• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

When I left work yesterday I watched a brave soul come out of the entry and head south along park point. There looked to be alot of bergs still floating between Rices and the liftbridge.

How does everyone think that not having the nav bouys past the lower end of Spirit lake will effect fishing pressure? Coast Guard mentioned at least 3 areas (one near the lower end of Spirit, another near the top, and one near walleye alley) that there is not a channel at least 6' deep across the whole river. I see some serious metal being left on the bottom of the river this year. I think my opener will be spent elsewhere this year.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

I will say that the time it would have taken to put the buoys in would be less than what they will be taking getting boat aground calls and maybe worse. I think we will have even more folks on the river because the inland lakes may not be open yet.

The CG won't respond or assist with boat aground calls or alike type calls on the river. They may show up at some point but the help given will be nil. My experiences with the CG locally is they don't actually do much of anything when it comes to public service. It will all fall on the Sheriff and DNR.

The CG commander said that the reason they were not putting them in was not a lack of time, but rather that if the bouys are in place they are in effect saying that there is at least 6 feet of navigable channel.

Due to these 3 areas (that they know of) not having a 6' deep spot thru them, they will not mark the whole river. It will be bouyed up to just downriver of the first shallow area (last bouy will be 36). They said some channel areas were only 1-2 feet deep now.

I'm sure the river will be loaded with folks the first week, and until some of the larger lakes up north open. I'll be out looking for some candy wink

Anyone care to report what the river "channel" is like from boy scout up-river? Are the spots that were 8-12 ft. gone? It's hard to believe the entire river from 23 to Oliver maintains less that 6 ft. of water...???

The Time Bandit was in there hauling gear today. The Hilstrand bra's had smiles on there face off loading at the dock.

I will probably hit the pond on opener although I'm sure the landings on the river will be the typical, opening weekend zoo.

It seems to me that fishable conditions on the river have come far and few in between than I remember. It either floods or is too low

Sherps and I took out our respected boats today to run some fresh gas through and make sure stuff was in working order (and it was). Launched at Clyde. Water temp was 38-40 degrees. Marina had ice between docks still. And there was also a lot of snow/ice on differing shorelines. Water was also muddy. There was a little ice floating in different spots. Was nice to st back on the water. Looking forward to this coming season (starts Saturday for us sconnies)

The northwestern was fighting the ice pack today. Sigs face was red with anger!

Ran the old lund all the way up to 23 from the high bridge yesterday and had no issues. Stayed in the channel when running, even where there isnt supposed to be 6' of water confused, and had no issues. Water is murky and fast. Its going to be a crazy opener. Be safe and watch out for others who surely will only be on the river because there favorite lake is locked up.

Northlander, in terms of tea or chocolate milk, what shade of murky is the river? Is the river "normal" color for this time of year or full of silt/run-off?

my advice would be if you have not ran the river since the flood , stay below spirit lake, if your new to the river stay below the arrow head flats. enjoy the opener and be safe. tracker 185

Its darker for sure and more like choc milk than tea. As it is now its doable but too much run off too fast will surely have it darker by opener. Like tracker said if you dont know the river stay where the buoys are below clough island. Lots of good spots to fish down there.

The wicked tuna guys are pumped for st Louie opener action in the slow bite cold water.

Did the flood effect the new habitat the DNR made below the fond u lac dam? I think they had just finished it like a month or 2 before the flood.

OIm sure it had to it was wicked up there!

Got out tonight to do a test run. Went up to the south side of Spirit Lake. Guess I am curious why they didn't mark the channel up to where it gets shallow? Northlander where abouts does it start to get shallow? I was still in 20 plus feet of water.

The only shallow spots I found was in the usual spots at the bottom and top of the sliver island by spirit lake and of course above water street to the 23 bridge. Myself I think they could have at least put buoys to Oliver but probably all the way to water street. I have seen the river lower thats for sure.

The saga captain took care of a government half arse job. It's good private sector did it the only way which is right on bra's

We caught one 2lb sucker. Missed a nice eye. Saw one other nice eye caught. Lots of boats no other action from what I saw. Tried moving around but, the wind picked up and we left. Fished for about 4.5hrs.

Fished from midnight to about 10 am. Got 3 eyes jigging. All too big. It was a poor bite and weatyher sucked. I guess in the afternoon once the water warmed up nguys did better trolling cranks.

Hey Steve, could I run my 20' boat from say arrowhead flats up to the oliver bridge without worring about stumps on the south side of spirit lake? I heard that it filled in over there

Yes. people were running all over the place. Only those with out gps had issues.

Newb wanting to fish the river and change things up from fishing the Big lake.

Can anyone give my any pointers on what to use for fishing the river. I don't want anyone secret spots, just ideas on what I should be using.

Jig head tipped with a minnow (Head, tail, whole thing)

Jig with a leech

Harness with a leech bottom bouncing.

Trolling stick baits (IS what I will default to if I can't get any assistance)

Thanks for the help guys. I will be out Saturday fishing the river. Have a buddy coming up from Iowa, and he wants to try something other than fishing the big lake, so this will be totally new to me.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Worms will work as well. I would try up river. Be careful as there were no bouys from the down river end of spirit lake and beyond to mark the channel. At least as of Saturday. If you have a GPS and map use it. If you go out of the boyscout landing you won't have to do a lot of running to get to fishable areas, as you'll be up river right from the get go. Good luck!

use caution saturday, there is a tournement going on with a lot of boat running around. tracker 185