• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Louis River Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jarrid Houston

• Sherpa

• Jack Stasney

Is the rowing club public access? I always see people using that area.

No its not, they have it sort of blocked off but people still use it. There are actually several areas around there where access is easy. I would stay down by the PP landing and go out off that parking area until the ice gets thicker. Only about 2-2.5" yesterday.

I don't know what the ice conditions are and haven't been down to PP yet, but there were about a dozen houses out yesterday on my way back from fishing. Think I'll be exploring down there weds and thursday.

We decided not to hit the bay this morning, I was a little nervous about it since there was only 2in a couple days ago, we decided to try Allouez Bay for the first time...We had a little bit of action got 2 nice perch and we missed 3...Kind wish we would have went and tried to the bay now, but perch sandwich for lunch it is..

I have been out the past 3 days and the ice is 2" to 5" depending on where you go. Stay away from the channel cuzz that breaker comes through and you will be filling your pants. LOL. Fishing has been ok to great depending on the day and where you set up. Lindy flyer in the rainbow is still hot as was the old school Rapala Tingler that I hope they are bringing back soon. Lots of nice perch too if you find the rubble to muc spots.

Bring ice cleats for sure and a good spud bar.

Ya we were in 10fow marked a lot of fish the perch seemed really aggressive they would just fire off the bottom....the one mark I missed I'm pretty sure if was an eye...Thanks for the info Northlander I was supposed to be going to mille lacs tomorrow, but I may just go to the bay instead since mille lacs isnt doing worth a dam it seems....Happy holidays!!!

Just wanted to remind people to be cautious out there. My neighbors dog either went through the ice or fell into an open hole in the river yesterday. He was not seen again. Most likely this happened out of the boyscout landing, but not sure as I didn't want to press for details. Be safe!! Hug your dogs.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Coast Guard is out there breaking ice. Be careful.

Besides from having a great morning fishing in the harbor and treading over cracks in the ice, I must have misplaced my backpack in the parking lot at park point. It was a BLUE Trailmaker Classic packback. If any HSO members has happened to run across it, just let me know.

Thanks,

Vuddah

The plan for ice breaking is Monday and Thursday leaving dock at 0900 for USCGC ALDER if/when schedule changes I will update this forum. We slow down when passing the group, good luck to the fisherman.

Picked up some good table fare tonight. Things were broken up out there a bit, but no large openings with the wind being down. I had a good 6in of ice.

I didn't catch anything but a rainbow trout this morning in front of the rowing club. Which I thought was interesting. It was it first time down there on the ice. Hopefully next time I can get on some fish.

I had my best morning to date this morning. I wound up with about 20 eyes, 3 perch and a nice pike. Eyes were 12" to 24". This morning I actually had a few eyes hitting my deadstick for a change. Seemed like the bigger the minnow on the deadstick the better it did.

With that said a certain bait shop in Superior had no fatheads, chubs etc. when I went there. NONE! I wont be wasting gas to go there ever again.

Caught a couple of eyes before dark and a perch. Lost the one flyer I had and then only lookers.

Just wondering if anyone has been catching any pout yet if so were I've been on nemadji for 4 nights now really quiet only got 3 this year thinking of hitting Boy Scout tonight

Will the pout be around boyscout all winter, or do they move out as the season progresses? Also, do the eyes bite during the day there, or is it early morning just like the harbor?

Pout will slowl taper off and the eyes bite the same on the river no matter what area you fish. You can get them mid day some times but its pretty slim pickins usually.

Last night was a slower night. Only 5 fish and only 1 over 17". No perch. Lots of houses moving to find fish in new areas. I recomend you check ice real good before moving towards the Hi Bridge and what we call the "turn around".

Tonights plan is the shallow late afternoon bite. Its hit or miss with this bite but usually the fish you catch are of better quality.

Fast question on pout I've been using smelt chunks on glow jigs jigging and on tip up plain hook when do the pout start to run up river and what time of night is really best sure went home to early last night was set up by 5 and left by 9 didn't get anything other groups down there didn't catch anything either was pretty slow last night any help would be wonderfull taking my kid with would like to get him a pout thanks for all the help

Pout usually start to run about christmas time and it slows down about now. Up river by Boyscout and 131st is better than in the bay on the flats for pout. Try a glow spoon packed with minnow parts and bang bottom slowly.

Hello, I am new to the area and I work in the South Superior and am looking for a place to get onto the water for eyes for the morning bite before work. The closer to south superior the better!

Any help is greatly appreciated

thank you

Try off the end of conners point you will see a spot where the guys fish down there. There has been 2 to 12 houses out there daily. Pretty easy pull out and fishing is usually ok.

I'm guessing it wasn't anyone on this site I saw do it this morning, but it's probably not a good idea to drive vehicles on the ice in the harbor yet folks. There is anywhere from 8-14 inches down there and there are many ACTIVE cracks.

IF you are going to drive, that's your choice, but please stay away from others.

This morning I watched two cars and a truck drive out into the middle of the group of houses out from the Rowing Club. Glad I wasn't in the crowd. It's a 5 minute walk with perfect conditions for pulling a sled...not sure how anyone could be that lazy.

Also, the Rowing Club is not a public access. Do not drive on the ice there and ruin it for everyone else.

First time out on the harbor yesterday. We went out of the rowing club around 7am and had our first eye by 11:30am 16 in. It was dead all afternoon as expected even after moving around alot. By 3pm the crowd started showing, by 4 we had our second eye at 16 in.

As the sun started going down, we were getting more bites. At one point 3 of our lines were down, missed every stinkin one! At around 5, I lost a huge one at the whole (wish I would've had my gloves on) oh well. As soon as I reloaded that line, bam! Another one takes it right away, it ended up being 23.5.

All the fish were caught on the green/glo lindy frostee, some bites were on a red hooked jig. Most of the action was between 430-530, then it shut down completly. I think having glo jigs helped cuz as soon as I recharged the glo, they would hit it almost immediatly.

Northlander, I did try the flyer a majority of the time I was there, no hits. But we didn't have a vexilar. Its hard to be patient jigging all the time without actually seeing the fish on screen, ha!

It was a good day!

I agree, theres no reason to get everyone else all nervous with it being unsafe ice as it is. Every time I heard a bout of cracking i felt like they were singling me out, quite scary when you can ACTUALLY feel the ice shifting.