• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

We are coming through the channel early this morning with what I was told will be the last lakeer laying up for the season.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Had a nice day yesterday with my brother and Sherp to make up for the night before. Caught about 15 nice crappies (biggest was pushing 14", 3 perch, 2 gills and 3 walleyes (13", 14 5/8", and 17"). Fishing was slow at times, but staying persistant paid off.

Btw the night before we had 4 shacks between us dudes set up in an area and last night 2 new shacks came in to use the area. Wonder if they caught anything cuz we got pretty much skunked the night before

I am looking at taking the 4-wheeler out on the river this weekend. Wondering what the ice is like after the channel being broke up down by the airport. Also I've never hit the Arrowhead flats in the winter. Just looking to get a feel for it. I was thinking I'd go off of the landing down there on the Wisconsin side. I am just not sure of how to get there. Do people take 4-wheelers out down there? How much ice is there in this area?

Im thinking there's a decent amount of ice pretty much everywhere except where the cutter goes through obviously, we've had some insane low temps this past week. That kinda sucks that the cutter did go through though cuz we would've been able to walk from the wisconsin side this weekend, not anymore.

I don't know if they open up the channel all the way up to the Arrowhead flats. My thinking is that they don't. Either way there are plenty of spots to hit up there, so as you said about the low temps; I think the ice would be good if you stay away from the channel. I've never fished this part of the river on the ice, so I am just trying to be safe. In turn I also know this area very well because I have fished it on open water for about 8yrs now.

Left my trailer ramps behind when I finished fishing this morning. cry Thanks to Shane for picking them up and bringing them to me when I came back to grab them! laugh I did manage a few eyes this morning.

Fished the bay from 2:30 till 5:30. I never graphed a fish. Pulled 2 surgeon up with the bobber line. Pretty slow for the evening bite

Hello Anglers. I am fairly new to HSO and can't believe what I have been missing out on! Nice to see guys/gals sharing tips/ideas so that everyone can enjoy the sport. I fish the river frequently on open water, but never have through the ice. I would like to find some walleyes and was wondering if you would suggest trying up river near Clyde/Boyscout or trying the bay of the MN side instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Flyin Ryan,

Welcome to HSO, looking forward to having you as another member to our community.

You could try down by water street area and find fish. In my experiences the fish run small, but some can be respectable if lucky enough. Down in the harbor, chances of a bigger fish are better, but one has to put in the time.

Tonight we fished the harbor and not to be discouraging to you but we caught 1 perch and only marked a couple fish. It was slowwww.. But that's the way it goes sometimes!

Good luck man

Jarrid

Thank you for the response! I appreciate it. I live in Superior but typically fish Boulder when looking for walleye and that has been marginal at best, so I figure I'll give it a shot closer to home on the river. Thanks again!!

Ryan

Our group caught 4 walleyes on the river, wisconsin side yesterday afternoon. Bite was from 3-4pm, then current switched and went calm. It's been so slow for us lately, it was nice to see there are still fish in there. LOL.

I fished from 2:30-6:00 pm. I was in 12 feet of water. I ended up with 2 eyes and a perch. Still really slow in the bay area. I think it's time to chase the pan fish. Good luck all

Myself and Jarrid Houston hit the bay and caught about 15-20 fish. Biggest was a 25"er. Best bite was about 4pm. Had a BIG fish bite off a jiggin rap and missed another nice one on a jiggin rap. Others bit on Northland forage minnow spoons and Lindy Rattlin Flyers in rainbow and perch colors.

Pink seemed to be the color tonight, got about 20 with the biggest being about 21". All released.. Be interesting to see if this weather disrupts the bite. Best bite today was 3-4

Went out with a buddy on Wednesday evening and caught 7 eyes 14" to 17". from 3-5pm we marked the most fish. It was a fun and rewarding night actually working the fish and triggering them to bite as many of them would come up and go back down repeatedly.We were both using a green,yellow, and orange jig tipped with a minnow head. Bouncing the jig off the bottom once or twice seemed to immediately gain attention of nearby fish.

Wow on the bite Northlander! Must have been a hot spot. I'd like that GPS. Was it by the sunflower seeds? :)) Had some fun there for the 2 weeks prior. wink Like ya said raps and lindy flyers in tiger or rainbow.

blackarrow1 its nice to see you finally posting here. Ya I know you now the spot I was fishing. Ill be on it again monday tomorrow is Jim Hudsons funeral.

Hit the bay the last 2 nights, caught 2 both nights 21",14" yesterday, a couple 12" today...The 21" was my biggest this yr...green spoons worked tonight...Boy its a heck of workout pulling my loaded sled now with this dang snow, makes me miss the slick early ice smile

The fish are around down there. Gotta do the Work and find where they are active. If ya do get on some enjoy it and keep quiet, or the area will be ruined by people. Best couple weeks coming now. Keep drilling.

Wasn't very good today. Bad east wind. Fish seemed neutral to negative. Tough pulling through the snow down there;). Set line and rainbow forage buckshot was all they'd touch.

Black arrow what kind of structure do you go on out there...I have been trying humps and down in the trough and seem to usually get 2 a night, no real good nights....went off park pt yesterday didn't even mark one...any help would be awesome...I'm waiting for one of those "Northlander" nights smile

Blackarrow1 is a good friend of mine and he likes to fish the same type areas I do. Look for spots that have neck downs or saddles even if its only a few feet depth difference. I like shallow early and late and deeper in the 12-22' mid day.

If your doing the shallow bite lately it seems like a 6 fish night is real good. They tend to be a bit bigger at times. One thing we have noticed is if your marking a lot of ruffies the bite will be slow. When they disapear the bite usually picks up. I guess it means someone that could eat them is close by? wink

The bite has been slower the past few times out because of this NE wind and unstable weather.

We did well for only 2.5 hours of fishing on Thursday. Caught six and threw back four. Two 14"s ,a 15", 16.5", and a 25". Fish shut down at 5 for us.

full-40309-29959-img_20130207_045332.jpg

full-40309-29960-img_20130207_071745.jpg

Nice fish guys. Lots of lookers tonight. Did manage a couple. Missed a few too, they were all very finicky.

I had a great night yesterday. caught 22 fish between 14" and 26". Most in that 18-20" range. Jigging raps, northland rap and a gold williams wobbler all got a bunch. Lindy flyer and Lindy darter also worked. When they came in they hit.

Must have been putting on the feed bag before the storm.

I jigged 1 rod. I change baits often because I think certain fish will hit a vertical jig when they shy of the horizontal . I have my 10 baits or so I try most times out. Some times rattles turn them off others they want to hear it. Some times a pounding lure is better than a fluttering one. Its all about feeling fish out and seeing what they want. Although I got a few fish I did have periods of slowness and thats when I see if I can call fish in with flash or size/sound or banging bottom.

I will say I do tend to be much more agressive than most folks I fish with out there. If the fish get finicky I at times go small but more than not I tend to go bigger. You would be surprised how many times fish that shy away from some smaller baits will slam a bigger spoon or rap.

Oh and no matter what spoon or rap Im using I always go up at least 1 size on the trebles and most times 2.

There ya go washing lures. I hope that helps you out and you catch a bunch next time out.

Ditto on the aggressive style. Haven't fished for a while our there cuz Ive been on Mille lacs, but last time I was out there it took a bigger gold rap and a very aggressive jigging to entice them. If you brought em up and slowed down or stopped and waited for the hit they would just fade away. It took heavy fast moving then slam... Can't wait to get back to the riv, Mille lacs is not panning out this week