on Sunday.

Nope I didn't have a partner. Im glad I didn't the weather sucked big time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I did read the thread Northlander and the last report was almost a week old. Things change a lot in a week. Thanks for the heads up on the great fishing.

I really do need to get out fishing with you sometime.

You da man dude! smile

Any time rick. Between now and mid july we should have a good bite going on the big lake.

You were better off Steve. We called it at 1pm. We were both soaked, myself right through my Arctic Armor to my skin. The stitches started leaking and it was over.I had too busy a work week to risk getting sick. All the same congrats to those who stuck it out. Over 100in is awesome. Who pulled that anyway?

We fished Sunday (day after Captains Platter) in the lake and also the bay. We ended with our limit of eyes out of the bay (5 guy limit in under 2 hours), 26 in. being the biggest. We also landed 4 lakers and 2 salmon out in the swells. The weather was nasty, but when you're catching fish and spending time with friends it doesn't matter.

Just got back from fishing near Boy Scout Landing. It was my first time fishing there. What a beautiful area! I loved the ferns growing along the sides of the river. We didn't do perhaps as well as some of the others posting here but it was fun being on the water. For a late afternoon of fishing we ended up with 3 northerns and a walleye. All were taken on medium sized cranks. Wind was nasty. Is it always like that in "walleye alley"?

We fished both Sat & Sun, caught a few walleyes in the flats off arrowhead on Saturday evening. Sunday was slow, didn't see too many others catching much fish either. Ended up pulling in one catfish in Spirit Lake. Still a good day and made it back before the gusty thunderstorm blew in.

We fished sat and sun and fished mostly flats. caught a lot of the 14-21" fish but few bigger. We had some dandy flurries where we didn't have any of 4 rods in the water and were double netting at times.

Jeremy it was a blast on Saturday and your welcome any time.

fathers day had a co worker and his son in the boat and we again found lots of keeper sized fish. Had our 6 fish in 40 minutes. Went through a ton of crawlers. Got off the water before the big rain/winds hit so over all it seemed like we made the right choices this weekend.

The 1 thing that was evident was pink was hot all weekend in any conditions.

I hope the bite continues for Lincoln Park Contest on Saturday.

Thanks again Steve for sharing your techniques and knowledge! I had a great time and plan on taking you up on your offer. The fact that we got keeper fish was a bonus. Crawlers definitely seemed the way to go.

Bite continues to be real good on the river flats. Pink as well as glow/perch blades have been best but gold/red is also putting out a few. If you have any Pink UV blades make sure you have at least 1 of them bad boys out. wink

I hope the weather and bite are still hot on Saturday for The Lincoln Park Contest.

Can you say MUD? Wow its every place you go and the bite is starting to slow because of it. No more rain!

You're not kidding about the mud. You can see the mud lines from the Bong Bridge. Are people still catching walleyes on the flats?

I got 4.85" of rain at my house Friday-Saturday so it dose not surprise me that there might be a little mud.

You're not kidding about the mud. You can see the mud lines from the Bong Bridge. Are people still catching walleyes on the flats?

Not many.

fish are being caught on the flats, in front of the entrys and in the bay.many were caught tonight in league, largest was 19, many in the 18 range. was a good night on the river tracker 185.

When a 19 is big that tels me the bite isnt good yet. As far as the bay its been ok but nothing big for numbers or size. Its the cleanest water so that makes sense. Im going to hit the big lake and see if I can find some clean water some place and get a few eyes. Thats if it doesnt rain. LOL.

fish are being caught on the flats, in front of the entrys and in the bay.many were caught tonight in league, largest was 19, many in the 18 range. was a good night on the river tracker 185.

Spinners or jigs? I was going to head out this pm but the forecast doesn't look promising